thewarriorhunter's PLOG - For The Greater Good Commission

Thanks, Kolgrim!

And pivoting in a different direction tonight I helped my son apply static grass to his bases. I showed him how to do it on one model and he took off and did the rest. He's very excited and it's quite an upgrade. He wants his bases to be a marsh theme and I think the grass really helps take it to that level.

FJL1Cshh.jpg

Finished the terminator commission! They're sealed up and I should be handing them off this week when I play a game (Yay!) at my FLGS. Overall I'm not a fan of the scheme but it was easy to paint up. If they were my models I'd probably have done more detail on them but given I was matching what he already has I didn't want to go overboard on them and also... time is money. I really wanted to put some decals on the shoulder shields but the only DA decals I had were white and they wouldn't have shown up at all. From the pictures my client says he's happy, true test will be when they're handed over.

I also stumbled upon a really good caucasian skin recipe. I was frustrated with the head and when I went to base coat a new color to start over the first thin coat made everything click. I'm very happy with it because I HATE painting skin. The picture doesn't do the head justice because my lighting washed it out. If I can get a better pic in sunlight I'll snap that and share.

3LJ6hVph.jpg

Wk3PqAGh.jpg

Both look good, but IMHO it depends on how "gritty" you want to get.  If you want the army to look more bright and unblemished, go with the light gray.  If you want to weather them up and look hard fought, I think the darker gray is better.

Started a new batch of bases so I'll have some available for my Aggressors and whatever 32mm primaris models I start next. I also got one of my scout squads rebased. The casualty in the back lost an arm and the glue is drying right now.

l4eZzv0h.jpg

Had a great air brush session today. Put some Leadbelcher onto the armigers for color testing. It's a little lighter than the knight I'm trying to match but it's pretty close. I'm hoping that the client is OK with it, otherwise I'll have to source a new color, but I've got some ideas.

I also tried out some shading on my infantry. I did a reverse zenithal of a darker gray and then did a normal zenithal with my main armor color. I got some nice shading and am looking forward to painting up the reivers to see how they turn out. While I was at it I decided to throw down a base coat of the darker gray on a Land Raider that I've had since I started the hobby. It was a gift from a friend because he had too many.

ABtzAy4h.jpg

DJLwIoJh.jpg

5QICMR1h.jpg

Blocked in the rest of the base colors for the final two models for one of two Calth tac squads. Gray is done being highlighted and blues are next. The backpack is for a heavy bolter. I tried a little of the shading I posted about on the reiver. I think it looks alright off model but I'm curious to see how it looks when done. It will be one of the only bits shaded though so I'm not expecting much until I can apply the technique to an entire model.

ptPsoimh.jpg

Finished up two heavy weapon tactical boys today. Their weapons still need highlights but I'm not really concerned about that at this point since they're for Betrayal at Calth. The first two missions are now playable with fully painted forces. I need to paint the assault cannon and CC weapon for the contemptor and then the third is playable as well.

I'm very happy with the backpack on the HB marine. I tried a new technique with my airbrush and I like it. I'm looking forward to seeing how it paints on a whole model. It helps to show the contrast in light and I think will help my army pop on the table.

BlHXKd4h.jpg

R1NvKsjh.jpg

Smash/Slash Captain body is done and based. I guess I could use him now in a game, which I might... but I don't have any games lined up right now so I'll keep plugging away.

I also got two banners done for my MKIV marines. I pinned the banners and drilled the packs so they're removable and will transport safely. Unfortunately I broke the Raven Guard banner but was able to fix it 'good enough' by just removing all of the 'pole' plastic piece and pinning the entire thing. I believe from the Table Top you'll never know but if you get close you'll see it. For the Raven Guard I gave the honor of carrying the banner into battle to the very first model I ever painted. I think that's a fitting honor since I most likely will never paint another RG model.

yGBZx7ih.jpg

ifzQS3Ih.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Sat down for a couple hours yesterday and got most of the base coating done on my armiger commission. I need to spray the other halves of the shoulders blue and one piece of armor needs to be redone because I goofed and sprayed the wrong side red.

A0Q9r6nh.jpg

Armiger weapons are blocked in and the steel i swashed. Gold trim is up next. For the Lightning locks I'm planning on dry-brushing gold onto the ridges and then washing that with Agrax. That should help those stand out and appear different than the steel on the other guns, it also seems like it will be somewhat close to the idea of the FW paint job.

