++Fate of Konor - Week 6: Death of a World++

While I was sceptical about the FoK campaign when I first read about it - you know things like "only a marketing stunt" or "outcome already decided anyway" - by now I am actually really excited about it. With 8th edition doing a lot of things right in my opinion, and now a narrative campaign suitable for all factions, my hobby spirits returned.

I have multiple GW stores nearby, as well as a couple of hobby stores participating in the campaign as well - the luxury of living in a capital city. Most likely I will focus on one specific store, even though depending on results I might throw some "reenforcements" to other locations as well. There are two armies I will focus on, one being my Orks, the other being Death Guard. Both will fight against the Imperium of course.

Since I am not that much of a gamer, I plan to participate mostly via painting. If things go as planned I should have my Death Guard (from DI) painted by the time their codex hits. For the Orks the plan is to have a Battallion detachment painted by the end of the campaign. Even if I fail to achieve these goals, something will get painted, which would be a success already.

For week 1 - meaing the rest of it - I will work on an Ork Painboy, as well as a squad of Plague Marines. I am a bit unsure about it, but I guess those Plague Marines can count as coming from a "Start Collecting" box (i.e. the theme of week 1), since otherwise Death Guard would have almost no legal way of contributing. Just to be sure, a Helbrute will be painted too.

After that? Next weeks theme is "Elites", and while I only have the Noxious Blightbringer in that category for Death Guard, Orks have a lot of choice. Instead of scoring for Chaos, I might instead focus on denying the Imperium their points.

Everybody: have fun with this, and do not take it overly serious. It is a chance to theme your games, and gives you some goals for your hobby. If you can ruin the odd planet here and there, that is just an added bonus.

Edited by Darnok

Everybody: have fun with this, and do not take it overly serious. It is a chance to theme your games, and gives you some goals for your hobby. If you can ruin the odd planet here and there, that is just an added bonus.

For me, this is what important.  As said I'm using Fate of Konor to help further add narrative for my Iron Warriors & more so after taken part in the Warhammer World campaign weekend back in March. 

Also yes, Elites for next week.  I've got a unit of Thousand Son's I'm currently painting.

Well yes that's what I'm doing as well. But for me that's just a downgrade of what it could've been if done properly so it still has a sour aftertaste.

This might be the first campaign where it feels like Chaos actually has a fighting chance to win! I'm proud to say that my local Warhammer store is completely under Chaos control and I'll continue fighting to keep it that way. >: )

At the moment, Saviour's Landing is 33% controlled by Chaos. Hopefully we'll be able to push it to at least 50% until week 1 ends.

This might be the first campaign where it feels like Chaos actually has a fighting chance to win! I'm proud to say that my local Warhammer store is completely under Chaos control and I'll continue fighting to keep it that way. >: )

We are getting destroyed though. Less than 40% of the planet is under Chaos control, and we have only 3 days left. I told you this campaign would be rigged in the loyalist's favor, GW would never have them lose anything agan after the mass trantrum that followed EoT.

So finally got to play my first games of 8th this past week and I've learned a lot and found I still hold a lot of bad habits from the last edition. Both games were against a sister/ig army. The Saint is ridiculous combined with the faith points system they have and the guy wasn't even running her two body guards. For 8 points you get 16 points worth of model for the game. For the most part he used 3 regular 5 model sister squads, a dominion squad, immolator, two thudd guns, death riders of krieg horse unit and some baslisks at the end.

For the first game I wanted to be fluffy and at 50 points I ran a warpsmith, two helbrutes (mixed to give them a balance) with two 5 man termy squads each with a reaper. My thought behind it was that this was an assault, the forlorn hope and what better way of doing it than running some helbrutes and a warpsmith leading them while some termies drop in for the hammer? Yeah didn't go as planned at all. If the mission had allowed for deep strike on turn 1 I could have really put some hurt down but with only 3 models on the start of his turn that he could shoot at it wasn't pretty. Even with the termies dropping in the next turn (thankfully got both of them in), it really didn't matter at that point.

Second game I changed it up and we played at about 75 points.

Abadon, a 5 man zerk units, 2 - 5 man chump marines with plasma gun, havoks, mauler, and defiler. The thrice cursed saint of whoredom got the 6 he needed to steal first turn from me and that really showed. I was all set up for a first turn get in your face tactic to minimize his shooting and such but it just didn't pan out. Abby was pretty good, specially with his abilities that he gave to those around him but that Saint was just mopping up everything. She did go down in the second turn to the warmaster but at the third she was back again and kill Abby. We called it at that point.

So lessons learned and hopefully with the new dex on the horizon I will make a more fluffy list for IW. Overall though I had more fun playing in the absolute slaughterfest that is 8th now than I ever did in the previous 3 editions.

Two losses on the weekend with my Death Guard, but two victories for Chaos!

