Who do you like the Grey knights?

Ulfast

Hello fellow B&C members. I have been player some game of 8:ed with my old chaos and genestealer cult armies but I´m thinking to start something new and fresh and my eye came upon the grey knights. But i´m wondering what you who plays them like about them and what makes them diffrent from other armies?

I really like the miniatures (for a long time) but the army don´t have so many options and most units seems to be regular marines os terminators in diffrent forms. Can it get boring after a while and is it tactical bad as your opponent know (more or less) what is coming?

Please help someone that want to be a grey knight...! :)

Grey knights are an elite army and you will always be outnumbered, but this is countered by them being tough and able to cast smite from most units, although it is a lesser version.

While we dont have a great number of units the ones we do have get the job done, and can effectively work against other elite armies and hordes.

Granted as it stands currently our best hqs are Draigo, Voldus, Grand Master and Brotherhood champion but each is unique enough to bring good variation to the tabletop.

Units that are performing best at the minute are paladins as they are extremely tough as 3 wound terminators, interveptors provide good board control and a few players myself included have found purgation squads with 4 psilencers extremely effective.

Firesupport units are currently dreadnoughts due to them out performing dreadknights, as dreadknights seem to be underperforming for their cost in this edition so far.

Overall its a strong force but you have to play tactically as you will always be outnumbered.

We're super elite and invariably outgunned and outnumbered. 

Our main strengths come from a very strong alpha strike (Teleport Striking multiple squads on an enemy flank is hell, especially with no scatter or risk in 8th). 

We can back up this strong alpha with Dreadnoughts (which now finally shoot enemy vehicles and monsters quite efficiently) and Dreadknights (can be Teleport Striked into position alongisde your alpha). Both are excellent at their different roles (Dreadnoughts excel at shooting, Dreadknights at melee). 

Our infantry are powerful and flexible, but they're only Marine tough. So you really want to have a good first shooting and Psychic phase to whittle down enemy numbers, prior to charging into melee to leverage our lethal nemesis weapons. Strikes and Interceptors are solid, Paladins function as an infantry blender (complimenting your Dreads or DK's ability to kill enemy big stuff). 

Purgators are currently hobbled by the -1 to hit on the move with Heavy weapons and no distinctive abilities over Strikes or Interceptors (the former is our cheapest Troops option, the latter are mobile versions of Strikes). They may improve in the new codex coming soon. 

Purifiers are currently unusable, due to someone having PTSD from 'Cleansing Flame' last edition. Again, hopefully a unit GW revisits (3" psychic power is a joke, especially on a unit that can't Teleport Strike).

Terminators are outperformed by Strikes as Troops, and as a hard hitting infantry blender by Paladins. They would benefit from a cost downgrade and ignoring the -1 to hit on the move with Heavy weapons (as would Paladins and our TDA characters, who currently have zero incentive to take anything besides storm bolters for ranged firepower). 

Storm Ravens and Xiphons are both solid choices in 8th. The former is a powerhouse gunboat and will kill most non-Flyers it targets, plus you can split fire now and Machine Spirit lets you ignore the -1 for moving and shooting. The latter is very good at hunting enemy Flyers (which helps because Ravens are very popular in Marine lists, and if not dealt with represent a significant threat to our small but elite army).

The helmets.

That is legitimately why I started GK, that and I like paladins. As I read more into them I liked them more and more, plus being an elite army meant a cheaper army due to needing less dudes.

Here's hoping for storm shields with the codex. I love the look of a grey knight terminator with a shield and sword/halberd. Like Draigo. 

The idea of these badass demon-hunting knights in space, operating in total secrecy, fighting a shadow-war that the Imperium at large has no idea is even being fought, is just totally awesome. The medieval 'knights in space' theme is much stronger with the Grey Knights than any other faction and the models look freaking awesome, even if they are overshadowed by those ridiculous ogryn-sized nu-marines.

I'd say we're slightly restricted tactic wise but I think this new edition has slightly helped change that with the vehicle buff giving us more options than just deep striking everybody. Hopefully when the codex comes next month we'll get even more tactical options with stratagems and such.

That being said I've never been bored with my army and I would never take back my choice to start collecting GKs. I love our models and iconography as well as our fluff! The moment I saw our models I knew it was a done deal for me

Yeah, we don't have the tactical flexibility of say, normal Space Marines since we simply don't have units like Landspeeders or Scouts or Bikers, so we're a bit limited in scope but we still have a few different ways to play our army and like Soder, I've never found the army boring to play. Well, it was a bit boring when it was basically Codex: Dreadknight but thankfully that edition is done and dusted now!