Primaris Anti-Armour Options

While that's not a Primaris solution... it looks like a good idea for those that want the las, without the traditional marines.

The Repulsor can definitely take 2 sets of lascannons (confirmed) but the points get way up there.

So it seems to me that the Hellblasters with Heavy Plasma Incinerators are in fact a decent AT option. Str 8 regular and Str 9 when super charging both with a -4 to AP. I mean they are mini las cannons when super charged and they do a flat 2 damage each so they can actually be more consistent than a las cannon and 36" range while shorter than a las cannon is still pretty decent. I am assuming they will be within Guilliman's bubble (or a captain's) so overheating won't be as much of a concern.

Do we even need a squad with las or melta when we have these guys?

2 damage isn't enough. Whilst more consistent than a lascannons, generally it'll be consistently lower. Significantly so as the average d6 roll is 3.5, or nearly double the plasmas damage.

It'll chip away at tanks, but you'll need a hell of a lot to take on proper armour. 14 BS 3+ shots on average to kill a single Leman Russ, let alone a Land Raider, Repulsor or the like.

For comparisons even with the slightly worse AP, you need 9 Las shots with a longer effective range.

So it kind of is an option, but not what I'd call a super efficient one.

Having played against a tournament Razorback list, I got most mileage out of the Hellblasters. The Repulsor killed one Razorback, whiffed on another and then died, despite having a Dark Shroud nearby. The Dread had the Gatling, which I discovered to be fairly useless in Primaris armies. The Plasma does better, but is still not optimal.

I have another idea though. Since I run 6 Aggressors, I might switch my regular Captain for a Gravis Captain. UM may also give said Captain the Halo relic. Use the Dread, Captain and Aggressors to advance forward aggressively, maybe even with Guilliman instead the Captain if points allow. This will build pressure and take fire off the Repulsor. The Librarian can also cast Might of Heroes on the Dread or Repulsor. Telion with Missile or Sniper Scouts can do a few additional wounds as well.

Playing defensively worked, but not well enough to rely on it constantly. I need to try this more aggressive approach against transport lists.

Edit: For the Hellblasters I would always take the Rapid Fire option. S7-S8 seems to be the sweetspot. S9 is useless against all but T8 models, which are not very common and Heavy really cripples their shooting as well as increases their chances to overheat. S7 is not enough against T7, which is basically a Razorback spam. S8 overheated will delete a Razorback every turn and 'double out' T4 2W models on a 2+, while S7 AP4 is still good enough to kill horde-y models.

Edited by Immersturm

• 2 weeks later...

What about converting the Repulsor to be a predator annihilator proxy. Now that firing arcs don't exist all it needs is a lascannon in the stubber/gatling position on the turret and it has 4 las.

Likewise give it some las sponsons and it could be a terminus ultra standin.

What about converting the Repulsor to be a predator annihilator proxy. Now that firing arcs don't exist all it needs is a lascannon in the stubber/gatling position on the turret and it has 4 las.

Likewise give it some las sponsons and it could be a terminus ultra standin.

Terminus Ultra? Sure. Predator? No way. A Repulsor is the size of a Raider.

@ topic - I have been trying to Repulor with just the TLC (328pts setup), but with Chronus in a quad las Pred on top of the Plasma Redemptor, my 6 Hellblasters and various Mortal Wounds in the army (Scouts with Hellfire come to mind) and it has been working far better. I get mini seizures and die inside a little bit each time I include mini Marines into my Primaris army, but the rise in efficiency is undeniable.

Edited by Frater Cornelius

If yo get in the neighbourhood of 360 I think you're better off with a landraider. But of course you can't transport Primaris in it.

I'm using this for my all-Primaris army.  The loadout I'm planning on is 2 lascannons, a las-talon, Onslaught gatling cannon, Icarus rocket pod, Ironhail heavy stubber, four frag launchers and two krak launchers.  That works out to 356 points.

I probably wouldn't even use a tank but in my local area, people like to use super-heavies in regular games, and a couple dreadnoughts just weren't enough to take it out.  Even if my opponent concentrates on taking out my tank, I can get the rest of my force in position to wipe out his infantry and cavalry assets. It may not be the most competitive strategy, but if someone wants to bring a super-heavy into a "fun" game, I'm going to make sure that's all he has left on the board and then beat him on VPs. :D

I hear you. I am playing nearly pure Primaris myself, but previous to that I have taken down super heavy lists with auras + las centurions.

But what I've been doing is getting the Repulsor in close, then create a narrow firing lane for disembarked Helblasters to overcharge into the heavies.,,,it's not great but combined with the las configured Repulsor it does some work.

I don't think you can be the kill shot las preds for anti armor.  Take them with a capt and/or lieut in a spearhead and enjoy your extra CPs and rerolls....although, i don't really consider any of the tanks to be really non-primaris, so ymmv

We need more fluff info on what hardware Primaris-only Chapters use. The Codex was rather disappointing in that regard.

I don't think you can be the kill shot las preds for anti armor.  Take them with a capt and/or lieut in a spearhead and enjoy your extra CPs and rerolls....although, i don't really consider any of the tanks to be really non-primaris, so ymmv

We need more fluff info on what hardware Primaris-only Chapters use. The Codex was rather disappointing in that regard.

I just figured they had access to the standard pool of armored vehicles like any other chapter.  There was a blurb somewhere about basic chapter organization that said something about every chapter having access to various vehicles to be doled out to the companies as the captains saw fit.

Yea, in the novel they are in the midst of being fairly heavily integrated with typical marine forces. I think there is less differentiation as time goes on.

I also think they are obviously intentionally not filling that gap in the fluff to leave the door open for new units.

I'd imagine that a "Primaris-only" company wouldn't have any vehicles that they couldn't operate - since they can't fit in a Rhino, all those variants are out.

I find it absurd that they can't fit into vehicles that can convey Terminators or Centurions, but I'm sure that's a design/balance issue rather than a logical one.

So, strictly, just Repulsors and Thunderhawks?

I'd imagine that a "Primaris-only" company wouldn't have any vehicles that they couldn't operate - since they can't fit in a Rhino, all those variants are out.

I find it absurd that they can't fit into vehicles that can convey Terminators or Centurions, but I'm sure that's a design/balance issue rather than a logical one.

So, strictly, just Repulsors and Thunderhawks?

Yep. Though you're right - there's no reason (other than balance) that they can't fit into Land Raiders and Stormravens. I wonder if that'll come once they are comfortable with whatever the Primaris tax should be, whether its a size tax or not allowing Gravis etc.