Game 1 was against Necrons using the Invasion mission. I took huge casualties early on but ended up killing everything except his vehicles. My Plaguecaster suffered Perils in the last turn killing himself - Anrakyr the Traveller and my Bloat Drone. MVP was definitely the drone, wiping out the Warriors and doing a lot of shoot-and-run. It was INCREDIBLY durable and put out a decent amount of damage. I don't think I'll use it to assault things unless it's just to tie stuff up though, it's attacks are spectacularly underwhelming. Speaking of underwhelming, the Lord of Contagion did next to nothing. I got frustrated at whiffing rolls vs a Tomb Stalker so wiped out a unit of Scarabs with him instead. I can see why people just take Typhus. I will say this though, he is VERY durable.

Game 2 was against Astra Militarum. This was doomed to be a loss from the beginning. His list had 40 conscripts and associated commissar and commander, 4 wyverns, 4 Scion command squads and a few other bits and bobs. Poxwalkers got nuked by stormshard mortars, but held out a lot longer than I expected. Poor deployment on my part saw the Plaguecaster take wounds early, but a good bunch of rolls saw him survive with a few wounds until late game. Plaguewind ANNIHILATED the conscripts, taking close to 30 off in 2 turns of casting. Combined with the Drone and bolters from the Plague Marines the conscripts did very next to nothing. The Fallen got in a shootout with some Scions in a large ruined building and won, turning their plasma guns to plink wounds off a Wyvern. Lord of Contagion wailed on a Wyvern, dropping it to 2 wounds before promptly cutting a Master of Ordinance in half. Then I basically got wiped out. When the dust settled I had my Plague Marine champion, 4 Fallen and the guy with the bell. He still had 4 Wyverns and 3 units of scions. We called it there. That particular AM player had signed up on the side of Chaos to even the local imbalance, so it was a win for us anyway even though it was a terrible, terrible failure for me.

Two losses on the weekend with my Death Guard, but two victories for Chaos!

Game 1 was against Necrons using the Invasion mission. I took huge casualties early on but ended up killing everything except his vehicles. My Plaguecaster suffered Perils in the last turn killing himself - Anrakyr the Traveller and my Bloat Drone. MVP was definitely the drone, wiping out the Warriors and doing a lot of shoot-and-run. It was INCREDIBLY durable and put out a decent amount of damage. I don't think I'll use it to assault things unless it's just to tie stuff up though, it's attacks are spectacularly underwhelming. Speaking of underwhelming, the Lord of Contagion did next to nothing. I got frustrated at whiffing rolls vs a Tomb Stalker so wiped out a unit of Scarabs with him instead. I can see why people just take Typhus. I will say this though, he is VERY durable.

Game 2 was against Astra Militarum. This was doomed to be a loss from the beginning. His list had 40 conscripts and associated commissar and commander, 4 wyverns, 4 Scion command squads and a few other bits and bobs. Poxwalkers got nuked by stormshard mortars, but held out a lot longer than I expected. Poor deployment on my part saw the Plaguecaster take wounds early, but a good bunch of rolls saw him survive with a few wounds until late game. Plaguewind ANNIHILATED the conscripts, taking close to 30 off in 2 turns of casting. Combined with the Drone and bolters from the Plague Marines the conscripts did very next to nothing. The Fallen got in a shootout with some Scions in a large ruined building and won, turning their plasma guns to plink wounds off a Wyvern. Lord of Contagion wailed on a Wyvern, dropping it to 2 wounds before promptly cutting a Master of Ordinance in half. Then I basically got wiped out. When the dust settled I had my Plague Marine champion, 4 Fallen and the guy with the bell. He still had 4 Wyverns and 3 units of scions. We called it there. That particular AM player had signed up on the side of Chaos to even the local imbalance, so it was a win for us anyway even though it was a terrible, terrible failure for me.

Huh. So Chaos can fight Chaos, eh? Pretty cool. Didn't realize it worked that way.

Sorry about the slaughter, though. AM is nasty.

Edited by Azekai

I know the AM player very well. He's a friend of mine and we used to go to a lot of tourneys together. He was going to face off against other Imperial players who tend to have harder lists but turned up late. By the time I finished my game vs the Necrons it was just me and him so we decided to roll some dice despite it being a pretty 1-sided affair. Every game counts and we're both new to 8th so the practice was good.

So, I played my first game for Fate of Konor today (using the week's special mission) against a mixed Adeptus Mechanicus and Imperial Guard force. It was a very close game but I sadly lost by one victory point. That being said, it was a good learning experience and I liked the list that I took well enough that I'd use it again. At any rate, a few lessons I picked up today -

First of all, I'm going to have to try fielding Chaos Terminators more often, because the guy I was playing against had two or three units of Ogryns with the shields, and between 2+ saves and multiple wounds it was almost impossible to put down the Ogryns without weapons that both had a high AP value and also did D3 or D6 damage. The Ogryns didn't really do any significant amount of damage to my units since most of their attacks bounced off of 3+ armour saves, but they sure held up my forces for a long time. It seems as though Chaos Terminators have the advantage here, with similar durability but more offensive potential between combi-weapons/heavy weapons and power weapons.

