Alpharius Omegon... Does anyone else hate this?

Kaldoth

The reason why helping chaos win to destroy chaos is dumb is that there's literally no point to it.  If chaos doesn't win without the help then it wasn't necessary.  And if chaos does win without the help, then it was pointless.  I hate hate HATE that GW took one of the cooler chaos subfactions and made them actually anti-chaos.  Imagine if we got fluff tomorrow that the Imperial Fists were secretly anti-imperium, had been the whole time, and they were given some convoluted BS excuse why they were and are and will remain an imperial faction even though they're actually the most dedicated of anyone to the imperium's destruction.  It would be just as terrible and nonsensical.

Isn't the whole thing about Chaos needed to win by a small margin right now (the HH) to cause certain events in the future to happen that leads to the desired outcome eventually.

Stopping the HH would merely cause Chaos to try again later with disastrous results. Horus winning by to large a margin would also have disastrous results.

Remember the cabal is working off Eldar visions so actions now are designed to direct events far into the future.

It's less "burn down the village to save it" and more "the village is going to be burned. Villagers will survive if we manage the burning, this proves our approach of burning down houses is justified and useful, we like burning houses anyway, and the current mayor's approach isn't going to stop fires."

I really dislike it.  I liked the original Alpha Legion concept, bland as it might have been, that as the youngest legion they pushed themselves harder to show they were just as good as their elder brothers, and as a result Alpharius became close to Horus since he looked up to Horus more than the Emperor and that's how he was swayed.  I don't mind the cultist uprising thing, that was cool, but when they went to the whole "are they loyal or not who knows maybe both" it became a silly meme with little or no substance, and adding a twin made it more lame IMHO, coupled with the whole "I am Alpharius" meme.

Like, Alpha Legion stuff is really cool, but the fluff change turned them into little more than a running joke.

but when they went to the whole "are they loyal or not who knows maybe both" it became a silly meme with little or no substance

You do realize, I hope, that this question was hinted at from the very beginning?  Index Astartes IV tells us that the Alpha Legion's battle-cry is "For the Emperor!"  You can't cherry-pick.

but when they went to the whole "are they loyal or not who knows maybe both" it became a silly meme with little or no substance

You do realize, I hope, that this question was hinted at from the very beginning?  Index Astartes IV tells us that the Alpha Legion's battle-cry is "For the Emperor!"  You can't cherry-pick.

I'm talking about before Index Astartes ;) 

And even Index Astartes told us their warcries were meant to mock and confuse imperials while giving a completely different reason for their betrayal.

And even Index Astartes told us their warcries were meant to mock and confuse imperials while giving a completely different reason for their betrayal.

That rationalization is questionable since the article is written in character from the imperial perspective. They wouldnt know the truth.

What I meant is that nobody questioned the AL's allegiance based on that snippet of fluff before "Legion" came out.

yeah but no one questioned the lions loyalty, is corax invisible, did magnus deserve it, was the emperor just a big douche etc etc before certain HH books came out either. 

the whole thing with the fluff we had previously on the HH was that it was 10k years old and no one knew what was truth or fiction, that was the point. the HH books, rightly or wrongly set out to give us a new take on something we thought we knew. 

I thought everyone questioned the lions loyalty before the heresy books

The heresy books for me tell me that dark angels are loyal, dicks but loyal, and the joke that they are traitors is just that, a joke

Another area where the HH series fluff changes and/or additions have been terrible, imo.  The Dark Angels deep sense of shame and obsession with stamping out evidence of their sins had a lot more pathos when there was still the possibility that their sins were real and their shame was warranted.

Edited by malisteen