P5fu4Gch.jpg

Decals were applied last night. I only had one sheet of transfers to stretch between the four models. Unfortunately two Armigers won't have the House Terryn crests and another two will be missing heraldry but I figure the backstory can be that those pilots haven't proven themselves enough yet to wear those. I added a campaign badge to each model as well so they'd have a little more going on. Washing and weathering are next for the bodies.

mSCpr0Sh.jpg

I also did a test run with my new decals. Sadly the icon didn't print right and there are lines across them because of the colors. Bedlam is working with me to fix them. The rest of the sheet is top notch though and very easy to work with. Decals applied as easily as the Armiger transfers adn lok great. I probably won't put a lot of decals on the Calth marines but I wanted to use one to test. I also weathered the model and overall I think it's a good start. I like my colors but I think I need to work on technique. I feel he looks more like he was romping around in the mud than delivering swift death to an enemy force.

JdM7SJKh.jpg

Got a lot of decals applied today. 5 Intercessors, my Redemptor, 2 Reivers, and a Phobos LT all got decals applied. Chapter icon is being reprinted so I'm waiting on those. The custom transfers are really nice to work with. The actual transfer material is very thin which is good because it goes on really easy but bad because it can clump up if I'm not being careful.

Shoulder icons went on nicely. I probably should have made them a bit smaller but they work. If I order more I'll change my sheet up and size things down slightly. I've decided the text will be accomplishments of the warrior. Marines who are new to the fight will have minimal accolades whereas commanders and veterans will have more absolutely-non-heretical script on their armor. I wanted to add more to the Redemptor but decided to stop before I went to far and it looked gaudy.

Here's a shot of some infantry:

Y1DugxYh.jpg

And something I've been excited to show off but haven't said much about is a campaign badge for my Redemptor:

Bjri8fKh.jpg

On the left armor panel he bears the symbol of the Space Crows.

Brother longjohnsilver sent me several models as prize support for building/priming the most stuff during the Raven Guard ramp up to ETL last year. To honor his generosity I had his chapter symbol created and the models in my army that came from him will have the symbol as a campaign badge. At some point as I develop more lore and background for my army I will be writing about the combined efforts of the Space Crows and Spectral Sicarii.

Moment of truth with the armigers last night as I sprayed the head effects. I think I got close but sprayed a little too large an area and I think I'm a went a little to heavy on the white. I'm going to see if that's ok with the client, if not I'll redo them. "Less is more" is the lesson I tend to take away from each session. First time I've ever attempted anything like this and regardless of the closeness of the match I'm happy with the result.

skNhr7Hh.jpg

Armigers are nearly done. I finally figured out (I think) that the snow on the original knight base is GW snow flock so I ordered some of that and should have it tomorrow. I'm hoping to wrap these up this weekend and hand them off (and get paid!) next week. I used my TP technique from my RG bases for these and like how they came out. Once the snow and blood is added I think they'll be a very close match all around.

SrOQPnZh.jpg

Photo bomb incoming: Armiger Commission complete and ready for delivery next week. Very happy with the whole project and I think I did pretty good with matching the knight's existing scheme. I got some group photos with the big brother to show the color schemes being very close to matching. My client has been happy with all of the pictures and I'm glad to be done so I can focus on my models for a bit.

Hidden Content

bTxHn9wh.jpg

UQKCGGoh.jpg

MXqniISh.jpg

wW56bTSh.jpg

5EpQHFFh.jpg

6bd5SgVh.jpg

P5qvZXYh.jpg

uaWkIN2h.jpg

hH1w5eFh.jpg

BgUdk6Eh.jpg

Handed the Armigers off to the client with hand and received a bunch of Tau with the other. Next project for him is 9 Crisis Suits, 9 Stealth Suits, a Ghostkeel and all the drones. Stealth Suits were built tonight and magnetized.

kZhudKGh.jpg

g224xI7h.jpg

Sounds like a spectacular success :smile.:

You're building them too? Full-service offer I see.

If they want, yes. I enjoy building and painting and they're a nice break from each other. I've done a job where it was just painting and it actually irritated me because they were sloppily built and primed with mold lines everywhere.

Ghostkeel is done and magnetized. Basing is simple (gravel/sand) and after that it's on to priming. Stealth suits are also completely magnetized but I don't have a snazzy video of them. 3mm x 1mm magnets were used on the shoulders and 5mm x 1mm for the right arm. The 5 x 1's are hard to create holes for because my pin vice won't go that large so I finally broke down and used my dremel on a model. I went slow both in RPMs and carving and it worked out very well.

Edited by thewarriorhunter