Space Wolves Thunderhawk Modelling Help

Jackalwolf

So I took the plunge and bought the big bird and going to model it as soon as August arrives.

My main issue is the following: wolfyfing it. There are some amazing samples of the decorations of the Stomwolf kit working brilliantly in a THawk:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-FhU-k54fJzc/VcoWcfwfG2I/AAAAAAAACz8/UTezaxq9NZA/s1600/kopia%2B_SAM1153.JPG.jpg

Unfortunately, most of the decorations make me thing how would they survive atmospheric entry.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-9fHy4V3K778/VFS2MnUexRI/AAAAAAAAHwY/iCsvlT9o3Z4/s1600/Stormfang-Gunship.jpg

Whilst I could assume chains are made of adamantium and bone and tooth are from Fenris fauna which are harder than that anyway... flame proof pelts is a bit much.

What would you do guys? Suspension of belief? Just create a flame proof fenris fauna beast in my lore? Don't use pelts at all?

Some sort of skull mounted on the prow and possibly a whole lot of knotwork might be a wise decision. You could use plasticard to give it more depth as well.

Seconding the focus on knotwork. FW took that approach for their stormbird illustrations (a not very good pic here), though they do that for most of their vehicles anyway. Big blocks of secondary colour, lines of knotwork, company icons. Pack markings like those on the Stormwolf and Stormfang engines could work as well.

Otherwise skulls or icons like that shield with pelts and bones might work better if painted as bronze/iron relief sculpture rather than actual fur, bone or ... plasteel, I guess. Keeps the look and makes full use of the nicer bits but makes them look like something that could survive a fast drop from orbit.

I would argue … there are soooo many things about most Space Marines (and esp. Space Wolves) that don't make sense at all, if you try to test them against a real reality. Sure you may ask question like these, but you don't ask tons of questions which are similar and that's because of the willing suspension of disbelieve. That's the deal: We don't doubt everything, and Games Workshop and the Black Library tell us cool stories and give us great minis.

And on the other Hand we know only soooo little things about witchcraft and technology of the 41st Millennium for sure. There could be a special kind varnish, that makes fure flame proof. Or special fenrisian runes of protection. Or the machinespirit (sic!) has a way to protect it. There could be a thousand ways how a fur could survive an orbital entry.

I think, it really is about aesthetics … if you like fur on you Gunship, add it. If you like a cleaner look, skip it. :happy.:

And personally I thought, that's the point in playing Space Wolves (or White Scars): to glue fur on everything! :wink:

Agree with FPS, knotwork would be cool

Strangely enough Inferno states that 30K wolves didnt decorate their crafts much as they dd not overly like them, so it was kept fairly minimal

Thanks for the input guys. 

I'd imagine pelts and such would be removed for reentry and placed again once in orbit for protracted campaigns, for swift ones they are probably not attached in the first place.

That I hadn't even thought of and makes :cuss-loads of sense!

I'll just do whatever looks coolest!

Something I have recently discovered is bluestuff. It's an easy way of making molds of things, you heat it up (in a cup of boiling water), press it onto what ever you want to copy, let it cool down and then peal it off. Instant mold, just press greenstuff into the bit you want and let it cure. You can take all the details you want and add them where ever you want them. I'm using it alot for adding details to vehicles, I have taken bits from the stormwolf hull and added it my Spartan and landraiders. You could add loads of raised knotwork and wolf iconography to your Thunderhawk no problem.

Here's a link to eBay if you want to go look at it...

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Blue-Stuff-4-bars-Make-an-instant-mold-New-Material-Warhammer-40k-Reborn-/281151002352?hash=item4175e7d6f0%3Ag%3AywAAAOSwKrhVW0y1&_trkparms=pageci%253Ade4e46ca-74f9-11e7-922d-74dbd18095d1%257Cparentrq%253A926d3a5e15d0aa12b3e2524dfffae81e%257Ciid%253A3