The Lazurus Crusade: More Black Tide Feedback! 05/11/2018

Greeting Brothers,

This post is to introduce myself to everyone and announce the start of my own crusade!

I am very new to Black Templars but have been playing Imperial Guard for many many years. I am very excited to start my Black Templars, I have had dreams of a Black Tide since Templars were first announced but never had the chance, until now, to collect it.

My Crusade is starting off small but I plan to grow it into a mighty force. I currently have 2x 10 man crusade squads which I am still painting. Full Army so far below:

Squad Alpha:

1x Sword Brother with Power Sword and Combi Plasma

1x Initiate with with Plasma Gun.

1x Initiate with Power Sword and bolt pistol.

2x Initiate with Bolt Pistol and Chainsword.

5x Neophyte with Bolt Pistol and Combat Knife.

Squad Bravo: 

1x Sword Brother with Power Sword and Combi Melta.

1x Initiate with Melta Gun.

1x Initiate with Power Sword and bolt pistol.

2x Initiate with Bolt Pistol and Chainsword.

5x Neophyte with Bolt Pistol and Combat Knife.

I will post pictures regularly as I continue to paint my men. It will be hard to switch from painting hordes of Guardsmen to a basic standard to painting my Zealous Marines to the best of my ability, but with faith in the Emperor I will prevail!

I plan on adding another Crusader Squad (probably with flamer, loadout to burn heretics), a Chaplin and the Emperors Champion. I will also need some upgrade packs too (currently just using tactical marines). This should give me a legal Battalion at about 750 points. My Regular opponents are Tau, Blood Angels and Mechanicus. 

I look forward to joining this community properly (I have been lurking for many weeks) and I hope that I will be able to learn the ways of the Sigismund from my fellow Templars. One day I will hopefully rise above the rank of Neophyte and be able to pass my knowledge on to other Tempars. 

Imperator Vult!

Edited by Mordian Glory

Welcome to the crusade brother!

Consider Thunder Hammers on a sword brother.  2 attacks at 4+ to hit, Str 8, -3 AP, 3 Damage.  

They cost the same as Power fists this edition ... working on painting a couple up myself 

Welcome, Brother!

May the Emperor guide your sword as you fend off Mankind's foes and your brush as you progress with your painting!

Indeed, a Chapter Upgrade Box (or two) is highly recommended. It is a source of some nice bits (which stood the test of time quite well). As I like cheap solutions, I managed to reproduce the tabards from the upgrade sprue using green stuff and moulds quite successfully - so that's an option, too.

Speaking of options and recommendations, as you currently have a small force, have you considered magnetising your special weapons? That would definitely give you more flexibility, as well as could act as a safeguard against potential future changes in the weapons' rules and point costs.

Finally, I commend your selection of HQs! Are you planning on buying 'proper' models, or kit bashing some for the extra flavour?

Welcome to the Eternal Crusade brother, your appearance could not be more fortuitous. These are the times when the Emperor needs his sons more than ever.

Many crusades are being launched to combat the darkness and bring the Emperor's light to every corner of the galaxy.

We look forward to your crusade joining us and delivering your holy wrath and fury to the weak, the traitorous, and the alien.

IMPERATOR VULT!

Welcome to the crusade brother!

Consider Thunder Hammers on a sword brother.  2 attacks at 4+ to hit, Str 8, -3 AP, 3 Damage.  

They cost the same as Power fists this edition ... working on painting a couple up myself 

Thank you for accepting me brother! The Thunder Hammer is indeed a mighty weapon and I have been on the receiving end of them many times. I will have to source the bits but I will equip some of my sword (hammer) brothers with them. 

Welcome, Brother!

May the Emperor guide your sword as you fend off Mankind's foes and your brush as you progress with your painting!

Indeed, a Chapter Upgrade Box (or two) is highly recommended. It is a source of some nice bits (which stood the test of time quite well). As I like cheap solutions, I managed to reproduce the tabards from the upgrade sprue using green stuff and moulds quite successfully - so that's an option, too.

Speaking of options and recommendations, as you currently have a small force, have you considered magnetising your special weapons? That would definitely give you more flexibility, as well as could act as a safeguard against potential future changes in the weapons' rules and point costs.

Finally, I commend your selection of HQs! Are you planning on buying 'proper' models, or kit bashing some for the extra flavour?

Alas I have been over zealous and already glued many of the models together! Fortunately Melta and Plasma will always be good options for purging the foe.

In regards to the HQs, I will for sure buy the Emperors Champion model as I think it is amazing, the chaplin I may kitbash. I do like making custom models and have already customized several of my crusaders :smile.:   

Welcome to the Eternal Crusade brother, your appearance could not be more fortuitous. These are the times when the Emperor needs his sons more than ever.

Many crusades are being launched to combat the darkness and bring the Emperor's light to every corner of the galaxy.

We look forward to your crusade joining us and delivering your holy wrath and fury to the weak, the traitorous, and the alien.

