Men of your stature...! Squat army WIP project log.

Hello all!

It's been a while since I was last active on this forum and I notice you've since invited xenos and all sorts of other denizens of the galaxy to poke their foot in the door!

Here are some pics of my latest project, a Squat 'count-as' Space Marine force. I've not made huge amounts of progress on painting them, but I'm really loving the models so far:

Scout snipers:

tumblr_otsz3t2ErU1qd9z3no1_540.jpg

Tactical squad:

tumblr_otsz3t2ErU1qd9z3no5_540.jpg

Techmarine with Thunderfire / Quad Cannon:

tumblr_otsz3t2ErU1qd9z3no2_400.jpg

Sternguard:

tumblr_otsz3t2ErU1qd9z3no4_540.jpg

Captain:

tumblr_otsz3t2ErU1qd9z3no3_400.jpg

I've got a few other bits to build including a unit of Centurions inspired by this excellent conversion, a Land Speeder (Gunhauler), a rhino (Goliath) and a termite.

Watch this space for updates, would love to hear your thoughts, feedback and suggestions for the army!

This is one hell of an army. I like that. 

Just one thing, why would the Squat warriors/Tactical squad use the standard issue boltguns and weapons of the Space Marines? I would think they had developed their own guns and equipment because they are a pretty technologically advanced race. (Not to complain though, they look awesome and I would like to play against that army.)

Just one thing, why would the Squat warriors/Tactical squad use the standard issue boltguns and weapons of the Space Marines? I would think they had developed their own guns and equipment because they are a pretty technologically advanced race. (Not to complain though, they look awesome and I would like to play against that army.)

Hey, thanks very much for the feedback. The way I see it, the Squats are a race of intergalactic traders (or certainly are in their Demuirg incarnation) so I think they would adopt tech from many species. The Boltgun is one of those toys that I think any race would look at and raise their eyebrows, so I figured it would make its way into their forces eventually! I will also be using some parts from the Tau range too to give a bit of balance in that sense.

I've left in some Dwarvish weapons to give the Squat their own unique tech as well, you'll see in the Tac squad that one of the Irondrakes has the standard weapon, which I'll use as either a flamer or plasma. The Sternguard also have their standard weapons rather than bolters, though this is mainly because I just loved those models so much I couldn't bring myself to adapt them too heavily!

Hey, thanks very much for the feedback. The way I see it, the Squats are a race of intergalactic traders (or certainly are in their Demuirg incarnation) so I think they would adopt tech from many species. The Boltgun is one of those toys that I think any race would look at and raise their eyebrows, so I figured it would make its way into their forces eventually! I will also be using some parts from the Tau range too to give a bit of balance in that sense.

I've left in some Dwarvish weapons to give the Squat their own unique tech as well, you'll see in the Tac squad that one of the Irondrakes has the standard weapon, which I'll use as either a flamer or plasma. The Sternguard also have their standard weapons rather than bolters, though this is mainly because I just loved those models so much I couldn't bring myself to adapt them too heavily!

Fair enough. Keep it up, I'm waiting ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Ever since I had read through the big rule book and Imperium Index 2 and seen that GW was once more acknowledging the squats (and also the beastmen!) I have been waiting for one of these threads. They look awesome, keep it up!

I thought about knocking up a sqaud of Squats as well. Sisters of Silence come with Umbra (rogue trader pattern) plastic bolters you could probably snag reasonably cheaply on ebay. Or forge world do a set.

It's a fiddly set of conversions to do, but the end result looks pretty 80's. And since squats are the most 80's army out there, I'd say it would be totally worth it.