Chaos codex release date 8/5/17

So the FAQ is out, good news for all WE and EC players, get your cult troops back! However the wording on WE and EC taking other marks has also been cleared up, there's now no wiggle room so WE is all khorne keyword and EC is all slaanesh, so no psykers for WE. Overall I'm happy with that mainly because it's a fluffy change.

Other than that not much changed. Daemon princes now get legion traits as well which is cool in the case of some legions like AL and renegades, pretty irrelevant for others like BL and WB.

Those infiltrating daemon princes and Levi Dreads. Do you think they paint the dreads grey and pretend they're statues?

So the FAQ is out, good news for all WE and EC players, get your cult troops back! However the wording on WE and EC taking other marks has also been cleared up, there's now no wiggle room so WE is all khorne keyword and EC is all slaanesh, so no psykers for WE. Overall I'm happy with that mainly because it's a fluffy change.

Other than that not much changed. Daemon princes now get legion traits as well which is cool in the case of some legions like AL and renegades, pretty irrelevant for others like BL and WB.

Cult troops are back?? They never left! 

I notice GW didn't clarify anything for Plague Marines or Rubric Marines.. I guess DG and TS are screwed till the get their codex.. right, guy? :wink:

DG and TS aren't part of CSM. It's a CSM FAQ/Errata that clarifies things for the CSM Codex. Nothing changed for DG and TS, they still use the Index until they get their own Codex.

As in the World Eater topic, whatever the reason was, it's cleared up now.
Personally I do think that both Death Guard and Thousand Sons are part of Chaos Space Marines aswell however they will have their own set of rules and if we look at how Legion Traits for example work it doesn't really matter wether or not you have your own Codex in terms of building armies. The prime reason for this is that Games Workshop has left us with Imperium, Chaos and Xenos to work with. We know DG and TS are part of Chaos and as such you can in fact create an army with their Codex next to that of Codex Chaos Space Marines. 

This type of design also directly comes from Age of Sigmar again where we have to option to choose an army Keyword and focus on it as much as we see fit. It's different from the days of Warhammer Fantasy and 7th ed Warhammer 40K where a Codex was the faction. Those borders in terms of narrative never where that clear and this is the design advantage they have taken now aswell.

The only thing I do think is very important to keep in mind for Tournament and Tournament players is that TOs will have to make their own rules to inform players about what they can and cannot do. However the beauty of these updates remains that GW really tries to design as balanced as possible which in the end means that very few units are actually much stronger as others for the same cost.

Chaos as a faction, CSM aswell, just suffers from one design weakness in my opinion and that is that of the design saturation we have. Meaning we simply said have too many units acting the same which means that even the slightest difference in design will make them 'great' or 'useless'. This boundry is only kept there as long as those units indeed serve the same purposes. I feel this is also why a good competitive CSM player will use Imperial Armour supplements a lot because Space Marines and their chaotified design do not suffer from this same design saturation the way we do. Meaning they actually have different Land Raiders for different roles, Dreadclaws/Droppods and now even have the option to go Primaris or not.
All we can continue to hope for is that one day CSM will recieve the same kind of love again. Luckily Forge World does care.

I did not understand the errata on the Sergent equipment, can someone explain the change plz ?

It said that you had two options from one list (melee weapons and pistols) or one of the other (combi weapons).

It's now clearified that you can have two options from the lists, so you can have a melee weapon and a combi weapon change.

What it said:

Strange.jpg

The "Alternatively,..." sentence now says: "‘One of the champion’s weapons can be chosen from the following list:"

Which leads to us having two options, one of which being the Combi/rangedweapon set instead of having two OR one option.

Edited by Commissar K.

OOoohh, so i could add melee weapon to my champ with combi weapon. That's great, if only i add point left now than some cultist turn back into Noise marine in my list ^^ Thx. 

Exactly, it's pretty good for everybody.

Combi-Flamers are a serious consideration for any Marine unit that expects to have to deal with a horde.

Combi Melta and Plasma are amazing for any unit with the intention to remove multiwounded units.

Beyond just the in game benefits I'm quite pleased that it is once again legal for a champion to have a combi weapon and a power weapon so that all those DV models plus other stuff I've converted doesn't just have a useless combi weapon hanging on its back! Combi plasma plus a cheap power weapon might be a more usual option for me now on a champion. Still doesn't help all those chosen I converted up to have chainswords, pistols and bolters, but can't ask for everything in one update.

As in the World Eater topic, whatever the reason was, it's cleared up now.