IMPERATOR VULT!

IMPERATOR VULT! I will try not to let you down my brother! Though the road ahead is surely a hard one and I have no doubt that I will struggle in my first few games, I hope to learn and one day purge the enemies of Mankind!

Edited by Mordian Glory

Induction paddlin's are performed down the hall.  Have a seat in the waiting room, and be sure to enjoy the sitting while you're still able. :wink:

Thats a paddlin! 

First 2 Templars Completed!

A Sword Brother with Combi Melta and Power Sword and an Initiate with Bolt Pistol and Chainsword. I didn't realize that the Sword Brothers are meant to to have red/black shoulder pads until after I had done the shoulder pads, fortunately I can remove the current pauldrons a and replace them with red/black ones later smile.png

http://i.imgur.com/Sm7CERj.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/85Met4L.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/5TkeMlV.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/29PD9U6.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/VFn7TtS.jpg
Edited by Mordian Glory

Welcome!

Those models look really clean and neat. Good job!

On a side note Swordbrethren tend to have black shoulderpads with red crosses according to our 4th ed codex. If you like it better this way, more power to you, just thought I'd mention it ;)

A very nice white you've managed on the shoulders, but there's something distinctly missing from them...and drill your barrels!  Paddlin! :verymad:

Thanks! I Know I need to add the crosses to them. Fear not brother, for Ihave Transfers on the way and also Templar upgrade kits. Only 1 shoulder pad for each marine is glued in place, the right side one so Ican replace it with an upgrade pack shoulder pad and put a transfer on the other :)

Welcome!

Welcome!

Those models look really clean and neat. Good job!

On a side note Swordbrethren tend to have black shoulderpads with red crosses according to our 4th ed codex. If you like it better this way, more power to you, just thought I'd mention it :wink:

Thanks, it took a while to get the right level but I really like how crisp it looks. Also I leant about the black/redshoulder pads afteralready painting these guys. the right shoulder pad is not fixed in place on either model, so I can replace it with a black/red one on the sword brother when the upgrade kit arrives :)

Very clean painting, mate! Few questions as to how to achieved it: did you just user 100 layers of white to get that?

Is the armour straight abandon black? Are there highlights? I can't tell but it looks clean and nice

Thank you :) You are basically correct, I just did layer upon layer (about 8-10) of very thin white until I got the look I wanted. I was watching TV at the same time as painting so that might have slowed me down a bit, but I took about 45 minutes on each shoulder pad! The armour is just spray painted chaos black with a thin layers of abaddon where the spray didnt reach. I prefer matt black armour over shiney black so I didnt cover the whole model in abaddon :)

2 more marines are finished, pictures to come later :D

I like to have the same white and used to paint 2 layers of Dawnstone, 2 of Celestial Grey and up to 4 of White.

I've lately switched to a grey primer and it's much easier getting all the colours on, 2 layers of Ulthan grey and 2 of white, also every other colour like red and bone goes on nicely and black still covers in one go.

Greeting Brothers,

Apologies for the long delay between posts I have been working hard and have completed 2 more Initiates, A Plasma Gunner and a Bolt Pistol and Chainsword Brother. I plan on ordering 2x Black Templar upgrade packs this friday so I can start putting a 1 proper shoulder pad on each marine, along with some more Infantry and characters. 

Please see below for pics:

http://i.imgur.com/RdyoLlh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/d2YVMlh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/5GUkARo.jpg

I have also completed 5 Neophytes, pictures to come later :) 

This is very neat. I mean, very neat. Nice poses and everything. Also, it's nice to see that you stick to the classic Marines :wink:

Thanks! The fluff for my crusade is that is brand new and has only recently been formed. This explains why the armour of the marines is so crisp (its very new or has just been refurbished) and why there are so many neophytes in my army). 

Also I am not interested in adding Primaris to my crusade. I think the models are cool but they are not the reason I want to collect Templars (BLACK TIDE BABY). 

5 Bolt Pistol and Combat Knife Neophytes finished and ready to prove their worth!

These guys were actually the test models for doing white, which is why their shoulder pads are not as good as the initiates. I don not mind too much as Neophytes are cannon fodder and also it shows my progress from the lumpy neo shoulder pads to the clean Initiate pauldrons :)

I have finished 9 Templars so far and 9 others are part done. Its time to grow the crusade! I am heading down to GW after work today, not sure what I will get. I want more crusaders, but also I like the look of the start collecting set and Vanguard Veterans/Sword Brothers. Just so many choices!

http://i.imgur.com/89jvIVQ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/1QmtfEb.jpg

I had my first battle with my Black Tide today!

it was hard fought battle against a group of Heretic Blood Angels and many lessons were learned, but in the nothing could stop the ZEAL of the Templars :biggrin.:

Mission: Secure and Control (aka Emperor's Will)

Deployment: Frontline Assault

750pts Black Templar

Chaplin: No upgrades (Warlord Trait: Rites of War. Relic: Crusader Helm)

Castellan: Power Sword

Crusader Squad 1: 5x Neo with Bolt Pistol and Blade, 5x Initiate (3x Bolt Pistol and Chainsword, 1x Plasma Gun),  Sword Brother with Combi Melta and Power Sword.

