Winged Hussar Primaris Project (3d model conversion)

I've taken a long break from doing actual physical hobby work with about a year's worth of pure house rules on my blog is testament to that.  While I'm not keen on the way the Primaris marines were introduced in the background, I rather do like the basic Intercessor figs themselves.  I've made numerous truescale attempts here in the past from deathwatch to space wolves to even primarchs  so it didn't come as a suprise to me that I liked the IMO better proportioned primaris models.  At first I thought of restarting my old Space Wolf truescale project with the new primaris models but there are folks that I've found that are doing that much better than I'd ever be able to (like this and this).  Additionally, I wanted to try something new as well which only cemented my decision.  Instead, I decided to revisit an idea that I ten years ago regarding making a custom chapter of Winged Hussar space marines.  Winged Hussars were a Renaissance era heavy cavalry unit for the Polish Lithuanian Commonwealth named after the prominent feathers attached to frames on their back.  They wore suits of plate armor and were equipped with lances and sabres.

800px-Polish_Hussar_half-armour_Winged_R

When I came up with the idea years ago, the only readily available bits in 28mm 40k scale were the Dark Angel Ravenwing bits which were too large for infantry figures (but were a good size for the 54mm Inquisitor Artemis figure that was also a brief resurrection of the idea for me a few years ago).   Since then, 3rd party bits makers like Maxmini and Puppetswar have produced compatible "wings" and other accessories (especially Puppetwar as they're based in Poland) but they were a bit too scifi for the asthetic I was going for.  Recently, I found some smaller scale historical kits from European manufactures that might fit better both asthetically and sizewise.  I picked up two of the sword wielding Primaris Lieutenants with the goal of making a Winged Hussar character.  Working from that basic figure, I swapped out the power sword for a custom built sabre made from a heat curved Grey Knight sword with an old chainsword pommel.  Additionally, I trimmed down a small tabard and added it to the figure.  Regarding the actual wings, the Zvezda kit that I got comes with two types, one straight and one curved.  I blu-tac test fitted both as picture below as I'm not sure which one I'll choose (although I'm leaning towards the straight variety).

891777_sm-Primaris%2C%20Winged%20Hussars891778_sm-Primaris%2C%20Winged%20Hussars

The plastic on the wings is definitely different that GW style polystyrene as it is glossy and more brittle and reminds me a bit more of the Robotech RPG Tactics plastic.  I'm test fitting some of the sprue bits with my Testors plastic glue to make sure them work.  Some other (expensive for one fig!) ideas I'm thinking about is getting some of the Puppetwars Hussar sabres and Cossack heads to give the model even more of a customized look.  

273-1031-thickbox.jpg

They do have hussar specific helmets but I'm not sure of the size and not frankly particular to their look either.  Thanks for reading and if anyone has any comments or advice then feel free to share. Edited by SITZKRIEG!

I think the wings fit the historical scheme perfectly.  If you stick with it, then the pieces will be easy to acquire for other models :tu:

Past that, I'm not much of a customizer so my mind's eye is not trained that way.  I hope that doesn't sound like a cop-out :ermm: The point is what you have above looks great to me :tu:

Thanks and it's not a cop out.  The customizations I'm currently considering are the head and weapon swaps to distinguish it further from a standard primaris.  One embellishment some historical winged hussars had was a big cat pelt (cheetah, leapard, etc) across the chest but I think I would save that for a potential captain.  I'm not a competent sculptor (gap filling and the occasional crevice wolf pelt connecting fur is about all I can do) so I'm limited compared with what I can do.