Secondly, wow...Hellforged Contemptors absolutely do work in close combat. They're hitting on 2's, wounding most things on 2's and then doing a flat 3 damage per unsaved wound. 2 Contemptors tore through a unit of the shield Ogryns in a single turn. Afterwards one was mowed down by all of my opponent's shooting on the left side of the board, but the other proceeded to annihilate 2 Kastelan robots armed with power fists, then a unit of three Kataphrons and when we called the game that Contemptor was in the process of mulching a unit of Electro-priests (the melee variant no less). Between the invulnerable saves from Hellfire Reactor and regaining wounds off of Machina Malefica they're a lot more durable than you'd expect too. Hellflamers are also totally money, essentially they're flat better than a heavy flamer for the same price.

Thirdly, Chaos Bikers are absolutely worth their weight in gold. A Chaos Lord on a bike and a retinue of Chaos Bikers with two plasmas puts out a lot of dakka and if you arm the unit with chainswords they're also passable in melee. You can also use their speed to scoot behind line of sight blocking terrain so your opponent isn't able to bring his heavy weapons to bear against them. :wink:

Anyway, props to my opponent on the win. He was a chill dude and I hope we get to have a rematch. :tongue.:

Edited by ChaosReigns

One question though: why is there no action at all in the dedicated FoK subforum?

Well...I for one didn't even know such a subforum exists. :D

Went to The Battle For Astar Minor doubles event at Warhammer World on Saturday, we were told the result of the event would be significant in the Fate of Konor campaign. I was planning to do some kind of battle reports for the three games I played, but due t the fast pace I didn't get that many pictures and So much happened I don't think I can remember all the details, so I'll do a little write up here.

I played Alpha Legion, my partner, Jim, was using Iron Warriors. We both decided dreadnoughts are good and fun in this edition, so we took two Vanguard detachments consisting of a Prince, 3 dreads and a chaos marine squad. Our team name was 'In my day they were called Dreadnoughts'.

IMG_1580.jpg

Up to this point, Jim had only played 1 game of 8th, while I'd played about 10, so still learning for both of us really. In our first game we went up against Imperial Fists and Salamanders, rocking 3 terminator squads, 3 devastator squads (one only had boltguns), Lysander, a Librarian and a 2 man veteran squad.

This was a great back and forth game with some memorable moments. They dropped assault Terminators and librarian in front of my dreads turn one but missed out by an inch. We countered with massed firepower and charges. The Librarian got away with one wound, but was killed by an Exploding dreadnought. The Iron Warrior's Prince appropriately killed Lysander, before eventually succumbing to the bolters. We caught them off guard with a Warptimed dread into a devastator squad, which really turned the battle from us on the defence to giving them something they had to deal with. In the end we wiped them out, but only two dreads were left standing.

IMG_1582.jpg

IMG_1586.jpg

After the first round of games both sides were neck and neck in results. In the second game we played a makeshift team of Black Templars and Death Guard (double traitors!). They had 2 bloat drones, 2 plague squads, lord of contagion, a mix of tactical marines and primaris guys, captain, emperor's champion and the interceptor flyer.

Another good game with some really silly luck. They had appalling rolls early on, which enables us to take first blood and gut a tactical squad down to the missile launcher. However that one heroic marine refused to die until we finally had to send a daemon prince after him. The Princes killed a warlord each, while our dreads marched up the board. Eventually the Iron Warrior prince fell to plague marines, but in the last turn my dread and prince reached the last squad on an objective at the far end of the board and wiped them out.

IMG_1590.jpg

IMG_1593.jpg

IMG_1603.jpg

After this round, it was yet again tied up, both sides with the same number of wins. In our final battle we faced Crimson Fists and Space Sharks (I think - they were using Raven Guard chapter tactics) with scouts, sternguard, stormtalon, various primaris guys and a deredeo.

This was our toughest game, but another fun one. The Mission was the Relic so we had to go into their gun line, especially since they had Scouts deploy on the objective. Reivers, Librarian and Helblasters deployed via command points/special rules in our back, putting pressure on early. A failed charge from the Reivers meant the librarian ended up closest model on our turn, so the las/missile dread shot him in the face. We advanced and killed the scouts, but the rest of their forces were steadily working their way through our dreads. The Iron Warriors prince Warptimed himself up to the backfield Deredeo and tried to assassinate it, but it was too tough. He got bogged down with Crimson fist characters, who he murdered but eventually fell to overwatch from the Deredeo trying to charge it a second time.

