Hey guys; Scouts n stuff

greatcrusade08

Scouts just took a hard nerf. Infiltrating is now 9" from enemy AND 9" from enemy DZ.

And since the deployment zones are so huge, Infiltrate is almost useless now. It's like they can deploy 3" further than the rest of your army, most of the time.  and they don't even get to set up after everyone else like they used to.

Thanks dood, really excited to be back for this edition.

ive mustered almost enough minis for the list I posted on page two, I have the 4 storms and 18 scout bikes, telion and a smattering of scouts, just ordered the bike for my captain conversion and have a few more infantry coming.

Ive just taken on some painting commissions, so it will shorten my time for this for the next few weeks, but im hoping to have some WIP pics in the next week or so of what ive done thus far

Edit:

Haha Brother Tual, the legend is still here. Long time buddy, hope your well.

Yeah these little scouts have a hold on me, has to be done :teehee:

actually whilst im posting this afternoon. Ive been hearing a lot about first turn charges in this edition.

Whilst its possible for scouts they are likely to bounce against must dangerous enemies.

What armies utilise first turn charges in a big way? are they all that common?

for me defending that is easy, I have 4 units of 5 scouts to place at 9" intervals

I am doing very well. I have been playing alot of warmachine since 5th ed. Im not bored of warmachine but a recent move makes it very hard to get a game in without a 250km drive each way.

Im reviving my GK collection first as there is alot of unfinished projects there and very little to buy. Half of the UM dex I dont even rocognise.

How are you travelling? Family all ok?

Congrats mate. I have the pigeon pair. Everytime I sit down to hobby their scrap books come out and my relatively expensive paints become rainbows and a mixed brown colour in the pots... have kids... ot would be fun they say... ha! Wouldnt have it any other way.

Back on topic.. looking at the codex and what the internet thinks, I can see some real viability in your 10th co as a core - the changes to BS, the wound chart and armour saves have all been great for scout creep.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive been meaning to take some WIP pics of my guys, but been preoccupied finishing off other projects.

Ill get some done soon.

The discussion point I want to raise is detachments, im trying to figure the best way to get more CP on the board that's troops heavy. Atm im stuck with 6.

3 for all one faction and 3 for the detachment..

When the table is usually divided evenly down the middle, and each half is a deployment zone, you don't need Scouts to pull that off.  If there was still a large "no-man's land" in standard deployments, or if Scouts could set up/reposition last, it might be more meaningful.

How about this for a 9 CP list?

Batallion 1

sergeant telion [75]

lieutenant [63]

10 scouts [186]
-camo cloaks
-sniper rifles
-HB

5 scouts [80]
-missile launcher
-sergeant bolter/shotgun

5 scouts [80]
-missile launcher
-sergeant bolter/shotgun

5 scouts [80]
-missile launcher
-sergeant bolter/shotgun

5 scouts [55]
-sergeant bolter/shotgun

Batallion 2

captain on bike [100]
-teeth of terra

lieutenant [85]
-jump pack
-plasma pistol

9 scout bikes [244]
-sergeant with combi-melta/shotgun

9 scout bikes [244]

5 scouts [74]
-shotguns
Land speeder storm [102]
-multimelta

5 scouts [74]
-shotguns
Land speeder storm [102]
-multimelta

5 scouts [74]
-shotguns
Land speeder storm [102]
-multimelta

5 scouts [74]
-shotguns
Land speeder storm [102]
-multimelta

• 3 weeks later...

Idea....

Drop the last 5 man scout unit in bat1

Change the jump HQ to libby on a bike ( bike theme - the jump pack is odd anyway) and give ur biker captain a plasma pistol

Libby spells can be might and null zone. Gives you SOME psychic defense but lets you turn tge captain up a notch with might or get past good invuls with null zone.

• 1 month later...

hey guys, quick update, ill be taking some pics of WIP stuff shortly.

ive got a nice group of gamers local to me now, so fingers crossed ill be playing lots.

The scout bikers are really showing some promise though, sheer number of shots is frightening.

Looking forward to photos of your scout army. Sounds awesome to behold.

I'll be interested to hear how your army performs. I've got enough scouts and associated toys to put together a scout army myself (it's a long time itch I haven't gotten around to scratching yet). Best of luck in your games:thumbsup: 

• 3 months later...

Hey guys

been a couple months since ive been active here. finding it harder to find casual time, and if i do i try and get a game or sneak in some painting.

I really must remember to stop by more often.

anyhoo, ive managed my first three games with new scouts and im a little overwhelmed by how powerful stuff is in this edition, makes me question if themed inefficient units can really stand up to hard hitting armies.

