Sternguard

Ok, Ultramarines. Now that our CTs are a known quantity (even if our relics and stratagems are not) I wanted to come down and ask my brothers: On a scale of one to Michael Jackson, just how bad are sternguard?

It is blatantly obvious that their days of drop in, erase a unit, and hope to survive to be a continuing threat are gone. It also seems their days as a codex compliant staple are gone as well. But does this mean they've gone completely out to pasture? They're still veterans. The special issue ammunition is now mostly rolled up into their gun. And now our chapter tactics will help them hold the line and keep shooting somewhat better than before.

I'm still not convinced they're good. In fact I think they're very bad. But I did a bits inventory today and I am going to kitbash a unit of sternguard/Tyrannic War veterans in a very sexy amd unique Ultramarine fashion. But since my projects are multiplying far faster then they are being completed, I don't want to prioritize a snipe hunt over a more important table ready project. I'm very curious to hear what you all think.

I intend on trying a massed Combi-Plasma squad with a pod and a Termie Captain.

Pod drops in, Captain teleports in within bubble range. Against hordes, I can fire both profiles; against tough targets, just fire the Supercharged shots. Captain can provide a bit of counter-assault if I want it.

Seems good to me, at least on paper.