At the end of the game I had my prince on the relic, our last surviving model. He survived an entire turn of shooting from the Deredeo (I got 3 5+ invulnerables against the plasma guns) but with one wound left he was taken out by a charging stern guard sergeant with a fist.

IMG_1607.jpg

IMG_1609.jpg

IMG_1613.jpg

After this game, it was revealed than the Imperium had snuck in with more victories in the final round to win overall. Boo! But I had a great time. I think the new edition really works well with doubles games, being fast paced with lots of tactical decisions to argue over. I think Jim is now very much sold in this edition, and we both have respect for Princes and Dreads.

Redtoof - Look like a great day, Warhammer World event are always great & in my view how the hobby should be done.  Also great to see some new terrain.  The Templar army look like Max who collecting them from the Tale of Warlords in the White Dwarf that the moment, it just the way the Missile Launcher & shoulder pads are looking.

Also good to see the classic metal Chaos Dreadnought there.

I'm aim get a unit of Thousand Son's painted for week two, as my Elite chose.  Try get the base built in a few hours.

[...]

After this game, it was revealed than the Imperium had snuck in with more victories in the final round to win overall. Boo! But I had a great time. I think the new edition really works well with doubles games, being fast paced with lots of tactical decisions to argue over. I think Jim is now very much sold in this edition, and we both have respect for Princes and Dreads.

Victory in the last minute? How very heroic. :censored:

Well, Chaos has to do better next time. We can not let the Imperial scumbags get away again...

Edited by Darnok

[...]

Victory in the last minute? How very heroic. :cuss

Well, Chaos has to do better next time. We can not let the IMperial scumbacks get away again...

Ha. I checked on the website, it looks like Chaos is currently in control at the HQ, they must have pulled it back on Sunday. (There was a singles event then)

My warband made planetfall on Saturday and immediately proceeded towards their objective- a soylens veridiens plant situated within the Quintus Gate. Seizure of this facility would dramatically reduce the enemy's ability to feed their forces in the immediate area, and at the very least force them to shunt supplies in from other sectors to make up for the loss.

Having received prior warning of our impending assault, the Departmento Munitorum had dispatched a cadre of commissars and a detachment of Stormtroopers to forcibly conscript the plant's workforce into the Imperial Guard. By the time the World Eaters of the Crimson Ludus stepped off from the assembly area, nearly 200 mortal slaves of the False Emperor, backed by heavy armor and air cover, had taken up defensive positions overlooking the plant.

gallery_86850_13358_133192.jpg

We advanced in 3 armored columns, with the mighty Hellforged Spartan assault tank "Maw Infernal" moving up the center with the bulk of the assault force (Squads Castus and Oenamaus, along with Bloodpriest Ultor (Dark Apostle) and Kh

My opponent and I agreed (halfway through the game) that this game was waaaaaaaaay easier for the Imperium. It's much easier to make sure you kill over half your enemy's army than keep half of it alive and keep it in 3/4 of the battlefield. 

Some photos from my 8-7 loss! I almost tabled my opponent, which was my only hope after 7 of my units were dead. In the end, there was a single Sicarian alive and Cypher scored two hits... Needing a 2+ to wound, he rolled snake eyes. 

DGFDMJhXgAAihfD.jpgDGFDOobXgAAl-Zo.jpgDGFDRKGXgAEsKIs.jpgDGFDT00WAAERxOI.jpg

So lost all my games on Saturday (one was against chaos so at least chaos did get a win from me!) Now I'm painting up my Hellbrute to see if adding that will help me at all. My list currently just doesn't do enough damage really. Also genestealer moving twice and charging and eating everything turn 1 is never fun....

Gorgeous pictures, Chaz!

So lost all my games on Saturday (one was against chaos so at least chaos did get a win from me!) Now I'm painting up my Hellbrute to see if adding that will help me at all. My list currently just doesn't do enough damage really. Also genestealer moving twice and charging and eating everything turn 1 is never fun....

Maybe add a defensive line of cultists or poxwalkers to absorb surprise assaults? What does your list normally look like? Genestealers do hurt, best to force them to attack things you don't care about much.

That's why screening units are a must have in 8th. Allows you to have at least one turn of shooting and getting the charge yourself. ;)

I had 2 units of 20 Poxwalkers, 7 Plague Marines with 2 plasma+ champ with fist/plasma, bloat drone, typhus, blightbringer and Plaguecaster. I'm still getting used to how slow this army is so at some point I'm going to have to add a rhino for the plagues. I'm also thinking of changing the Plaguecaster to a sorceror since I have the spare power (it's 10 a week and I'm only adding 8 with my Hellbrute) that would give me warptime so I can also help to move things into combat like the Hellbrute (I'm going to try it fist+scourge and lascannon+scourge) or even typhus who is great when he eventually waddles into charge range.