Apologies for the microupdate for a single fig but I received some feedback that the wings made the models look unbalanced (which was literally the case as I had to blutac a foot down because the model kept falling over in one of the pics above).  I tried cutting off the exhaust nozzles on an old space marine backpack and test fitting the wings directly to the side sandwiched between the pack and the nozzle but it frankly looked horrible and wasn't even worth going upstairs to get the camera.  I then though about revisiting the old idea that I came up with for my 54mm Artemis model of jamming it in between the pack and the torso. The curved wing had an odd number of wings in the kit I bought so I sacrificed the odd man out by clipping the bottom quarter of feathers and thinning out the frame they were attached to.  Since I only have the one piece that I was willing at the moment to carve up, I took two pics with the same wing in both positions and then digitally combined them in MSPaint (no Photoshop in this budget build!).  I definitely prefer this to the back mounting at least for the curved wings.

891995_sm-Primaris%2C%20Winged%20Hussar.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the positive feedback.  In the weeks since, I picked up the other more practical Primaris Lieutenant off of ebay and set about converting him as well in a similar fashion.  The wings plastic didn't respond at all to Testors plastic glue (don't have any of the stronger MEK glue that I've heard is more popular in Europe) so used superglue instead.  The taller, straighter wings fit better physically on the first lieutenant so I switched those to him.  

893997_sm-Primaris%2C%20Winged%20Hussars

893996_sm-Primaris%2C%20Winged%20Hussars

I'm wasn't particularly happy with the sabres so I ordered some charnabal sabres from the Forgeworld Mk IV power weapon set from a bits seller.  They're in the second row in the picture below.

99550101291_LegionMkIVPowerWeaponsSet_Co

It's hard to find actual full sized pictures of them in use unfortunately as it seems like every one of the images I found were on photobucket and subject to their recent 3rd party hosting terms of service change.  Here's a link to a thumbnail gallery though with the swords used on some HH Sons of Horus figs.

http://s49.photobucket.com/user/wowbocephus/library/Sons%20of%20Horus/Praetorians%20and%20Centurions?sort=3&page=1

I'm waiting obviously until I get them but I expect to change out my existing converted sabre on the original Lt and the bolt pistol on the new Lt to the forgeworld sabres.  That was always the plan for the second figure but in the time since my first post the codex came out and the primaris options for Lts are unfortunately and unexpectedly (at least for me) quite limited.  I may have to use them as normal Lts but in that case I'd have to add a boltrifle to the original fig.  I'm hoping that the shoulder slung rifle from the upcoming multipart plastic kit will do the job nicely for me but in the meantime I blutac'ed some temporary bits just to see overall how it would look.

893995_sm-Primaris%2C%20Winged%20Hussars

Initially I was worried that it might seem too crowded on that side but (at least with the smaller deathwatch bolter I tested) that doesn't seem IMO to be the case.  I initially planned for this to be a small modelling project but with the hopes that it would also at some point be a tiny ally force that I could play as well alongside another army.  With the breakup and limited customizability of the new primaris squads and models, I'm not sure what to do.  My initial idea of possibly running a command squad has now turned into an Lt, a champion, an ancient and then either two honor guard or company veterans depending on the loadout I choose which really messed up the idea of using the smaller detachment that I had planned on using from looking at various online reviews.

edit: from looking at the pics close up, I've definitely got some mold line removal to do that I missed initially!

Edited by SITZKRIEG!

The bits arrived from Europe alot quicker then I expected and I did my best impersonation of an Iron Hand apothecary tonight with some amputations.  I personally like the sharper, thinner look to the weapons as I think they look definitely less kitbashy and more like the sabres that inspired them.  I had to admit though that they are extremely thin resin pieces so both models should definitely be labeled as fragile/handle with care.  I already had to reglue last night a wing just holding a bit too tight while removing the previous mould lines.  

894477_sm-Primaris%2C%20Winged%20Hussars

I'm taking my time with this to not make any rash decisions in modeling (something that happened in my previous truescale attempt as I rapidly went from step to step in the same night) but I have to admit I'm still second guessing myself a bit.  I chose the curved wings for the more serious Lt because their shape was sturdier on that model and vice versa but I think I prefer the wings the other way around.  Also, I'm considering adding on a Rondel (or Besagew) to each axilla of the champion Lt (the other model won't accommodate them due to the shape).  I had to look up the name but they're the circular discs that protect the vulnerable armpit in plate armor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rondel_(armour)

894479_sm-Primaris%2C%20Winged%20Hussars

894478_sm-Primaris%2C%20Winged%20Hussars

Just like before, these are just quick mockups made from slicing off the tips of left over sprue pegs and not the final bits.

