Hey guys; Scouts n stuff

greatcrusade08

Hi guys.

Some of the oldies here may remember me, I try to pop by every now and then.

I have been flitting with 40k for the last couple years, not really playing much.

but ive hit the new edition and am loving it, and whats better all my gaming circle now plays again.

So im back.

I had built a tau army for this edition, but im really liking the new vehicle rules, that I wanted to look at the land speeder storm lists ive always yearned to do..

So im looking to the experts for advice and help.

If I commit to this project it will be ultramarines, so ive posted here to see what character buffs and rules can help in building this themed army project.

ill be popping down my LGS today to grab the SM index, but in the mean time if you guys have any ideas for scout related combos, id be glad to hear them.

Cheers guys.

woah, didn't know that, thanks dude.

hey your cambs local, any chance weve met?

Possible in passing, Cambridge is my local GW but to be honest I don't tend to stop in and game or anything, just nip in for paints and stuff like that on the way to/from work!

Ah right, the band's getting back together!

Good to see you again, mate.

8th is good fun. Scouts did get a boost of sorts in the following:

- Still cheap as chips compared to other choices.

- Vehicles are more survivable (Storms)

- Sniper Rifles are pretty good at hurting characters especially with Telion. Mortal Wounds for the win.

- The Strategums are cool. I imagine Scouts would enjoy the Hellfire one :wink:

- Shot Guns are S5 up close now. Yum.

- Everything hurts in large amounts. Bolters are good again!

- Combi-weapons are great. They can be fired every turn now, giving your Sergeants a decent amount of killing power.

Let us know what you got planned and your experiences. :smile.:

Good to be back

yeah I just thumbed through the index at GW and a little bit of wee come out.

This is going to be fun.

combi-weapons are ace, I missed that.

anyone know if scout bikes are still a thing?

im thinking maybe 4 or 5 storm teams with melta, and a shed load of bolter and sniper scouts with cloaks and telion.. points depending maybe a couple storm talons, could even pull a raven out and fill it with scouts

GC08 is back?! Dude, I remember you. You're famous. No doubt, once you get your Scouts for 8th treatise out, it will be the gold standard for tactical discussion.

No pressure at all :lol:

Welcome back, brother.

Scouts are the bees knees. A CCW nets you +1A, or shotguns give S5 at half range, snipers can always pick out characters, and combiweapons are always fun.

Add to that you infiltrate only >9" now, and everything is awesome. I've slowly been building up my scout force because of you.

Scout bikers are still a thing. Their cluster mines are different; now, when they leave a combat you can spend CP and dish out mortal wounds, instead of relying on terrain.

Scouts are a really good choice still. Still one of my faves just because cost meets efficiency with these guys, and the fact nearly all builds are viable and the ability to deploy outside your zone helps a lot with some alpha strike armies.

GC08 is back?! Dude, I remember you. You're famous. No doubt, once you get your Scouts for 8th treatise out, it will be the gold standard for tactical discussion.

No pressure at all :laugh.:

haha no pressure indeed.

Feeling the love here guys, thanks all, definitely glad to be back

hmm so book in hand i have the following ideas already

first of all is chapter tactics, i intend to run as ultramarines, in order to use Teliion, keep him as HQ choice and run more boots on the ground, however thier are other choices:

white scars extra move and old hit and run rule is great.

raven guard are harder to hit at range, great for snipers.

but my favourite for the build i had in mind is salamanders, each unit can reroll a failed hit and failed wound roll each turn, perfect for storms and combi weapons for 5 man squads.

chink in my plans though, as im reading the book and typing this it appears LSS can no longer upgrade to better weapons, it has a heavy bolter and cerberus lanuchers and no option to change them.. This sucks

scout bikes can take upto 9?? (why not 10, weird), they have 2 wounds and excellent move, great if using white scars chapter tactics

however combat tactics can be used to split them into three units of three, novel idea.

they are very good becuase unlike regular scouts, come standard with shotgun and combat knife aswell as the bikes bolters (and grenade launchers), gives them some higher S shooting up close, and the extra attacks from the blade.

Scout squads combat squads rule has changed from when i last played, you can combat squad *before* deployment, so i can take units of ten and put 5 with bolters as battlefield chaff and 4 shotguns and a sergeant in a storm. great if your playing power rating games, saves you points.

The rules allowing split fire means ill be taking a ML in every unit, spreading the love vs armour.

telion and snipers combo is ace, again a 2+ ML in that unit would be nice.

at 2k points i could run the following horde list.

