Chaos codex release date 8/5/17

Not to mention the Legion tactics, stratagems, relics, warlord traits....yeah basically no reason not to buy it if you plan to play with CSM anytime soon. :D

Blurb says 45 datasheets, does that cover everything?

No.  By my count, the HA section of the index has 47 datasheets, and that doesn't count the expected new sheet for Exalted Champions.  Either some things are getting truncated (perhaps the daemonic steeds will be upgrades instead of separate dataslates), or some things are getting left out entirely (perhaps rubric & plague marines are being made cult-legion exclusive, or perhaps cypher & the fallen will be dropped from the basic CSM book - iirc they aren't in the vanilla marines codex, either).  Or maybe some combination of the two.

If daemonic steeds are rolled into the parent sheet, that cuts /seven/ entries from the book, so even with exalted champions there would still be four more new sheets.  If just the rubrics & plagues or just cypher and the fallen are removed, there would still need to be at least one more sheet dropped to account for exalted champions.  If all four of the rubrics, plagues, cypher, and the fallen are dropped, that would open up space for the exalted champion with one sheet left over - perhaps the exalted might get two sheets?  Champion on his own and champion with a bike or jump pack, maybe?  With no existing model, and no new models expected, that seems unlikely.

I don't know how exactly we're starting with 47 sheets, probably adding one, and ending up at 45.  Something is definitely up, though.

Edited by malisteen

I can't imagine they'd be dropped altogether, the question is whether they'll stay as entirely separate dataslates, or go back to being wargear that you buy within the lord or sorcerer's entry.

Chaplain, Librarian and Techmarines all lost their Bike option in C:SM (you can still use their Index datasheet for those options according to a FAQ tho).

Yet captains kept their bikes, despite not having a current model, either?  Huh.  Well, in that case, I could see the steeds being dropped altogether, as none of them have official models right now - apart from discs, but even then only in the 'exalted sorcerer' kit, which is technically a TS exclusive unit.

But even then, that still doesn't come out to the right number of units.  Again, -7 for steeds, +1 for exalted champion, still leaves us 4 sheets shy of 45, with nothing else new expected.

If just the sorcerer loses their steeds... that would be -3, which would actually fit to 45 sheets after you add the exalted champion.  Though that would leave in the fallen and Cypher, and I don't really expect them to appear in this book.

I do expect them to be in that book. Where else should they be.

Living in the indeces until the Fallen get their own codex, one that could be introduced any time since they don't need their own models.

I expect some point changes.... almost certainly I expect Abaddon to go down in points (Calgar did).

Obliterators will change... I almost guarantee it. Either in points or some ability tweak.

Also some things are probably disappearing. Some of the older options from the Index , and perhaps the super heavy will not make it in.

Edited by Prot

Hah, that's very much possible but I doubt it. They probably just get the Renegade Legion keyword and that's it. :biggrin.:

No, they won't get any legion keyword, renegade or otherwise, because they're imperial units.  Same way they didn't get chapter keywords in the loyalist book because they're chaos units.  Their entire gimmick is that they're a joint imperial/chaos group, but that gimmick also means they don't really belong in either the generic SM codex or the generic CSM codex.

I very much doubt that they'll be in this book at all.

Edited by malisteen

Plot twist : They will be in the V8 Dark Angel Codex split up in two : "loyalist" vs "Cypher's fallen". Well at least that would be the best imho. 

Well i'm waiting for my Emperor's Children Legion Tactics. Dunno what it could be tho, as CT aren't about a particular unit or weapon (that's more on the new Chapter specific stratagem).

Best guess would be the come back of Combat drug, would be even better as the day of random roll are over.  

If they were imperial units they would've been in one of the imperial indexes. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If they are imperial units they'll have the 'Imperium" faction keyword, which they do.

If they were imperial units they would've been in one of the imperial indexes. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If they are imperial units they'll have the 'Imperium" faction keyword, which they do.

I was obviously joking... :D

Although I expected to be wrong and for Grey Knights to come out first, August 5th pre-order was my hope for a CSM codex. It makes sense to me that they are sating the ravening masses by releasing a book with a broader range of sub-factions before something more niche like GK or DG. Although I think it was a forgone conclusion that DG would be the fourth in line since it will coincide with a model release.

After seeing the chapter specific stuff from the SM codex and with Traitor Legions still fresh in my mind, I'm pretty hyped for this new book.

If August 5th really is the date, they better start leaking stuff soon. 8 Legions barely fits till 5th when they start releasing articles tomorrow. ^^

I'm also hype for this codex.  While I haven't been able to play much, I've enjoyed 8th edition so far, and I think the unit design for chaos, with a few lackluster exceptions, has been pretty good.  I'd love to get a lieutenant type character, I can't wait for daemon weapons, I'm eager to see what they do with the Black Legion traits.  I'm just excited all round.

Aye. Even if I'm very unlikely to start my Slaanesh warband anytime soon due super outdated modelrange, I'm still very hyped to see what GW is about to give us rules-wise! Who knows, maybe I just start a Daemon-Engine pack while I'm waiting for updated infantry models. :D

Someone posted this on Facebook, tough to read but...

http://i.imgur.com/P827PZ2.jpg

3 CP to have a unit attack again at the end of the combat phase is one thing I could read. Veterans of the Long War is a different stratagem that appears to add +1 to wound.

Edited by Juggernut