• 2 weeks later...

It took some time but I lucked out in that I got all the bits I needed to finish these two models and did some hobby work finally.   I was able to cut off the Blood Angel specific bits from the rondel shields and I think they fit sizewise well over the axillae.  Since this model will likely be a champion, I added on a relic bolter along with a 1mm craft jewelry chain as a shoulder strap.  I'm curious to know if anyone thinks the model looks a bit too busy with all that added on.  Finally, I did end up switching the wings on my two test models and definitely prefer this combo even if they're slightly less durable overall.  I primed the earlier model already and, at least on that model, my reglues don't look too bad after scraping off any residue nor does my gap filling attempt with the putty look too bad once painted over.  

897009_sm-Winged%20Hussars%20Primaris%20

897010_sm-Winged%20Hussar%20Primaris%20T

I've also been putting more thought into my custom chapter symbols and markings.  None of my three attempts to get in contact with Plastic Soldier Company resulting in any response so using the Armoured Hussar logo is out for me as I don't know the appropriate size/measurements.  Using the polish eagle is both a bit on the nose IMO as well as would clash a bit with the aquilla as well but I may use it occasionally as a squad or campaign marking instead but definitely not on every model.  Another option I came up with would be to adapt the ravenwing icon into looking like a winged saber.  This option would be relatively free (I have a decent amount of decals from 2nd ed and up) and easy to accomplish as additional benefits on top of also being thematic.

897013_mb-Primaris%2C%20Winged%20Hussar.

Next up I'll finally be painting the first model as well as test fitting parts to my two lance armed honor guard models.

Hopefully the first test paint job won't turn anyone off.  I've historically been a competent tabletop quality painter and don't have the skill nor the patience to learn the advanced techniques necessary to get to that next tier.  In any case, here is the first test model painted up (but not based):

898033_sm-Primaris%2C%20Winged%20Hussar.

I ended up going with the polish eagle on the tabard as it didn't look like it clashed too much with the aquilla in the end.  Additionally, I felt the model needed a bit of white in the center as well.  I used decal solvent on most of the decals to mixed results.  It worked well enough along with two relief cuts on the shoulder pads although the ravenwing icon kinked a bit on one side (of course facing the front of the model... and I didn't notice it until I was changing the sword on the decal to a sabre!).  The solvent practically disolved the first eagle I put on the tabard literally in front of my eyes to a splotchy dull off white so I had to rinse that one off in pieces; I suppose FOW decals aren't compatible with testors decal solvent although GW ones are.  The air force symbol wouldn't fit properly on the knee cap and was too small to put relief cuts into so I put it diagonally as a diamond instead of the historical square.  

I don't expect to change the overall scheme much on the second model although I think I will change the order of painting operations significantly the second time around.  Washing and highlighting the base armor was a PITA after the rest of the models was done so I think I'll do all the steps involved in the silver/chainmail armor itself (base coat, lighter top coat, two washes, cleanup and occasional edge highlighting) before I touch the rest of the parts/colors.  Decalwise, I might switch to the slightly larger sized ravenwing decal for the chapter symbol as there is alot of blank red space on that side as well. 

Keeping in mind my slightly better than tabletop quality skill level, I'd love to hear other possible tips that I could use.

