Deathwatch access to new space marine units and powers

xenomortis

So we now have access to the following, confirmed on the official download from the GW website:

- Aggressor squad

- Primaris captain

- Primaris librarian 

- Redemptor dreadnought

- Reiver squad

I am very tempted to get a Redemptor dread with twin gatling cannons. Backed up by a watch master I think that could be a really good combination. 

Source: https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/Downloads/K3ns3JDOGE2asjf/Primaris-week-3/239fhfght_ENG_Primaris_Marines_Release_03_July_22nd.pdf 

Also got access to the new space marine librarius discipline. I personally think the standard powers in the index are poor so looking forward to possibly fielding a librarian again if we get some decent powers.

Source: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/07/22/the-other-angels-of-death-and-codex-space-marines/

Well the three new psychic powers are:
Psychic Scourge (6): Pick visible enemy unit within 18", psyer & unit rolls of with +LD,  if you win: D3 mortal, if equal: 1 mortal, lose: Nothing.
Fury of the Ancients (7): 3D6" distance, pick a enemy model, draw a line, each model under suffers a mortal wound.
Psychic Fortress (5): Adeptus Astartartes within 18" skips Morale and gets a 4+ FNP against Mortal Wounds caused by psychic powers.

So pick your poison. Gotta love more ways of causing Mortal Wounds. ;D 

Other than that, I'm probably only gonna get a group of Reivers or the Dreadnought if anything from the new stuff. But that's becuase I'm keeping DW force kinda small and Inquisitoral like. ;P 

Edited by Nurgleprobe

I'm hoping they give us access to the repulsor as well since they are giving us access to the rest of the primaris stuff. Seems like a cool little landraider with good firepower and an additional rule that affects the enemy charges. It looks cool but I think some video review said that it costs more then the landraider atm.

Reivers and Dreds seem to be the only good choices. Maybe aggressors for hordes/infantry, but those are expensive as well.

I have the captain with the stalker bolter, planning to use him with my back line stalker/infernus squad for re-rolls. I think the librarian is good? Wasn't sure what his cost was compared to the original.

Honestly as someone who plays both these armies I don't really see a use for any of the Primaris. I'm assuming they'd just be Primaris with a silver shoulder pad, until the real codex comes out?

I've been playing Primaris a lot with my Ultra's, and even the new units are very mediocre imo.

I'm only including them in my Ultra's because of the background and it's something new and fun for me to paint. Even the Redemptor, which I love the look of, is just a pill box that can't move without an aura or it will miss a lot of those (essentially) Heavy Bolter shots.

For Ultra's it's different. They can use the Wisdom of Ancients Tactics and create an aura from the Dread to re roll ones. Deathwatch have to baby sit it with a character aura which quite frankly is better served elsewhere.

If I were including Primaris it would simply be for fun.

Honestly as someone who plays both these armies I don't really see a use for any of the Primaris. I'm assuming they'd just be Primaris with a silver shoulder pad, until the real codex comes out?

I've been playing Primaris a lot with my Ultra's, and even the new units are very mediocre imo.

I'm only including them in my Ultra's because of the background and it's something new and fun for me to paint. Even the Redemptor, which I love the look of, is just a pill box that can't move without an aura or it will miss a lot of those (essentially) Heavy Bolter shots.

For Ultra's it's different. They can use the Wisdom of Ancients Tactics and create an aura from the Dread to re roll ones. Deathwatch have to baby sit it with a character aura which quite frankly is better served elsewhere.

As far as character auras go, is having a character in your back line to buff all your long range shooting (Stalker teams, Lazerbacks, FW shooting, etc.) such a bad idea?  I've got a cheap-as-chips Captain in my backline to boost shooting, and having a nice beefy dread back there to both hurl dakka (18 shots at S5 AP-1 still isn't something to laugh at) and act as an in-a-pinch counter-assault unit is valuable to me.

And think of the Repulsor!  Sure, it's expensive, but it's a hardy transport for your Aggressors (great with the flamers) and Hellblasters...a real fire magnet that will draw attention away from your squishier kill teams and might just weather enough to deliver a hammer blow with those squads (though, to be fair, this is all hypothetical until they hit the table :wink: ).

I find the Reivers to be the best (and that's putting it lightly) out of the lot. You deep strike them behind enemy lines with carbines and harass with a 20 wound unit with 20 bolter shots every turn. They aren't much of a threat, but they are a distraction and the enemy needs to deal with them. Would be nice if we could take carbine+knife though.

The dreadnought for 200 points is kind of eh. I don't understand why its gatling guns are so expensive. 36+18 points for essentially 3 twin-linked heavy bolters with worse range? Why is it more expensive when its has less range? Plasma gun is good, but it doesn't mess well with the other guns.

I don't know to cost of Hellblasters or if we get them (though likely yes), but if the points are right then a heavy plasma incinerator platform might be worth it.

Inceptors, no for the cost. Intercessors are just different veterans.

Just looked at the wording again, it's not about having the keyword Space Marine. Space Marines is a faction and all sub factions will get it if they are battle forged. Deathwatch, though they are adeptus astartes, are not part of the Space Marine Faction. We'll have to wait until our codex comes out to see what benefits we get for being battle forged.

According to the GW community article, all we get is access to is the Primaris Space Marines and psychic powers.

As far as character auras go, is having a character in your back line to buff all your long range shooting (Stalker teams, Lazerbacks, FW shooting, etc.) such a bad idea?  I've got a cheap-as-chips Captain in my backline to boost shooting, and having a nice beefy dread back there to both hurl dakka (18 shots at S5 AP-1 still isn't something to laugh at) and act as an in-a-pinch counter-assault unit is valuable to me.

And think of the Repulsor!  Sure, it's expensive, but it's a hardy transport for your Aggressors (great with the flamers) and Hellblasters...a real fire magnet that will draw attention away from your squishier kill teams and might just weather enough to deliver a hammer blow with those squads (though, to be fair, this is all hypothetical until they hit the table :wink: ).

Well no, it's not a horrible idea to have an Aura in your backfield. It's just not what Deathwatch do typically very well. Marines will get far more mileage out of this and be able to do it a little more efficiently.

Meanwhile a LOT of the beef in the Deathwatch is sitting somewhere around Frag cannon/combi weapon range. This is where I like my Aura. Heck if I'm honest I'm putting it in a flyer, or dropping it in a pod between two flyers, and that's a lot of mileage out of the Aura for Deathwatch. And this has very little to do with Primaris marines.

I agree the Helblasters are good. In my opinion they are the best out of all the releases I've seen so far. I use them every game. They are the best excuse for a Repulsor by far. I really don't know what do with Agressors. I have them pre-ordered and literally don't know why I did it. lol

Meh, still not interested. Apart from the Intercessors/Hellblasters, the models are goofy or boring (the Inceptors are some of the most boring models I've ever seen. I call them the Starfish Marines) and the lore is still intolerable and the scale difference is far too egregious. Don't like the Dreads, don't like the Aggressors (I mean, they're better than Centurions, but that was a pretty low bar) and the Rievers are... ok I guess. Nothing to write home about.

So that's a big nope from me.

The big problem I have with Primaris/Deathwatch is the benefits provided by DW really don't add much to the Primaris, though we certainly benefit from more durable and cheaper bodies, pound-for-pound.  The lack of transports for Primaris remains an issue, which leads me to say that if you want to go that route you're probably better off just playing C: SM in the first place.  Though that begs the question of why you'd want to include the DW at all.  :(

Agreed Vel, probably why they allowed DW to take Primaris in the first place. Adds variety but not much more capability.

Adds variety = sells models, but maybe I'm just being cynical.  :P