Winged Hussar Primaris Project (3d model conversion)

Thanks.  I was going for a more feral look than the standard patrician head of the Ultramarine base model.  At first I considered using a space wolf head but I thought it might be too evocative of that legion/chapter combined with the fur.  I'm trying to go for a mix of the traditional regal knight marine ala Black Templars mixed in with touches of White Scar and Space Wolf without going too far in any one direction.

Beautiful work. Will you paint the hide at his belt the gray of a wolf, the gold of a lion, or the gold and mottled black of a leopard?

Thanks!  I tried a few variations up to and including actual cloth but I ultimately decided on a the yellowish base with mottled black dots similar to a leopard as it was closer to the historical version I was emulating.  This is an example of the scheme that I decided on with previous models.

LTpaintcomp.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've completely finished my first Winged Hussar Primaris marine! I've been working on various marines over the past year as part of that extended project but I never decided on a basing scheme so they were never technically 100% finished on their naked black bases. The Lieutenant Amulius model comes with a texted base as part of the model so I couldn't procrastinate my way past this model like I did with the others.

AmuliusFinalAnim.gif

I tried to consciously do a better job with this model as I don't currently have plans to make any further Winged Hussars at the moment since I'm running short of bits as well as sculpts that inspire me (although I reserve the right to add more in the future!). I was frankly embarrased at some of my efforts in the past year (especially the faces) so I tried to better catch mistakes before it was too late. I'll expand on that in the next post over on my blog next week (link below in my sig) as I don't want to add a mini rant on aging in the hobby with this post. With this model, I took close up pictures after my initial painting and first wash steps to improve on tiny spill over painting mistakes. Just looking at the animated gif above, I missed a few of them (one that I can correct at least on the backpack) but I think the model shows some moderate improvement compared with my previous efforts. Here are the full static views spoilered below if for some reason someone wants to zoom in further (just click on the images to get to the interactive gallery).

1013650_sm-Amulius%2C%20Lieutenant%2C%20

1013651_sm-Amulius%2C%20Lieutenant%2C%20

1013652_sm-Amulius%2C%20Lieutenant%2C%20

1013653_sm-Amulius%2C%20Lieutenant%2C%20

There are things that looking at the images after the fact could have been improved upon though. I'm not entirely happy with the Polish eagle decal placement on the leg but it was a last minute and fiddly change as it initially was placed on the knee instead. Unfortunately due to the curvature, I couldn't get it to sit right even with a strategic cut and some decal softener so had to remove (and ruin) that decal with a second one placed below. It looks like it rode up a bit (or perhaps I just didn't see the placement correctly with my vision... more on that in my next blog post) higher than I would have liked but whats done is done. There are a few other paint missteps that are visible zoomed in (one or two of which I can correct but not all) as well. As always, feel free to comment/criticize below.

Edited by SITZKRIEG!

I'll spare everyone here my whiney rant about aging in the hobby (click my blog link in the sig if you want to read that) but I got a lot of (negative) feedback elsewhere specifically about the googley eyes on the model so decided to try and touch it up a bit as well as addressing a few other issues that I noticed with my new granny magnifying glasses and improved lighting in the painting area. I redid the decal on the shin as it had ridden up a bit surprisingly after drying and touched up a few other spots that I wasn't happy with. Looking at the pic, I swear that the dark recess wash goes all the way around the shoulder pad in person but I'll have to double check (and correct that if need be) when I get home tonight. In between the animated gifs making fun of it, I did get some genuinely good advice on how to improve the eyes on the next model and I hope to do better with the upcoming Sister of Battle model recently previewed by GW.

1013899_sm-Primaris%2C%20Winged%20Hussar

Edited by SITZKRIEG!

I noticed your comment about the eyes in Post Your Primaris Marines and wished to give my two cents.

I didn't see 'googley eyes' when I saw it in the thread. Yes, looking at the bigger image here, I start noticing the flaws: the tip of the right pupil is pointed in contrast with the perfectly round one of the left eye, which itself has some very tiny specks of grey/black in the white above the pupil. But as I said, that's not noticeable on a slightly smaller picture.

I believe I know why it may look 'off' to others, though. Going from the smaller picture again, the gashes above his left eye mean he has no eyebrow hair, which might throw off some people, especially that it seems to lack the slight shading that makes the right eye look like it has eyelashes.

As it is, the eyes are not absolutely one-hundred-percent super special perfect, but they're still pretty damn good from where I'm standing.

Thanks. I do understand how they look and agree but I was just surprised at the vehemence of the response to it online to something that isn't visible at all at arms length. It was especially odd given how crappy my previous attempts at eyes were (a flesh wash in the recesses and a dot from a ball point pen) both in terms of effect and effort. I guess the whites there just draw too much attention to the area. I've since tried minimizing the whites with an additional wash but it's a minimum change so haven't posted an updated pic though.

• 8 months later...

It's been a while since I worked on my custom chapter but I've been experimenting with 3d modelling. I'm not a 3d modeller so I'm basically limited to resizing/reshaping various existing 3d models into something that I like similar to how I've been converting marines from my bits box as opposed to sculpting details myself. I practiced first with both samurai and Ultramarine 3d models (link here) but I've finally gotten around to creating my Winged Hussar variant using the same pose inspired by the Amulius model.

1049668-3d%2C%20Lieutenant%2C%20Primaris

I made a custom shouder pad using the hussar symbol of the Polish 1st Armoured Division that served with the British in World War 2 (link here) as well as a Polish eagle converted into a double headed 40k style Imperial Aquila. Hopefully that along with the actual wings on the back and a suitably slavic moustache will give the model enough visual flare on the tabletop. If you're interested in downloading the model for free and printing it out yourself, feel free to check it on thingiverse here:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4224010

Edited by SITZKRIEG!

Thanks! I hope that I've carried on enough of the hussar theme from the physical conversions I did previously over to the digital realm. I've tweaked some of the proportions since the initial preview pic like making the sword more sturdy for printing survivability as well as other minor tweaks (less barrel chested, bigger head) when I put the 3d model side by side with a comparison 32mm fig. I plan on printing the first one out at a smaller than primaris 40k scale since I hope to use it as an RPG fig on a 25mm base. The primaris 32/40mm bases are too large to fit on 1 inch grid playmats.

1049731-3d%20print%20scale%20test.png

Edited by SITZKRIEG!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Thanks and I appreciate it. I only wish that GW shared the sentiment as they took down my Hussar a week after I uploaded it (but left literally thousands of other 3d models inspired by 40k including the parts that I used to make the hussar). :sad.: