Codex wishes

Atrus

Has anyone really said what comes after Tyranids codex?  I tend to agree with bkde that there are several other "main" armies that will likely come first.

SM, CSM, GK, DG, Ad Mech, As Mil, CW Aeldari, Tyrranids which makes 8 of the anticipated 10 (-ish) codices for this calendar year.

I am certainly hoping for one with Sisters in it (likely shared with others, but that's OK!) but as you said there are several other larger factions, such as Orks sd Tau.

A Codex would, I hope, give Sisters some new units, some stratagems, maybe a unique detachment organization or two, and my long cherished Order-specific traits /abilities. In the last 14 years we have received not a single new Unit, and only had two units issued in a new model form, the Canoness Veridyan and Saint Celestine.

Has anyone really said what comes after Tyranids codex?  I tend to agree with bkde that there are several other "main" armies that will likely come first.

SM, CSM, GK, DG, Ad Mech, As Mil, CW Aeldari, Tyrranids which makes 8 of the anticipated 10 (-ish) codices for this calendar year.

I am certainly hoping for one with Sisters in it (likely shared with others, but that's OK!) but as you said there are several other larger factions, such as Orks sd Tau.

A Codex would, I hope, give Sisters some new units, some stratagems, maybe a unique detachment organization or two, and my long cherished Order-specific traits /abilities. In the last 14 years we have received not a single new Unit, and only had two units issued in a new model form, the Canoness Veridyan and Saint Celestine.

I can see Orks being one of the last codexes to be released this year

As far as us getting our hopes up, if we're getting a big release, you have to consider when they're going to have a dry spell with models. otherwise if you can't think of a dry spell we'll either be last or not get a large release.

off the top of my head, remaining stuff still to get a dex:

1. blood angels
  2. dark angels
  3. spesh wolves
  4. orks
  5. tau
  6. GSC
  7. dark eldar
  8. necrons
  9. harliquins and ynnari
  10. thousand sons
  11. Knights
  12. imperial agents, inq, assasins, us (hopefully not rolled into IA again), etc

12 releases and that's just assuming we don't get any new factions, like them padding out more of the chaos legions with their own dex. Going at the rate of 2 per month, that's another 6 months worth of releases right there. Factor into that repackaging starter sets or non 40k releases, like AoS and "indi" games like necromunda. If they have a quiet month they might slam 3 or more codex out in the same month  just to stimulate sales. 

-Edit-

As an after thought, you can be reasonably sure there will be more primaris releases for BA/DA/SW.

And the remaining primarchs 

Edited by Drider

Yerp...so that's exactly my main point. Right now is the best the bolter babes may have it. Before we get out paced by all the codex shenanigans. Against Guard, and now Eldar, can almost see the codex creep starting...

No way theyd release new sisters and not make a big deal about it. Theyd make a parade in their (GWs) honour at this new line of plastic models. People will be amazed at this never before seen all female army and a whole heap of people jump on the band wagon :p

I can see a full dex and proper plastic release. No matter how good the dex is, gw will not sell any sisters models that are not made from plastic. Thats just the plastic privilege mentality these days.

• 2 weeks later...

Currently on the Games Workshop retail page for WH40K there is a large splash picture of Tyranids. In the foreground there are several Sisters of Battle in white armor with red robes. That's not the color scheme for any of the six currently canon Orders. Hopefully this heralds something new in the not too distant future.

Currently on the Games Workshop retail page for WH40K there is a large splash picture of Tyranids. In the foreground there are several Sisters of Battle in white armor with red robes. That's not the color scheme for any of the six currently canon Orders. Hopefully this heralds something new in the not too distant future.

I think that might be a copy paste image from the Blood Angle campaign when the nids attacked their home system. IRC the SoB might have used the same armor colors.

I was just thinking, the nearly never used Dialogus would be quite useful if she could be a bubble extension for a canoness' reroll 1's. Since the Dialogus has a portable vox hailer, and the canoness would have a vox communicator, the Dialogus could simply rebroadcast the inspiring messages or songs of the canoness to nearby troops. In Age of Sigmar, the Kurnoth Hunters of the Sylvaneth can do pretty much the same thing for Sylvaneth leaders. I think if they wrote that into the codex, then the Dialogus might actually be useful and show up more in armies. For that matter, our vehicles that have the vox hailer as part of the model kit but have no rules for actually using it could also act as a retransmitter for the Canoness' command ability. For a points cost, maybe 5 or 10 points would be a reasonable cost. What do you all think? Good idea, or never get used?

I think that might be a copy paste image from the Blood Angle campaign when the nids attacked their home system. IRC the SoB might have used the same armor colors.

Yeah, that's the scheme that GW's small contingent of Sacred Rose Sisters are done up in and accordingly the one they used for Shield of Baal.

611db25ee61cb0803cf6b5a483ba03da.jpg

Edited by Commander Dawnstar

• 2 weeks later...

Confimred we're going to get something in CA!

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/11/21/get-ready-for-chapter-approved-new-faction-rules-nov-21gw-homepage-post-3/

Chapter Approved contains expanded faction rules for 11 popular groups.