Edited by SITZKRIEG!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks!  I took some time off of my already slow hobby pace due to a decidedly old man style back injury and then a vacation but I should be back to painting the second model this week.  As for the rules, to be honest I'm not sure.   The White Scars would fit the lance cavalary rules but not the rest of the backstory theme; additionally, I'd find it a bit odd to model quasi space-Polish knights as Mongols given that the real Polish Knights helped stop multiple Mongolian invasions of Europe in the Middle Ages.  :)  Other options would be the Dark Angels (I've using their icon and their knightly theme would fit) as well as the Black Templars (historical hussars used the same knightly cross the 40k BT use).  In the end, I'm not sure.   I'm not trying to cheese out the force but rather trying to make sure my tiny ally force (5 models planned so far) plays like a small movie marine addition to my other imperial armies rather than a big force themselves. 

This small starting project of 5 models so far planned is.  My (in the old 3rd-7th edition points scale) 10,000pts of painted marines in another scheme are their own different custom chapter.  I just wanted to add a small force of primaris to my collection with some variety in the paint scheme.

• 2 months later...

It's been a while since I made any progress on this small project for some reasons under my control while others were not.  Regardless, I decided to try and finish my second model (along with a final Tau suit) before the end of the year.  I decided as mentioned above to try and lighten up the overall look of the model.  I decided to change the aquilla on the chest to white to better mesh with the wings (as well as to not overload the center torso with gold due to the gold armpit shields).  I also skipped my middle step of a darker metallic on top of the primer by just using the brighter corresponding metallic instead for both base coats and post wash highlights (so silver instead of chainmail and gold instead of brass).

918472_sm-Primaris%2C%20Winged%20Hussars

918471_sm-Primaris%2C%20Winged%20Hussars

The second pic shows the differences between black primer/chainmail, black primer/chainmail base coat/silver highlights, and black primer/silver base coat and highlights (from R to L).  While I like the lighter overall tone (not exactly shown well in flash photography with my camera), I'm not sure about the change of the chest aquilla to white from brass/gold.  It does form a nice connecting line from the wings to the chest to the knee but I liked the look of the previous gold aquilla on the armor and how it related back to the sample Hussar armor I posted in the OP for this thread.  I also didn't notice until after uploading flash photography that the blue wash on my powersword somehow rubbed off at the base.  Let me know if anyone else has any preferences in that regard or other thoughts.

output_ZTFRH7.gif

Edited by SITZKRIEG!

• 2 weeks later...

I went back and forth trying to run ideas past folks about how to improve the model specifically with regards to the aquilla.  I vacillated back and forth between keeping the white one on this model or switching back to the gold/brass version but that latter option would necessitate some other change to not overload the torso with gold.  I made some digital swaps to better illustrate the options both to myself as well as others.

919355-Winged%20Hussar%20aquilla%20color

John Prins at dakka suggested that I changed the gorget to red and brighten/vary up the wings a bit among other things and I decided on just that after testing it out virtually.  I tried to bright up and differentiate the white a bit as it looked dull after the appropriately named dull coat varnish as well as changed the gorget to red. 

919802_sm-Primaris%2C%20Winged%20Hussar.

Over the past week, I've also slowly been working on converting my first power lance armed honor guard.  These guys should be a midway point between the standard marines and the more ornate officers.  I wanted to keep the tabard for officers (and somehow incorporate a leopard print sash for a future captain) but veterans will still get a single wing on their back.  I'm still mulling over the paint job for these as well regarding the aquilla.  I'll definitely add the red gorget though to chapter standard paint scheme especially as they'll be missing the red previously on the tabard.  I'm not happy with my multiple cut/pin/glue/gap fill job on the Grey Knight power lance when incorporating the pennant but it's hard to tell how it'll look prior to the primer.  I basically had to mangle the power lance to get the pennant as well as have it on the left hand.  It's a converted two handed spear where I got rid of the second hand (filling the gap) as well as had to cut and reposition the blade's edge at a different angle as well as extend the gap to fit the pennant.

edit: I have primed the honor guard and it doesn't look too bad on the staff after some filing down prior to priming. After seeing the pennant, I'm debating though whether to continue with that model immediately or do a second pose of the same lieutenant I just finished but with a different loadout. I really like the model (it's probably my favorite 40k sculpt since the release of the 3rd edition Space Hulk board game in 2008ish) and I'm curious how a jet pack and lance with pennant variant would look. I have both regular jet packs, original Rogue Trader ones, and a Sanguinary Guard pack to choose from. I wasn't entirely confident how my conversion would go so I actually got two of my favorite pose just in case.

