Codex wishes

Atrus

Maybe give the Celestines ....

Praesidii Protectiva.

Google has failed my on this one.

The Praesidium Protectiva is basically the Sisters' storm shield. We had them in 2E (where they only worked in cc but deflected hits back on 6s) and 3E (where they were identical to storm shileds) then lost them.

Edited by Servant of Dante

Ah, thank you. In the name of simplicity I'd go with storm shield just to keep everyone on the same page. They wouldn't be terminators but at least there would be more distinction between the base troops and the veteran troops than there usually is.

Sisters of Battle should not have a flyer. That is the purview of the Imperial Navy. If they must have air support, it should come from the Navy and not some bizzare kind of internal air force. No and no again. It's bad enough that the Space Marines get their own fighters other than the Thunderhawk (he says, owning a Stormtalon).

I do like the Excommunicator though! A lot! :D

I don't entirely disagree but it is expressly stated they make use of Avengers as air support.

I would like to see a rule something like, in a Battalion or Brigade, your army may include 1 Avenger Strike Fighter seconded from the Imperial Navy. This model gains the <Order> keyword.

I like the idea of storm shield Celestians without any form of tactical dreadnought armor, that just kills the idea for me. Squad has same stats and squad size of the current Celestians. Beyond their grenades and pistols, give them storm shields and chainswords. Chainsword can be exchanged for a weapon from the melee weapon or ranged weapon lists.

Give the unit a chance to generate an Act of Faith on a 3+ each turn that can only be used on themselves.

Currently the models are an easy conversion from a Retributor model, could be equipped with special weapons to be shooty or given melee weapons to be choppy. The self contained AoF would give them a lot of versatility (outside of a transport) and really allow you to spec them out how you want and allow them to be good at it. Properly costed, they would be a great unit.

Give us that and then they just need to fix the cost of the hand flamer. If GW wants it to be half the hits and weaker than a flamer they shouldn't be almost the same price. A pair of hand flamers for 4-6 points for Seraphim might make them worth the points. Leave them at D3 hits with an additional point of strength and they still wouldn't be worth what they cost now.

I like the idea of storm shield Celestians without any form of tactical dreadnought armor, that just kills the idea for me. Squad has same stats and squad size of the current Celestians. Beyond their grenades and pistols, give them storm shields and chainswords. Chainsword can be exchanged for a weapon from the melee weapon or ranged weapon lists.

Give the unit a chance to generate an Act of Faith on a 3+ each turn that can only be used on themselves.

Currently the models are an easy conversion from a Retributor model, could be equipped with special weapons to be shooty or given melee weapons to be choppy. The self contained AoF would give them a lot of versatility (outside of a transport) and really allow you to spec them out how you want and allow them to be good at it. Properly costed, they would be a great unit.

Give us that and then they just need to fix the cost of the hand flamer. If GW wants it to be half the hits and weaker than a flamer they shouldn't be almost the same price. A pair of hand flamers for 4-6 points for Seraphim might make them worth the points. Leave them at D3 hits with an additional point of strength and they still wouldn't be worth what they cost now.

So...just crusaders but better than?

An alternative would be the praesidium protectiva - similar to the repulsor grid of the Kastelan robots, bounce and cc hits back on a save roll of 6. Adds that extra spice to a bodyguard unit.

Read through this entire thread earlier today and while I'm pretty new to the game in general I really liked the following ideas:

Power Spears. I would like to see that spear concept in action tbh. Maybe on a charge it gets x2 strength and -2AP in exchange for Seraphim losing 1 bolt Pistol and the ability to carry special pistols

The Vulcan Bolt Cannon(?) on a rhino/medium tank sounds cool as heck!

Celestians carrying these old reflecting shields in exchange for ranged weaps sounds neat as well!

I wouldn't mind a repurposed HQ in the way of the Mistress since she is her own character/elite slot. Maybe with +1 to SoF for Repentia. But just another HQ option or 2 would be nice in general.

Thems just my thoughts anyway.

Considering that they would be able to take ranged weapons with the shields, or take melee weapons if you really wanted them too. And got the chance to generate their own AoF and bodyguard, they would be, IMO, quite different from Crusaders. Allowing you to customize such a unit to suit your tastes would take the one stinker unit in the dex and make it worthwhile assuming it isn't overcosted. Certainly not a niche I see being filled by crusaders, but I guess if you do, we just need maelstrom cards and no dex. Because everything else in the index is fine by me, and a dex will probably only make it worse. Edited by dracpanzer

It may also be a case where units with functionally identical profiles and armaments play very differently based on radically divergent special rules representing different combat doctrines.

If crusaders had a rule that required them to launch assaults where possible and always end ever move opportunity closer to an enemy they'd for a different role than celestians that had some kind of 'shield-wall' mechanic that let them strike first when charged?

Or we give crusaders some 'ever-seeking-blade' rule that allows them to fall back from combat and still charge whereas we might give the celestians some variant of pseudo-flying, or even permission to violate the 'always closes with the enemy' constraint during combat consolidation? Justify that by saying they can't body-guard the canoness if they let themselves get trapped in a melee.

It would need to be an upside for the Crusaders, giving them a downside (restricting how you move them) with no upside to counteract it wouldn't encourage anyone to play them over sword and shield Celestians

I do like the Celestuabs with guns and ss/pp. Makes me think of riot police and honestly makes more sense to me than having mellee and shield and running into combat. Ranged and shield combo is scary sounding. 5 girls squad of 3 melta and shield in the open suddenly isnt so vulnerable. I would genuinely be scared to go up against such a force.

I do like the Celestuabs with guns and ss/pp. Makes me think of riot police and honestly makes more sense to me than having mellee and shield and running into combat. Ranged and shield combo is scary sounding. 5 girls squad of 3 melta and shield in the open suddenly isnt so vulnerable. I would genuinely be scared to go up against such a force.

I feel like they would have to be limited in the gun choices in that case. Kinda like in CoD.

Maybe Hand Flamers, Inferno Pistols and Bolt Pistols. Like those would still be good for tankiness but would trade off range for potency.

Oh, there's a thing. They could grant cover to other sisters that are within 1" and behind them? Fits with the whole 'body-guard' schtick. "Shelter behind us, Ma'am".

It would need to be an upside for the Crusaders, giving them a downside (restricting how you move them) with no upside to counteract it wouldn't encourage anyone to play them over sword and shield Celestians

Throwing in a bonus rule isn't hard. Re-rolls to hit when charging? Just make them cheaper?