Someone suggested elsewhere the idea of a Holy Crusade army - with a small core of SoB leading a regiment of Imperial Guard. 

This idea really appealed to me but I'm looking for some advice with regard to implementing it:

Firstly, which SoB units to use as the leaders of the crusade. I was thinking St. Celestine and maybe some Priests, but are there any other units I should consider?

Second, any suggestions regarding the IG part of the army? I'd like to use primarily infantry but I'm wondering how best to kit them out to represent their being led by SoB. Should I use Meltas and Flamers? Also, should the sergeants have melee weapons or such? Any specific IG units you think would work for this theme?

Finally, any other advice or suggestions for this theme?

(I've posted this on the SoB section as well, hopefully that's okay.)

it is a crusade. you need at least 1 priest with some crusaders! I converted some bretonian men at arms for mine. hellhounds for all the burning! maybe conscripts modeled as milita for the basic population following the crusades. For the SOB i would say celestine with some seraphim (angel theme). Also some repenta (y'know redeption in death m'larky) 

Just all the flamers and meltas to burn the heretics, on everything. chimeras? double flamers. tanks? flamers. 

I think a most what you would take is based on the actual idea of the guard detachment. Is it a group of zealous soldier specifically joing the crusade, a detachment specifically added it the sisters regardless of zeal, or even a group on convicts on a penance crusade. Also game wise are you looking for the guard to help shore the sister's deficiencies? For example range and numbers. All in all anything in the list except abhumans and psykers would fit. Edited by Altasmurf

Sisters work well allied in, they can provide some more durable infantry as well as superior close range fire power. As Guard the enemy will want to close on you - which is just what the Sisters ordered ;) Any unit would serve well but I'd focus on Troop and Fast Attack, Celestine would be perfect to lead such a force for obvious reasons!

Thanks for the responses, guys.

it is a crusade. you need at least 1 priest with some crusaders! I converted some bretonian men at arms for mine. hellhounds for all the burning! maybe conscripts modeled as milita for the basic population following the crusades. For the SOB i would say celestine with some seraphim (angel theme). Also some repenta (y'know redeption in death m'larky) 

Just all the flamers and meltas to burn the heretics, on everything. chimeras? double flamers. tanks? flamers. 

Okay, I'll try to get all those in.

I'd say things like weapons are less important than how you model the army. That said, when in doubt, everything burns...

Do you have any suggestions regarding modelling this sort of army?

I think a most what you would take is based on the actual idea of the guard detachment. Is it a group of zealous soldier specifically joing the crusade, a detachment specifically added it the sisters regardless of zeal, or even a group on convicts on a penance crusade. Also game wise are you looking for the guard to help shore the sister's deficiencies? For example range and numbers. All in all anything in the list except abhumans and psykers would fit.

Hmm, I hadn't actually thought about it that much. I'd probably go with zealous/fanatical soldiers further inspired by the SoB.

Game-wise, I'm more adding SoB to an IG army rather than adding IG to a SoB army, if you see what I mean. However, I'm also looking for something that might be a bit more fun for my opponents than a standard gunline. I thought it might be fun to play an IG list with fewer long-range weapons, where most of the stuff wants to get close or even charge. I also wanted to use my Living Saint conversion.

SOB have dominions, which in turn have 4 point storm bolters as an option. You can take 4 special weapons in a Dominion squad, plus whatever you give the "sergeant". 75 points gets you 5 gals with BS 3+, armor of 3+, each armed with a storm bolter with Rapid Fire 2, all for 75 points. 

Suggestions for modeling: A big decision is whether this is SoB leading Astra Militarum, or SoB leading Ecclesiarchy militia. If militia, go for something very low tech and rag tag. WHFB Flagellants, or other human infantry, given guns. Alternatively beastmen or Skaven (plague monks with tails removed and faces shrouded fit just fine with Plastic lasting arms) as abhumans driven on a penitent crusade for the crime of existing. If actual Astra Militarum, I'd say use whatever infantry models you want, but add talismans, banners, reliquaries, and whatnot to give them a little big of a zealot feeling. Put little shrines on tanks, model the bases as tile or stone instead of rubble, just little touches. If you have access to the flagellant kit, it has tons of little dangly charms and books and scrolls that you could use to add a little flair to the army.

Edit: oh, and big conscript blobs of civilians. Chaos Cultists, with chaos symbols removed, could maybe even work for that.

Edited by Kinstryfe