Edited by SITZKRIEG!

I worked on correcting the ugly gap filling job on the Honor Guard Lancer this weekend along with assembling another primaris Lieutenant model (this time with a jump pack).  For the former, I just corrected/filled down the flag wrap around that I did when connecting the pennant to the spear.  The latter was a bit more work.  With my previous just finished Lt from the same pose, I was worried about how the whole thing would come together when assembling my first two models and didn't want to overdo the Hussar theme.  When it turned out well thanks to help here, I was a bit emboldened to try again and go full hussar this time.  I decided to try and incoporate armor details that I skipped the first time around like the pennant on a spear (instead of the sabre), the crest on the top of the helmet, and the leopard skin pelt.  

920147_sm-Primaris%2C%20Winged%20Hussar.

The pennant went easily enough with some test fitting as I was using the much less troublesome right arm spear this time around.  I temporarily entertained the idea of wrapping the flag around the spear but my troubles with the other model dissuaded me from doing so.  For the crest, I tested the method out first on my remaining Ancient head and I think it worked out well in the end.  The leopard skin was definitely the biggest issue this time around.  While the glue was drying (and redrying as I changed course mid assembly and had to reglue several things), I decided to try out a homemade painted pelt out of a tiny bit of fabric.  I'm not sure of the results though and would definitely like some advice about whether adding the fabric to the model would constitute "too much" crap and whether the plastic paw bit I glued on is enough to convey that aspect of the model.

920148_sm-Primaris%2C%20Winged%20Hussar.

I decided to go with a Sanguinary Guard style Mk IV jump pack as it allowed me to attach the wings much better than a traditional modern jump pack would.  I realize the typical go to choice for the model should theoretically be on a bike as it's supposed to be heavy cavalry but I didn't actually have a bike handy and, more importantly, I wanted to keep the rest of the model primaris style intact and wouldn't have been able to do so with cutting the legs off to fit onto a bike.

Just a minor update with an animated gif and group shots of the primed/painted models. I tweaked the new captain model of the Lt character by adding a second skin under the other armpit shield as that side was looking a bit bare along with a few other minor things (like repositioning the model on the base for better balance). I'm hoping to use this model in both poses as my RPG character if I ever restart 40k roleplaying. Next step should be painting!

920410_sm-Primaris%2C%20Winged%20Hussar.

920409_sm-Primaris%2C%20Winged%20Hussar.

ec0cd23641012278d4b9ce7af61e5623_1478.gi

I agree that it's not an optimal pose for showing that. I actually considered leaning him forward and mounting him on a flight peg but when I posed the model it looked even more off. I figure even jump infantry have to firmly plant their feet to aim a shot. He's already changed a bit since that pic yet again so I might try something like you suggest. I just can't sculpt worth a damn to reposition his knees/legs. Edited by SITZKRIEG!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks. I keep trying to figure out a way to make the gold aquilla work but always come back to the white. It's been incredibly slow progress on my end since the last update (too cold to paint in an unheated basement!) but I've made a few small tweaks. I didn't like the dual fur strips on the jump pack model(especially on the right side) so took off the one and replaced it with a bolter with chain strap to fill the space as it looked empty without it. I liked how the space wolf fur strip/claw coming down from the armpit guard looks on one side so added it to my earlier model as well in addition to the helmet crest. Both are traditional Hussar embellishments and I was hesitant to crank up the hussarness to 11 originally. I'll try to post a pic of the (admittedly minor) updates later which also hopefully will motivate me to get started on the jump lieutenant again.

http://moment-decydujacy.pl/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/MWP022011-9750.jpg

Edited by SITZKRIEG!