thewarriorhunter's PLOG - For The Greater Good Commission

This is the first terrain I've done. It was fast and easy. I've been painting for a since time and it was nice to build again.

My desk that is in all my back grounds came in three boxes with a lot of foam sheets. I've saved it all for future DIY terrain projects. I'm going to build a hot wire cutter soon and get started on some terrain that matches the theme of my bases.

Right arms are done... wow... took longer than I thought but I'm pleased with the results. Not thrilled with the leather, I think it's too dark and the photos aren't helping because my lighting wasn't great. I do think it's time for a macro-mat though, I enjoy photography and took these with my D3300, I think this is going to be a great excuse to get back into photography and get the DSLR off of 'auto'.

http://i.imgur.com/VENwXfq.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/dxI6DBF.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/F0jPkRI.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Xr5CUXw.jpg

Edited by thewarriorhunter

I redid the leather, realizing I used the wrong brown as a base. I was really worried but am thankful I figured it out. Good thing I'm a devout follower of the Ministorum Artifex and strictly adhere to the Codex of Our Lord And Savior Duncan Rhodes and only apply thin coats. New color and wash went on and you'd never know there was a wrong base and wash underneath.

Tabbards added, getting close!

http://i.imgur.com/M1VfZKG.jpg

Closer! Heads and grenade launcher done! Arms and one shoulder pad (that needs casting, going to have to wait on that) and then this unit will be done. After these guys I think I'll be putting my vanguard vets further down the to-do list...

http://i.imgur.com/inFIU60.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

FINALLY.DONE.WITH.THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I took my models outside and did a quick photo shoot. I'm a bit disappointed with the lighting. I was in a shaded area but it was too dark. If I was in the sun the shadows were very stark. I am going to either get a macromat for indoor shots or build some stands and a basic frame for a photo box that I can use. If I had some a proper setup I could have used stands to elevate my models and get them high enough that shadows wouldn't have been an issue. Still super stoked that this unit is done and that I got some good pictures.

I guess since the pictures are dim we'll say that they are part of my Vindecet Honorem executing a strike on an Eldar encampet in the early hours of the morning...

http://i.imgur.com/bYSM2eA.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/gtB0LKx.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/cyve6tF.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/H6SowoD.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/SFShpMT.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/HRw8Hdk.jpg

Those Cataphractii are ace, nice work, you've definitely got me thinking about adding a set to my force.

One of your struggles with the pictures could be the white background you're shooting them against and the camera being on auto. It's picking up the white and setting the exposure to that, bringing the white down and sending your blacks through the floor in the image. This is why the ones against the cutting mat come out more clearly. Shooting against a grey card background and adding some diffusion (you can use white baking parchment for this and it's dirt cheap) could really show off these guys.

[edit] also, mind sharing your leather recipe?

Edited by NiceGuyAdi

I'm sure a lot of it was the white. I have an entry level DSLR that we bought for family pictures and I'm a wannabe amateur photographer. I'm sure auto was not my friend for these. I plan on taking some time to learn how to use the camera in manual mode. I took photography in high school and loved it so I know I'll get back into the swing of things, but I have to put in the time to learn the camera first.

Leather is super easy:

Vallejo Leather Brown base (usually two thin coats... seriously)

Secret Weapon Miniatures Dark Sepia Wash (usually two coats)

After debating what I wanted to work on next my devastator squad has come out as winners. I want to give them a shot because I like the idea of throwing them in some cover on one end of the table. The -1 to hit will hopefully keep them alive long enough to chew up anything coming at them. Also with the Signum rule it'll be nice getting the +1 to hit every turn, I don't think it'll be game breaking but I can see it coming it helping quite a bit considering a lot of those weapons are devastating when they hit.

Here's the next group to get painted:

bCGLl2w.jpg

I didn't have enough corks to prime the whole unit since I paint in sub-assemblies/pieces so I'll be starting with two lascannons. I don't have a lot of anti-tank unless I roll out a land raider and that chews up valuable points since I tend to play smaller games. When I'm done with these guys I plan on painting up the Plasma and Melta for the unit. I'm looking forward to rolling with plasma and a captain nearby and overcharging all day.

