Unit of the Week: Land Speeders

Acebaur

This week we'll be discussing another classic unit, the Land Speeder. In previous editions a single loadout had taken over as the primary way to run LS. That is the HB/Typhoon ML slot. It was a good choice because LS were extremely fragile and had the range to stay away from enemy units close range fire and their longer range fire was usually more dedicated to bigger vehicles. Now it's one of the only vehicles to retain it's ability to be a squadron and whilst it loses some of its firepower in the form of taking a -1 to hit when shooting and moving it's far more durable! This means that other options are returning as viable such as the Assault cannon with its new profile of 6 shots and the old MM/HF for taking down infantry and vehicles. No longer do you have to worry about pairing a weapon because you can choose different targets. 

So how will you running your Speeders in 8th? Is the Typhoon still king? Are you liking their additional durability? What loadouts have you tried that worked well?

http://www.frontlinegaming.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/LandSpeeder05-1.jpg

They got a price drop in the Codex from the Index, but they're still far too pricey to be of any real capability to me.  In terms off armaments, I mean.  The base price is ok, but I suppose the price of guns is set on an average value analysis across the breadth of the army in terms of design, so cheaper platforms like the Speeders end up costing more than they should if you give them any teeth to speak of.

I haven't actually tried Speeders yet in 8th, but I probably will in the next game with my Salamanders.

Typhoons are way to pricey now for my taste, and they suffer from -1 to hit when moving, so they're out.

Instead my speeders will probably zip around with dual heavy flamers, to make use of the Flamecraft stratagem. I'm contemplating using a unit of 3 for updraft, then just move 20" towards something that needs to die a hot fiery death. :biggrin.:

You can even panic-assault something in an attempt to survive the retaliation, then move away the next turn and shoot again thanks to Fly.

Edited by Minsc

Yeah, Heavy Flamer Speeders sound like the best options to me too, as they seem just a bit too pricey when coupled with the -1 Heavy moving penalty and more expensive weaponry (like Typhoon Missile Launchers).

And yeah, 2x 3+ S4 Attacks is not too shabby! Throw them into weak melee units like Guard Infantry, Tau Fire Warriors (even Broadsides) to force them to fall back (maybe spend Orders on the Infantry to get them to fire, instead of FRFSRF).

Edited by Kallas

And yeah, 2x 3+ S4 Attacks is not too shabby! Throw them into weak melee units like Guard Infantry, Tau Fire Warriors (even Broadsides) to force them to fall back (maybe spend Orders on the Infantry to get them to fire, instead of FRFSRF).

Wait...what?

*Checks the WS and A characteristics of Landspeeders*

:jawdrop:

Yup, land speeders in close combat is very clearly the pilot and rider fighting from the cockpit.

I took a wound off a Hive Tyrant that charged them because he failed to kill them in his Fight activation. That land speeder is getting a combat blade or something to commemorate the occasion.

Yup, land speeders in close combat is very clearly the pilot and rider fighting from the cockpit.

I took a wound off a Hive Tyrant that charged them because he failed to kill them in his Fight activation. That land speeder is getting a combat blade or something to commemorate the occasion.

Make it from a Tyranud claw!

I've had some mild success with dropping in a double melta Land speeder. It's just a bit expensive for something that hits on a 4+. I haven't seen the new cost for them in the codex yet but a points reduction will be very welcome.