Traditional squad types but primaris-size models?

Hi everyone, sorry of this has been covered in another thread. I haven't seen it specifically so I thought I'd ask.

I like the Primaris models, particularly the basic bolter guys, but I have a long history with the game and prefer the traditional squad types, like assault squads and tac squads. So I'm wondering what people think will happen model-wise with regard to the traditional squad types.

Do you think there'll ever be, for example, an assault squad kit but up-scaled to Primaris size? Or do you think it'll be little marines for the familiar squad types for the future, and if you want Primaris-size you have to accept all the weird new things like rievers and those seraphim guys instead? I see people predicting all the little marines will eventually disappear, and people predicting they won't, but what about the possibility of the little marines all being turned into big marines alongside the Primaris? Do people think this is likely at all?

I don't think there will be a kit. But I am having trouble reconciling the fluff. Primaris Companies have a different number of squads/sizes, but if regular Marines in regular chapters can upgrade to Primaris, why would they alter their squad/company disposition? I say go for it, and use them as counts-as norm marines :tu:

Cheers,

Jono

The specific question demands speculation that has been hashed around.

Currently, if you like the classic (?) squad structure and the Primaris size models, then go for it. Your gaming dudes are the ones you'll want to talk to though because they'll have to deal with your idea.

I saw go for it but with one caveat... if you're going to use primaris restartes models as older secondus astartes then don't include *ANY* actual primaris in your force.  The key to equitable counts as is clarity; if some primaris aren't whereas others are, you are the root cause of any subsequent confusion even if you explain it carefully to your opponent ahead of time.  If you do that and base them properly on the same size bases as normal marines, I don't see any issue with most reasonable folks.  I too like the proportions of the new models but not the fluff (and as of today with the previews of the codex) or their lack of options so might do the same with my small primaris custom chapter force (that is only a single test model at the moment, lol).

Many many people have dabbled with truescaling marines for traditional armies long prior to primaris. Veteran sergent has a blog about it and compared some of his upscales next to mono build primaris and the scaling is good.

I intend, and would recomend to you to look into his method (as well as research others) ignori ng some of yhe more advanced reposing he did, you can add height and fix proportions with 4 cuts and 5 slivers of material added to the basic marine and they look good next to primos. Infact it convinces me that primos are just regular marines in a new mark of armour which is my personal headcannon.

Actually I'm also pretending that primos are extreme veteran normal marines, who are good candidates for promotion to Cpt, LT and chaplain etc (they are just regular veterans with 2 wounds and better gear anyways.)

https://veteransergeant.wordpress.com/2015/03/26/true-scale-space-marine-tutorial/

Here it is.

Edited by Canadian_F_H

I don't think there will be a kit. But I am having trouble reconciling the fluff. Primaris Companies have a different number of squads/sizes, but if regular Marines in regular chapters can upgrade to Primaris, why would they alter their squad/company disposition? I say go for it, and use them as counts-as norm marines :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Jono

Yeah it doesn't make much sense to me either. That's why I thought maybe they'd eventually release all the little kits as big fellas, to represent upgraded marines. I just keep imagining how cool it would look to see a squad of huge chainsword wielding maniacs crashing into a mob of orks or guardsmen or something.

Many many people have dabbled with truescaling marines for traditional armies long prior to primaris. Veteran sergent has a blog about it and compared some of his upscales next to mono build primaris and the scaling is good.

I intend, and would recomend to you to look into his method (as well as research others) ignori ng some of yhe more advanced reposing he did, you can add height and fix proportions with 4 cuts and 5 slivers of material added to the basic marine and they look good next to primos. Infact it convinces me that primos are just regular marines in a new mark of armour which is my personal headcannon.

Actually I'm also pretending that primos are extreme veteran normal marines, who are good candidates for promotion to Cpt, LT and chaplain etc (they are just regular veterans with 2 wounds and better gear anyways.)

https://veteransergeant.wordpress.com/2015/03/26/true-scale-space-marine-tutorial/

Here it is.

Thanks, that's really helpful. Could be a good project for the future.

I've thought about using Primaris as normal Marines and just changing up Weapons to standard weapons, chainswords, heavy weapons, special weapons. The Reavers will even make good Scouts. The new Centurian looking guys, could just be.... well, Centurians. No reason why the new Dreadnought couldn't just be a Venerable Dreadnought.

I've thought about using Primaris as normal Marines and just changing up Weapons to standard weapons, chainswords, heavy weapons, special weapons. The Reavers will even make good Scouts. The new Centurian looking guys, could just be.... well, Centurians. No reason why the new Dreadnought couldn't just be a Venerable Dreadnought.

Why bother changing the weapons?  The hellblaster plasmagun is still an obvious plasma gun and the bolt rifle is an obvious bolter IMO or at least no more or less different than a FW HH era bolter or shark nosed missile launcher or 2nd edition Chubby pattern bolter and boom tube missile launcher.  As long as you're consistent and not mixing and matching/minmaxing, I don't see the issue.  YMMV.

Why bother changing the weapons? The hellblaster plasmagun is still an obvious plasma gun and the bolt rifle is an obvious bolter IMO or at least no more or less different than a FW HH era bolter or shark nosed missile launcher or 2nd edition Chubby pattern bolter and boom tube missile launcher. As long as you're consistent and not mixing and matching/minmaxing, I don't see the issue. YMMV.

Most of them I agree with you, but it's things like the assault squad guys, whatever their called, I'd want them to have bolt pistols and chainswords. The rest are easy.

Here it is.

That's a good point.  Almost no one that I've met (whether in person or online) has had issues with truescaled marines used as normal ones.  As long as their use is consistent and folks are mixing and matching some primaris and not others as normal marines, I don't see any issue.

If you own the models why aren't you simply running them as Primaris?

They're shaping up to be strong units in their own right.

As the OP said, original squad sizes, ten man tactical squads, ten man assault squads and ten man devadtator squads. That's why.

Unless Primaris can start taking additional squad members.

Edited by MoK

Most of them I agree with you, but it's things like the assault squad guys, whatever their called, I'd want them to have bolt pistols and chainswords. The rest are easy.

Sorry if it wasn't clear but I was referring to the units and loadouts you mentioned.  I agree about the flying guys having to switch although I'd try if possible to use the new, longer machinepistol style bolt pistols with them to keep them consistent with the characters who also have pistols (instead of substituting in secondus marine pistols).

As for reivers, I'd definitely be keen on using them as scouts (assuming that scouts don't have the noob lower statline in this edition).  I'd recommend taking off the power armor backpack and replacing it with something smaller (like tau backpacks for instance) and attaching the grav chute fins to that.

If you own the models why aren't you simply running them as Primaris?

They're shaping up to be strong units in their own right.

As the OP said, original squad sizes, ten man tactical squads, ten man assault squads and ten man devadtator squads. That's why.

Unless Primaris can start taking additional squad members.

From previews on youtube today that I watched, most of the primaris squads have doubled in max size so the 3 squad types went up to an option 6 and the 5 man squads got a boost to 10.

"Intercessor Squad Fabulous reporting as company reinforcements, Captain!"

"We don't run with those fancy new titles or equipment here Brother. You are now 4th Tactical Squad, 2nd Company."

"Now report to the Armoury and get those Guard rifles swapped out for proper bolters as He intended us to use."