Help with marks of amour used

Jofus

I came across a table a while back that showed which legions used which marks and around what time period of the HH and how common they were.  I can't find it anymore and was wondering if anyone knows were I can find it again.  

Mk 2 all legions

Mk 3 common among IH,IW and IF

Mk4 all legions but more in traitor aligned legions and IH (foolish Horus we are the strong iron)

Mk5 unofficial armour mark drop site legions and blackshields

Mk6 exclusive to RG and AL pre heresy

Mk7 siege of terra loyalists only

And then there is many variant mks exclusive to individual legions

Thanks both of you helped.  I also have one move question that is a little more on the modeling side, for traitor legions how accepted is it to mix in bits from the chaos kits?  I can not think of any threads here where I have seen them used, I am sure they are here.

Go for it, Later the Heresy gets, the more things will turn out vicious and brutal.

Sons of Horus are a prime example, going from a light pale green to the Dark Green and pretty much draping themselves in spikes, Cthonian kill sigils, kill tallys and skulls

Edited by Warsmith Kroeger

Sorry for the nitpicking, but this table doesn't seem to account for the legion specific patterns that were also developed during the crusade.  The Ultramarines had a Praetor pattern (pre-heresy candidate for MK5 armor status), the dark angels had their own pattern based off the mk-2, and the Sons of Horus had their own sub-patterns of armor (ref HH: Retribution i think).

Granted, these could always be accounted for as  sub pattern of armor than full armor mark, but it is something to consider.

The XXth Legion was, by the time of the heresy, almost completely through with transitioning from the Mk II / III crusade/iron battleplate to the Mk IV Maximus, a process most legions was only half-way through at the time. In addition to this the Legion had entered a secondary phase replacing the Maximus with their own variant of the Mk VI Corvus.

A point of intrest is that not only had the XXth a far greater number of Mk VI suits than any other legion, even the Raven guard, they were also not from Mars as all other Mk VI but rather from the Legions own hidden forges.

During the Martian MkVI project the XXth had infiltrated and "borrowed" the project data and using the Martian warplate as a basis they created their own superior version of the MkVI for their own exclusive use.

This is also the case for other essential warmaterial, throughout HH:3 Extermination the book makes multiple references to the fact that the numbers of warriors and laterst armaments displayed on the battlefields during the heresy does not add up to the central records, as the legion deployed vast numbers of mk VI (wich they had not been issued), sicarian variant tanks, Tartaros-pattern warplate, Leviathan dreadnoughts and many other examples of the latest cutting-edge tech avalible to the Legions. HH:3 also numbers the Legion at roughly 180.000 warriors at the start of the heresy, making them one of the most numerous legions at the time.

. HH:3 also numbers the Legion at roughly 180.000 warriors at the start of the heresy, making them one of the most numerous legions at the time.

That is only if you take the information presented at face value and even HH:3 states that is an upper estimate.  Alpha legion intentionally obfuscated alot of information about their own records.  This includes #s of marines.  I am not arguing they didn't have Mk VI armor or advanced material, but the 180,000 warriors in the Alpha legion is not a number that I would believe.  But that is also off topic from the original post.

Thanks both of you helped. I also have one move question that is a little more on the modeling side, for traitor legions how accepted is it to mix in bits from the chaos kits? I can not think of any threads here where I have seen them used, I am sure they are here.

The answer to your question ist hidden in your question. ;)

There is a reason why you seldom see CSM bitz in the different projects...

Thanks both of you helped.  I also have one move question that is a little more on the modeling side, for traitor legions how accepted is it to mix in bits from the chaos kits?  I can not think of any threads here where I have seen them used, I am sure they are here.

Aside from the 40k CSM backpacks (seen in HH Book 1, I think), Chaos bits only start making sense after your legion has adopted the 8-pointed star as a symbol.  For most of the Iron Warriors, Night Lords, and Alpha Legion, that might not have happened at all during the Heresy.  For Death Guard, only Typhon's contingent would have it prior to reaching the Solar System.  It should be early on for the Word Bearers and possibly the Emperor's Children and then Sons of Horus.  Not sure about the Thousand Sons and World Eaters.

Greetings brother Jofus, I believe the table you are referencing is the one below:

FB_IMG_1488990734355.jpg

I thought that the loyalists were the ones that got Mk VI before the battle of Terra whenever Dorn evacuated them from Mars, yet none of the loyalists have that in the chart?

Presumably that's mk IV or VII. Makes more sense to me if it's the former, though, and the latter is then created on Terra.

No no, I remember it specifically being Mk VI. And that was one of the lore reasons why chaos didn't have Mk VI armor.

I thought the Imperial Fists gave the bulk of the recovered Mk VI suits to Corax in Deliverance Lost.

The Raven Guard did get a huge amount and a large resupply at Terra, the Alpha Legion were producing it, it seems from the moment it was released for testing within the Legions prior to going out in mass. It could be the case the testing MK could still be in use within the Legions, or the leftover from Dorn's resupply of the RG were distributed on contact with other Legions.

Presumably that's mk IV or VII. Makes more sense to me if it's the former, though, and the latter is then created on Terra.

No no, I remember it specifically being Mk VI. And that was one of the lore reasons why chaos didn't have Mk VI armor.

Ah, Ok