My first game was against admech, just a bunch of models the guy had cobbled together, two big knights, two plasma robots (friggin hard as nails) and loads of infantry with special characters and stuff.

i won frst turn and bikers deleted two units of 10 admech infantry and a big knight dude. his return fire did a fair bit of damage, but i had a good start.

turn two i fluffed everything, fired 2ML, 5 melta weapons and 3 plasma weapons at the second knight, failed to do a second wound, even fluffed the hellfire shells needing a 2 to hit (should have rerolled using CP, learning point 1). i charged in some scout bikes against his robots, but he rolled a shed load of 6s on his plasma and i got obliterated. his second turn he slapped some more of my stuff down, lucky knight charged bikers and killed 4 in one round. Wasnt looking good.

that about summed that game up, i maanged to keep it alive until game ended turn 5, lost on objectives. my mvp was captain on bike with teeth of terra, died turn 5 to a lucky stand and shoot from his general, doing d6 wounds and rolling the big one

game two against IG, he had about 80 infantry bubble wrap and what felt like dozen tanks, he went first and destroyed half my army before i even picked my tape measure up, game was pretty much over at that point, killed a couple tanks and some infantry, but not even getting close to taking part in that one, turn 2 all but a few stragglers were killed, i called it.

game three vs dark eldar, DE went first shot up a few bikers, plinked a few wounds from land speeders, my first turn was very good, wiped out a big unit of helions, destroyed two transports and the flyer (hellfire shells and telion, great combo). unfortunatelt DE had more boats than i could shoot down and thier return fire destroyed me in one round of firing and combat, pretty much left with a unit of snipers and telion.. again called it at that point.

So what have i learned.. im a glass cannon, i can do alot of damage, but fall over to a stiff breeze. Unfortunately i also suffer from a lack of heavy weapons. The best i can manage is multuimeltas on the storms, but being heavy means 4s to hit.

as im also running 9cp (11 as of recent FAQ) i use 3 to upgrade to chapter master. The bikers have incredible output and rerolling all misses really makes a difference, also with the limited units im using, i limited to what stratagems i can use: hellfire shells, flakk and cluster mines all good. cluster mines i havent used all that much, since bikes take all the enemy fire and die quickly. 

I also kinda need first turn if i to even have a shot in the game. Seems a bit pathetic really, but i need to lay down alot of damage asap and hope i can last the return fire to win through objectives

I can also say that certain scout units are just naff. The land speeder storms can fail and fail hard, single shots needing 3/4s to hit is very bad. I was even tempted by the salamanders chapter tactics, but counts as has gone as a rule now though right? and im painting my boys blue

Bolter scouts are not survivable enough, but i could run 100 at 1200 points and still have room for toys, if i wanted to go down that route, could be fun.

i actually think bikers are better ban for thier buck, die to the twin bolters and shotgun and they are little over twice the cost. however im finding most opponents fire multi damage weapons at them and they get taken off in huge numbers.

Im also finding snipers are failing at thier main goal, which is character killing, against admech, they were so tough i couldnt force more than a wound or two and they kept getting those back, against Ig and DE, they kept them hidden or in transports.

im currently torn between some choices.

First one is total redesign. go horde or go home. As stalin once wisely said, quantity is a quality of its own. And that way the massed heavy weapons im facing will be limited in thier damage output. take out bikes, take out storms and go footslogging scouts by the bucket load. combi weapon on every unit, some snipers and MLs in the backfield maybe.

Second is concentrate on the bike theme.

roll in a third unit, drop down the storms to theme inclusion only, running them empty as transports for 5 man sniper squads. and roll in a couple units of converted attack bikes, to get some melta loving. Could well take advantage of the chapter master too.

Oh yes and upgrade chapter master to a thunder hammer, let him wreck a tank or two.

Third, is include two storm talons to get some lascannons on the table, also toying with either heavy flamer or assault cannons on the storms for better damage output on the move.

All options would include moving from big ten man units of snipers, to minimum sizes with cloaks and MLs, should keep them safer, whilst juicier targets are about.

thoughts always welcomed.

Is there anything i can do to get a better shot at first turn? reduce number of units perhaps?

Combi-meltas on your bike sergeants and LS Storm sergeants could help vs. the heavies. I'd avoid the multi-meltas on storms personally and stick to flamer and shotguns.

Also remember, snipers aren't just for characters. The extra MW's do pass on to squads quite nicely (support characters are almost always best to aim for too, tougher characters tend to shrug them off).

I wouldn't go for assault cannons, you already have a whole host of anti-infantry in a scout army, best to try and find a way to leverage some anti-vehicle in.

A medic or two might be a good fit for your guys as well to keep them on their feet.

Archived