40kChapApp-Nov21-Factions5fw.jpg

Each one of these groups will be getting a Warlord Trait, Relic, at least one Stratagem, and in some cases even more. These are designed to add some thematic character to your army and should put you on a more even footing with those armies that have codexes already.

Interesting how we're referred to as Adepta Sororitas and not Adeptus ministorum.

Edited by Drider

I'm sorry but that's not strictly true. 

I had a whole response typed out but it came off as insulting and condescending, so I've refrained from posting it. What I will say though is, in the index and in the faction keyword structure Sisters are a subfaction of Ministorum, but that is no reason that Sisters can't be expanded on at the Sororitas level rather than the Ministorum level. Which is what I was surprised about.

I don't have my index on hand, so I could be wrong, but isn't "Adeptus Sororitas" its own section in the index and "Adeptus Ministorum" its own section?  Anyway, that is all off topic

Back on topic... I am looking forward to what we get in chapter approved though, hopefully it is useful.

It's more like ultramarines/Imp Fists/Crimson Fists/Raven Guard/salamanders/Whitescars in Index imp 1. With all their rules and most of their units being listed under the Adeptus Astartes faction and only unique units with no rules listed under each faction. The only difference is our subfaction, Sororitas, is a lot more built up than our parent faction, Ministorum.

You are correct though back on topic.

A quick refresh of what we're expecting to get in CA.

Adepta Sororitas
Strategems 
1GP Martydom-use when a character dies and on a 2+ can perform an Act of Faith
1GP Purity of Faith- use when an enemy uses psychic powers within 24" on a 4+ negate it.

Warlord Trait
re-roll failed morale tests if within 6" of Warlord

Relic
Blade to replace power sword. Melee S +2 AP-3 D3

Source: http://natfka.blogspot.co.uk/2017/11/chapter-approved-2017-coming-in.html

Given the GW community post, it would seem to lend credence to the Faeit 212 leak. Sadly it also seems like it could be a complete list of what we're getting... In other words, nothing special. We'll still have to wait for a codex release with the hope it'll have something decent.

Still though, giving a geminae that relic sword would be a nice little boost to Celestine's already choppy melee ability. 1CP for a 50:50 to deny could be fun, even if you brought a couple token psykers to get some real deny rolls, especially if your opponent casts on a 12 and gets canceled by a unit of basic sisters.

... Still though, giving a geminae that relic sword would be a nice little boost to Celestine's already choppy melee ability. ...

I'm not sure a Geminae could be assigned a relic. They have a whole bit about not being able to be assigned to named characters. It's just that most characters don't have ablative body guards as part of their unit so that's simple.

Argument in favour is that the profile name is 'Geminae Superia' and they all inherit <Character> from the datasheet's keywords, but the datasheet name is Celestine and by the same token they all inherit <Celestine>. What constitutes a 'named character' has had some fuzziness in the past. Is the Eldar Avatar a named character? With luck chapter approved will make this clear.

i doubt it will be resolved in CA. Maybe a few weeks after when we get the CA FAQ.

I'd think about it more as named characters being "unique". Which yeah, would rule out a geminae from having one if they inherit <celestine> would mean they couldn't take the relic. in the end it'll have to go onto the list of things that are needing FAQed along with the currently outstanding stuff. 

The think i'm wanting to know is the exact wording on the Martyrdom stratagem. it potentially makes celestine all but unkillable or have 4 melee attacks per game turn.

Well exorcists aren't characters are they :tongue.:

but on a serious note. AoF rules in the index reference a unit can only AoF once per turn, and since turns are player turns and game turns are Battle Rounds consisting of two player turns. The AoF strat is triggerable on the enemy turn when a character dies. 

I highly doubt we can use it to respawn a character who just died. it should have wording along the lines of resolve the AoF then remove the model. healing is also doubtful because if the model is dead then heals then it wasn't dead in the first place to trigger the strat off of, maybe it's doable, it'll probably be one of the ones that need FAQ'd. 

But things that are worth speculating without knowing exact wording are:

Got a plasma canoness who dies in  your own shooting phase, use the strat and make her double shoot on her way out. 

Any character killed in the enemy turn, shoot or assault via the strat.

Celestine makes it interesting. 

say she's in combat in the enemy turn, a geminae dies, all of a sudden she gets to attack twice in the enemies assault phase.

another one is, celestine is on her second life and tanking wounds for the geminae. celestine dies, do nothing, a geminae dies, respawn celestine on 1hp.

Even on the first life, if she's getting shot and 1 geminae dies, do nothing, if the 2nd geminae dies, pop the strat, respawn the first geminae on 1hp. That way they'd have to kill 2 models with 2 wounds, 1 model with 1 wound and 1 model with 7 wounds before they can even kill her the first time.

Like I said earlier, this strat makes celestine all but unkillable.

Note though that if you use the an AoF on celestine at the start of your own turn, you'd block being able to use the strat AoF on her as she can only benefit from AoF once per turn.

Edited by Drider

thats all assuming that it's the character that dies that gets the AoF.  I'm reading it as use the strat to give yourself an immediate AoF to be used on any unit with the AoF rule when a character dies.  If the latter, could well be a 6" distance limit to the dead character much like soulburst.