Reivers VS Aggressors

Topsy_Kret

Greetings Brothers and Sisters,

So, I'm still a little new to 40k in general...first tabletop wargame I've played aside from D&D. I have an Imperium Army consisting of Black Templars and Battle Sisters (see list here) I hope the link is ok?. Having no bias towards the Primaris marines since I'm a new player, I would like to include them in my army. The issue I've run into is this, I'm torn between buying either the Agressors or the Reivers. So far, the Reivers are in favor thanks to their helmets able to be used as perhaps chaplain helmet conversions. Anyone have thoughts or suggestions which may perhaps be better for my particular army?

They both fill very different roles.

The aggressors are for killing horses in shooting with some powerfist punching.

They don't have anyway to deploy outside the normal area.

The reivers are for appearing in unexpected places and disrupting enemy formations. If you choose the knife and pistol option they will do a good nub of fighting low armor save units. With the bolt carbines they will do a good job of providing fire support vs infantry from an unexpected angle.

Aggressors can also be fitted with dual heavy flamers instead of bolters and missiles, making them a pure close combat unit that should revel in taking out big blobs of enemies, like orks. This makes them pretty similiar to the vile looking assault centurions, but a fair bit more aesthetically appealing. (The irony of my other recent post berating others for their hostility vs primaris units, while I do the same towards centurions is not entirely lost on me...)

Reivers on the other hand I don't know very much, but they're clearly much more of a disruption unit ala classic scouts.

Thematically I would perhaps say that Agressors fit in with our existing units more and that Reivers feel a lot more like Ravenguard, but I'm loathe to advice anyone against getting a unit they might otherwise enjoy because I feel it isn't Templar enough (except witches. You just *can't* get any witches, no matter what...)

They both fill very different roles.

The aggressors are for killing horses in shooting with some powerfist punching.

killing horses in shooting with some powerfist punching

killing horses

Brother... why? :huh.:

The machine spirit of my phone is very naughty.

Your naughty phone gave me All Quiet on the Western Front flashbacks, so it can look forward to a paddlin.  And not the naughty kind a naughty machine spirit would enjoy! :tongue.:

Edited by Firepower

Your naughty phone gave me All Quiet on the Western Front flashbacks, so it can look forward to a paddlin.

<Michael Constantine Greek voice> "You are sooo old"

Back to the topic:

It would seem to me that if you look at your two existing forces, at a very high level, Templars are your stabby guys (I know, they can do other things) and Sisters are "cheaper" shooty gals.

Now the two units you are looking at are supplemental in nature, meaning that they wouldn't necessarily replace the basic capabilities that are in Templars/Sisters.

So if you are looking to enhance existing capabilities, then consider this:

1. The Reivers could be used to interdict units that the opponent might use to harm your Templars/Sisters. For example, if you could assault an enemy fire support squad, thus preventing them from shooting, then that might allow your main force to advance without taking unnecessary casualties. There is value in preserving your forces for the tasks they need to accomplish.

2. The Aggressors, especially equipped as Reinhard suggested with flamers, could enhance the impact of your assaulting units because they are able to apply large negative AP modifiers with the powerfists, thus potentially killing units faster.

To turn the question back at you, what sort of capability are you looking for?

Also, welcome to the Eternal Crusade brother. We welcome your entire family of Brothers and Sisters. :)