Telion

10 snipers with camo and ML

6 x LSS

6 x 5 man 'storm squads' of shotguns and combi melta

5 x 10 man scouts squads with bolter

9 scout bikes with power fist

first thought, it really lacks anti armour, but thats always been an issue.

a second list i could run would be all LSS teams and a couple stormtalons as a themed first strike list, wouldnt be as boring as the one above either.

I think if you're going all Scouts, then you probably could do with more Scout bikers. A missile launcher in most units.

You'll want a Heavy bolter so you can use the Hellfire strategum too.

I actually don't think the list above lacks too much armour. Plinking away wounds is painful to experience and 5 combi meltas will hurt most opponents. Never underestimate the speed of 40K armies now.

yeah ive written lots of lists overnight.

Heres one with more bikes, only 5 storms teams though

telion

10 scouts
-sniper
-ML
-camo cloaks

land speeder storm
5 scouts
-combi melta
-shotguns

land speeder storm
5 scouts
-combi melta
-shotguns

land speeder storm
5 scouts
-combi melta
-shotguns

land speeder storm
5 scouts
-combi melta 
-shotguns

land speeder storm
5 scouts
-combi melta
-shotguns

9 scout bikes

9 scout bikes

10 scouts
-bolter
-ML

10 scouts
-bolter
-ML

10 scouts
-bolter
-HB

10 scouts
-bolter
-HB

im not even upgrading the bikes, 4 bolter shots each at half range is epic

It is indeed. Though a couple Krak grenades do D3 damage which is not to be underestimated.

Hmm personally I'd have more missile launchers. The heavy bolter squads are good at 10 man but I'd try and get a couple of those missile launcher squads into 5 man units that means you can have more heavy weapons.

Morning chaps

I've a large order going in soon to my LGS and I can start rolling out my scouts again.

in the mean time ive been thinking about combinations and tactics to get the most out of them.

Heres what I have so far, if you can think of anything ive missed or haven't got right, please let me know.

I don't have the main rule book yet, so im missing a few specifics.

Land speeder storms:

-No change of main weapon under new codex, the HB and Cerberus launchers are both heavy, so -1 to shoot when moving, and you want them moving.

Treat shooting weapons as a bonus if they hit, don't rely on them.

-"drive by" style play, create a nuisance, force your opponent to deal with them.

Set up the storm "teams" with all shotguns, sergeants can have both a shotgun and a combi weapon and fire both. So two S5 shotgun shots at close range, 2 bolter shots (-1 to hit) and a combi melta (always go melta on these IMO) from one model is tasty.

-"flying pin", use them to assault enemy vehicles to "pin" them into place. assuming you survive overwatch and the couple close combat grind attacks (should with 7 wounds) the enemy vehicle has no choice but to fall back next turn, and cannot fire their weapons.

-surround enemy transports to force the destruction of the unit inside once the transport dies, will probably take the combined units of two storms and their occupants, harder to pull off against a competent player, but worth looking at.

Telion/snipers

-should always take a unit to kill enemy characters and reduce buffs, Telion gives the snipers +1 to hit. Combine this with a ML for a 2+ to hit D6 wounds weapon OR look at flakk missile and hellfire shells stratagems. the 2+(3+ for flakk) to hit makes the most of the stratagems which require a hit roll to do D3 mortal wounds.

Ultramarines can also benefit from the chapter tactics to get CPs back on a 5+

Scout bikes

-the firebase units, 9 of these guys are putting out 54 shots at 12" and have two attacks each in combat, put as many of these guys out as possible.

-sergeant can also have shotgun and combi weapon, giving him 8 shots plus the combi (whatever you want on these guys, but melta is always my fall back)

Ultramarines can fall back from combat and still fire (at -1), this in combination with the cluster mines stratagem can be very useful.

-if you take a space marine captain on bike and give him the chapter master stratagem, you can reroll all the hits on units within 6", pair him with two units of scout bikes, and those 54 shots are getting a very tasty buff, plus if they fall back, rerolling hits will offset the -1 very well.. and rerolling a melta shot can be a game changer at the right time

combat squads

-5 bolter scouts with ML, is a cheap way to get a heavy weapon on the board, in power level games, upping the storm teams to 10 men saves points and you can combat squad pre game. In regular points matches, take them as separate units at no extra cost for the sergeant upgrade (better ld)

use infiltrating scouts and land speeder storm units as a nuisance, to attract attention away from your bikes, the combination of chapter master and bikes makes them very deadly to most units. Use the storm teams to target vehicles and especially transports, whilst sniping characters.

That's a really big grey area.

The FAQ clearly says that the codex takes precedence. units not present in codexes can be taken from the index, but im not convinced it means that unit upgrades are included in that.

ill put an email into GW

Archived