Personally I do think that both Death Guard and Thousand Sons are part of Chaos Space Marines aswell however they will have their own set of rules and if we look at how Legion Traits for example work it doesn't really matter wether or not you have your own Codex in terms of building armies. The prime reason for this is that Games Workshop has left us with Imperium, Chaos and Xenos to work with. We know DG and TS are part of Chaos and as such you can in fact create an army with their Codex next to that of Codex Chaos Space Marines. 

Part of Chaos, yes. Part of Heretic Astartes, yes. Part of CSM, no.

It's the same as it's always been with Blood Angels etc. They also aren't part of C:SM. They are their own thing that's completely seperate from the Marines in the other books.

Part of Chaos, yes. Part of Heretic Astartes, yes. Part of CSM, no.

It's the same as it's always been with Blood Angels etc. They also aren't part of C:SM. They are their own thing that's completely seperate from the Marines in the other books.

Perhaps, at this point this is still an assumption as the Codex leaves out Death Guard and Thousand Sons because they will have their rules covered in their own Codex. I deem it very likely that they too will have Despoilers of the Galaxy but a build in Legion Trait. Shadowy Allies will also be available to them as this rule is actually a rule attached to Fallen units and Fabius Bile (much like Berzerker Horde was in the Index). I completely get that Blood Angles arn't part of Codex Space Marines but it also is not confirmed that they are not 'Space Marines' or furthermore will not be treated as such.

What I am saying is that the relevancy of their Codex origin matters very little in this edition. The only true reason to stick to any particular Legion is because of Legion Traits and if you happen to have one you don't like I'd strongly consider not to bother with that at all. Some Legion Traits arn't too exciting for me. The Strategems most certainly are but those are not restrictive like the Legion Traits at all for example. "Chaos Space Marines" in itself isn't even a Keyword or something in particular, all it says in the Codex is that it's a shorthand term for particular Datasheets with particular Keywords.

Cheers,

That's a pretty nice errata on the sarge gear. Means I can power my raptors up a bit more.

Yeah, I'm happy about it.  I've got other stuff to work on first - finishing my defiler, some terminators I have coming in the mail, but I'll be converting some new unit champions for my CSMs after that thanks to this ruling.  I'm thinking combi-plasmaguns from evil craft, plus sheathed swords from the berzerker sprues to represent power swords.  And my 'zerker champ can go back to being wysiwyg with his power fist and combi melta.

Now if only they'd make my chosen wysiwyg again by giving them back their ubergrit....

That's a pretty nice errata on the sarge gear. Means I can power my raptors up a bit more.

Yeah, I'm happy about it.  I've got other stuff to work on first - finishing my defiler, some terminators I have coming in the mail, but I'll be converting some new unit champions for my CSMs after that thanks to this ruling.  I'm thinking combi-plasmaguns from evil craft, plus sheathed swords from the berzerker sprues to represent power swords.  And my 'zerker champ can go back to being wysiwyg with his power fist and combi melta.

Now if only they'd make my chosen wysiwyg again by giving them back their ubergrit....

I was already planning to do combi plasma champs but now I can put a free chainsword on the champ and get another attack, or a cheap power weapon to make the unit slightly more threatening in CC. It's a nice change.

I was already planning to do combi plasma champs but now I can put a free chainsword on the champ and get another attack, or a cheap power weapon to make the unit slightly more threatening in CC. It's a nice change.

They just need to let our CSMs take a chainsword and Bolter. ^_^

They just need to let our CSMs take a chainsword and Bolter. :happy.:

That would be nice, but I'm pretty happy with my Berzerker champ being able to take both a power fist and a combi-flamer.

Interestingly, if I am reading it correctly, you don't need to have a detatchment of just WE or EC units to get cult units as troops as they are unit rules now instead of army. So malific lords work fine for the filling out the HQ requirements in a battalion detatchment.

Hm seems you are right. So if someone doesn't care about Legion specific stuff they can just play a mixed Chaos or mixed Heretic Astartes army and take WE Berzerker and EC Noise Marines as troop choices.

That's kinda dirty lol

Edited by sfPanzer

Interestingly, if I am reading it correctly, you don't need to have a detatchment of just WE or EC units to get cult units as troops as they are unit rules now instead of army. So malific lords work fine for the filling out the HQ requirements in a battalion detatchment.

Hm seems you are right. So if someone doesn't care about Legion specific stuff they can just play a mixed Chaos or mixed Heretic Astartes army and take WE Berzerker and EC Noise Marines as troop choices.

That's kinda dirty lol

I'm NL, so thanks for the compliment. Plus, it's only really dirty if mom is watching.