I've been collecting FW bits and I finally have a chance to sprinkle them decently through the unit. I'm also going to be magnetizing the Sgt weapon options because I have a problem.

Lastly I did a minor conversion and took the Sgt's auspex doo-hicky and attached it to his leg. I didn't want to model him holding it but I did think it would be cool to keep it on the model:

JwDwSWR.jpg

Got up early this morning so I could prime the start of the Dev squad. It get's to be ~90 by 9AM sometimes and doesn't go below 100 till after sundown. I've decided that this squad will not be from the 3rd company but I'm not sure which one they will come from. Since this is a unique campaign for the RG they gathered what resources they could and dispatched the Detatchment. This means that different elements from different companies are present and working as a cohesive force. Well... I've got some time before I'm ready to determine color the the right pad banding.

KuxntY0.jpg

Imo mixing company/squad markings can really take away from an army. Having say green trim for the majority, and then blue for the devs, and grey for some assault marines is visually inconsistent and tends to look a bit bad. I'd consider company numbers over colour designation

I see your point. i don't think company numbers would work unless I did different colors since each company has a different color. It wouldn't match the RG background to have different companies all have Red trim. My elites are coming from the 1st company, so I already have those units breaking up the scheme. I can see how a smaller game might look odd with mixed colors... something to think about.

I say go for the different colours. If you're concerned about the colours clashing, maybe paint the shoulder trim red, or leave it black, and then add a slash of the correct company colour to one of their kneepads, an indicator that they are serving outside their company due to exceptional circumstances?

I say go for the different colours. If you're concerned about the colours clashing, maybe paint the shoulder trim red, or leave it black, and then add a slash of the correct company colour to one of their kneepads, an indicator that they are serving outside their company due to exceptional circumstances?

This is the reason I sometimes regret not making my own chapter that was a successor of the RG. It's a great idea but lore-wise it doesn't work. I've got time to think about it... The good think about their company colors is that it's ONLY on the right shoulder trim, so if it does look terrible it's an easy fix to bring it back to red.

I just realized though that scouts are technically not 3rd company (the predominant RG company you see) so I already have elements of the 1st, 3rd, and 10th company in my army.

Here's their organizational chart from the Angels of Death supplement:

But7usJ.png

I guess it would make sense to leave the devs as 3rd company but if I wanted to pull them from a different squad the 9th makes the most sense since it is their reserve devastator company...

Oh well. I've got a game tonight!!!! So I'll think about this as I paint them and get to that point.

I see your point. i don't think company numbers would work unless I did different colors since each company has a different color. It wouldn't match the RG background to have different companies all have Red trim. My elites are coming from the 1st company, so I already have those units breaking up the scheme. I can see how a smaller game might look odd with mixed colors... something to think about.

1st company white is kind of the exception to the rule, because white compliments everything. It also draws the eye to what usually ends up being the more powerful units in a marine list. There's a good reason you rarely see Blood Angels with full codex designations going on; different coloured helmet for battlefield role, different coloured kneepad for squad, different coloured chest skull and shoulders for seargents, gold for jump pack elites, black for crazies.

Company adherence is a cool fluff piece, but can really throw the look out of whack. Before 6th I believe, we had the old style of Green for Tacticals, Red for Assault, Yellow for Devs and White arms for Vets. I wasn't big on the clutter so personally never followed it, maybe it's why I dislike most Deathwatch schemes

Edited by SkimaskMohawk

Base layer of Black/Black Gray applied tonight. I have some other details to do first but after one or two washes with Nuln Oil they'll be brought down to a nice black. I've also been sitting on some FW shoulder pads and I plan on decking this squad out. After my game Friday I think a squad of devastators is going to be an auto include in my list. The two ML two LC setup did a lot of damage. Sticking them in ruins in a back corner of the board and Shrike for rerolls was very effective.

xEjh0k0.jpg

I put a call out for basing material on a FB group. I think I got a deal that may cause me to resell what I got an continue looking... Maybe you guys can help me out. Here is what I should be receiving in a few days:

Um6av0a.jpg

I know there's 7 windriders and a viper, the seller said the other two skimmers are FW circa 2005. They look like the regular Aeldari skimmer base but the gun in the front between the fins is not sold anymore (that I can tell), and I was able to recognize the FW scatter turrets on top.