Crusader Squad 2: 5x Neo with Bolt Pistol and Blade, 5x Initiate (2x Bolt Pistol and Chainsword, 1x Flamer, 1x Power Sword), Sword Brother with Combi Flamer and Power Sword.

Crusader Squad 3: 5x Neo with Bolt Pistol and Blade, 5x Initiate (2x Bolt Pistol and Chainsword, 1x Meltagun, 1x Power Sword), Sword Brother with Combi Plasma and Power Sword.

Crusader Squad 4: 5x Neo with Bolt Pistol and Blade, 5x Initiate (2x Bolt Pistol and Chainsword, 1x Plasma gun, 1x Power Sword), Sword Brother with Lightning Claws.

750pts Blood Angels

Captain: Power Sword and Chainsword (Warlord Trait: Legendary Fighter).

Sang Priest: Power Sword.

Sang Guard: 3x Encarmine Sword, 2x Encarmine Axe and Death mask

Tactical Squad: 5x Bolters.

Tactical Squad: 5x Bolters.

Scout Squad: 5x Snipers and Camo Cloaks.

Razorback: Twin Assault Cannon and Storm Bolter.

Razorback: Twin Assault Cannon and Storm Bolter.

I won't give a turn by turn account simply because I didn't take any pic until the end. Below is the rundown.

Templars had turn 1 and Angels did not seize.

My Black Tide advances forward, each unit on average advancing 10"

The Angels T1 they advance the Sang Guard forward and set up a firing line. They gun down about 10-12 templars but do not wipe a unit out. The Sang Guard fail the charge against the my line of crusaders.

T2 the Templars do an army wide charge. Having reroll charge distances was very very useful as it allowed me to get every unit into combat! I was able to charge his Scouts and a Tac squad with Crusader Squad 4. This combat would grind on until end of turn 4 with templars emerging with 5 guys left (Picture 1). They then moved onto the enemy objective and claimed it.

http://i.imgur.com/zwVySUK.jpg

My other 3 damaged Crusader Squads, Chaplin and Castellan charged the Captain, Sang Guard and other Tac Squad. It was bloody Melee but actually was over pretty quickly. I won the combat but only had 1 squad of 7 crusaders left they got shot down to 4 and then managed to lock one of razorbacks in combat until the end of the game.  (Picture 2)

http://i.imgur.com/tmY6M7y.jpg

Final Results:

Both Sides had each other's objectives (A razor back was sitting on mine, Crusader Squad on his).

Both Sides had Warlord. (His Captain Killed my Chaplain but he only had 1 wound left. The Castellan then finished off the Captain in a awesome 2 round duel!)

Both Sides had Linebreaker.

Black Templars had First Blood, Giving me the WIN :biggrin.:

I really enjoyed the game and so did my opponent, there were many epic moments and dice rolls.

One thing I noticed is that I would do something based on it was a "Templar" thing to do, instead of if it was the best tactical decision. Just going full ZEAL and chopping people up and seeking out 1v1 duels seemed to just work. I think what it comes down to is that the Templars always had the momentum and that meant I was able to dictate the flow of the battle.

But now it back to the painting war! Couple of pictures below of both sides dead piles.

http://i.imgur.com/uSRtrAX.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/hTaIQc3.jpg
Edited by Mordian Glory

The crusade grows!

I managed to get a hold of a Land Raider Crusader by swapping the chaos half of the Dark Vengeance set!

http://i.imgur.com/CuThX51.jpg

Looking forward to painting this beast after painting up my crusader squads. I am currently working on finishing more neophytes (I love these guys, pistol and shiv!) 

Someone got a bit over excited with their hurricanes.

I thought it looked like a lot! I got it second hand so I wasn't sure not having built one myself. 

More Neophytes have been finished now. I actually prefer painting the neophytes more than the initiates, I think it is just the simplar models are less 'busy' when finished.   

http://i.imgur.com/fZRS5Sv.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/JyocxBx.jpg

Total finished models is 10 Neos and 4 Initiates

It has been almost a week since my last post. I have been busy painting away but I have not finished any more models. I have been learning the virtue of patience by batch painting many many black templar shoulder pads (my upgrade kit arrived).

The new additions to the army is a chaplain, converted from the Betrayal at Calth Box set and 15 more neophytes (rescued from ebay), 10 with bolt pistol and knife and 5 with shotgun. Not sure if I will use the shot gun models I am loving the whole choppy black tide feel I am going for with the army. Pics of my progress to follow!

Total models in the Army: 20 Initiates, 35 Neos, Chaplin, Land Raider Crusader

Total finished models: 10 Neos and 4 Initiates