So... anyone care to guess what a fair price for these would be? I'll list the price I paid after/if I get any answers to my question (I'm genuinely curious because I don't know if the skimmers are rare/sought after).

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

I've decided to get this thread back up and running. I was mostly posting in the Raven Guard section so I didn't have to keep two threads updated but I've begun to branch out into a lot more stuff. Since my last post I've painted up some Word Bearers for the Calth boxed game, started working on a Mordheim warband, gotten some Necrons for my son, and I plan on working on and building up at least four different Kill Teams (Homebrew Power Armor, Grey Knights, Admech, CSM). I'm also sitting on two knight kits on sprue, and to armigers from the Forgebane box so I've got a lot of stuff I want to work on.

If you want to check out a lot of new units I've added into my RG army you can click the link in my sig. For now here's a smattering of what I've worked on and completed since my last post and I'll keep this thread updated. I also love feedback and C&C so feel free to offer it up!

Since I left off with my WIP devastator squad here they are completed:

Hidden Content
ncPTvs4.jpg

Hidden Content
q4Qqp0n.jpg

Hidden Content
N2JTkMW.jpg

I also got a boltgun squad of scouts done:

Hidden Content
EfQivxE.jpg?1

Hidden Content
beVIJyE.jpg

Word Bearers:

Hidden Content
FHFbxJp.jpg

Finished up my first painted HQ, a captain in cataphractii armor for my RG:

Hidden Content
5jOtB35.jpg

Hidden Content
qvY2S4C.jpg

Hidden Content
wZGGYdA.jpg

And lastly I finished up my magister for my Cult of the Possessed warband for Mordheim:

Hidden Content
D1lb93R.jpg

Hidden Content
8IiLMHJ.jpg

I recently moved my office/desk/hobby area which required me to clean up a lot of stuff that I had lying around. My workbench was getting clogged with half painted units and models but I've been able to clear that out for the most part. I am planning on finishing up the 5 Word Bearers that I started working on so they can be done, and then I'll probably start working on my first Kill Team.

• 2 weeks later...

A coworker is coming over after work tomorrow to try out Kill Team. I put some quick base coats on some shipping containers that I printed out. They need more work but my goal is to get some color on the table my tomorrow night. I'll post some pictures of the board later. It's going to be Grey Knights vs Raven Guard.

Hidden Content
ep5JEA3.jpg

Lots of stuff printed, all but one piece primed, and about a dozen containers base coated. Until I feel like finishing up the half done Word Bearers on my bench I'm going to continue to procrastinate and paint up this terrain.

Album of the board and layout for the game I played today: https://imgur.com/a/0cEmPQF

Homebrew Kill Team thought/question: Would you take issue with someone running a homebrew chapter using DW rules?

I have wanted to make my own chapter for awhile now but didn't want to invest it into a huge 40k army. KT gives me that chance. I've had the thoughts floating around in my head for a while now. Basic lore for me is that Guilliman doesn't trust the inquisition, and by extension the DW since they're the xenos smash hammer arm of it. However he recognizes their usefulness so he organizes and sends out small elite teams of Primaris marines that operate in the same way, but they are completely separate from the inquisition. Because of their small size and secretive deployment they aren't on any official books.

Practical reasons for me are: my primary army is Raven Guard and I don't want to paint more black power armor.

I also want to build a Primaris only list that operates in a 'more elite' manner, hence the desire to use the DW rules.