Defence of Konor

Pr3Mu5

I believe the reason is because of the themes more than anything. This weeks theme was psykers which gave chaos a huge advantage because of all the sorceror models. Meanwhile, the Grey Knight models don't seem to be that popular amongst Imperium players. 

This week we might have an advantage since the theme is flyers and the only viable chaos option for that is the Heldrake which is pretty expensive. 

Not so much theme as the missions too. Week Four's mission was stacked to the defender, especially a horde player. This week is no pinic either.

Having the different weekly themes in your  army isn't too hard. In general this is what I'm using in most of my games now.

Defence of Konor (100PL)

HQ:

Captain in Gravis Armour

Librarian w/ force sword and plasma pistol

Elites:

Redemptor Dread, Icarus rocket pod, onslaught gatling cannon and either the plasma incinerator (heavy armour) or onslaught (hordes)

Troops:

10 man Incessor squad, sgt w/ power weapon, aux grenade luancher and bolt rifles

5 man Incessor squad, bolt rifles and aux grenade launcher

10 man Tactical squad, flamer, missile launcher, sgt w/ chainsword

Heavy Support:

5 man Helblaster Squad, Plasma Incinerators

Flyer:

Thunderbolt Fighter, 2x twin autocannons, twin lascannon and either Helstrikes (low # of fly units) or Skystrikes (high # of fly units)

Lord of War:

BANEBLADE!

(much dakka, 4x sponsons of lascannon and twin heavy bolters)

So here we have all six weeks' of theme in one army that generally causes my opponents a head ache. This week will be no different as long as I don't face our local nurgle daemon player. Even then If I can get the baneblade plus a unit off the field I win.

I have to read up on this... "all the marbles" stuff... I don't know why the rest is inconsequential.It does feel a tad pre-doctored up a bit when you're up 3-2 and told it all comes down to planet 6.

If they wanted to make it truly exciting, I wish they would have waited for more codexes that are involved directly in this conflict.

I feel further removed from it than the good old ones where you had these real 'fluff' updates.

Yup, I'd agree with that.

Well I did get some good stuff painted for the store event, and got some points there, but the big Konor Mega game I could not play in. (They end up being about 5 hours and usually end in T3...I just can't do that anymore this month.)

I did win my games, but the big store game went to Chaos (again... I think they won every one).

The problem is a lot of new/casual players play Imperium. This isn't normally bad but the big game that means the most points has hardened vets on one side, and a bunch of primed Astra/Primaris on the other. The Imperium made a huge tactical error and Chaos hit them hard for it.

I can't complain though... I like seeing new players, and returning players like this. It has been fantastic to see all the people flooding our local GW store for this. At one point I counted 24 people playing in the store. Every table was over loaded in doubles teams... just to get people involved. It was fantastic.

I'm saddened this it's over, and too soon before Chaos had all their stuff out... But it's hard to line it all up. Regardless seeing the level of participation in our store was a great thing.

Yup, I'd agree with that.

Well I did get some good stuff painted for the store event, and got some points there, but the big Konor Mega game I could not play in. (They end up being about 5 hours and usually end in T3...I just can't do that anymore this month.)

I did win my games, but the big store game went to Chaos (again... I think they won every one).

The problem is a lot of new/casual players play Imperium. This isn't normally bad but the big game that means the most points has hardened vets on one side, and a bunch of primed Astra/Primaris on the other. The Imperium made a huge tactical error and Chaos hit them hard for it.

I can't complain though... I like seeing new players, and returning players like this. It has been fantastic to see all the people flooding our local GW store for this. At one point I counted 24 people playing in the store. Every table was over loaded in doubles teams... just to get people involved. It was fantastic.

I'm saddened this it's over, and too soon before Chaos had all their stuff out... But it's hard to line it all up. Regardless seeing the level of participation in our store was a great thing.

If Mortarion had been released just a week earlier, it would have been a bloodbath for the Imperium imo.

Also, do you think the fact that the new Primaris models that are being sold this week will boost the score for our side?

I don't really. I think people have had their fill with Primaris Marines and getting Primaris fatigue.

Not that Primaris are unpopular, I have no data on it, but there's been weeks of Primaris kits and Dark Imperium armies which everyone who wanted Primaris in their armies went and got. There's only so much people can buy!

I believe this because the initial Konor games had a lot of painting points for the Imperium coinciding in the Primaris releases but that seems to have dried up now. Chucking more of the same won't change that.

If Mortarion had been released just a week earlier, it would have been a bloodbath for the Imperium imo.

Also, do you think the fact that the new Primaris models that are being sold this week will boost the score for our side?

Absolutely agree. I play in a few different groups, and head to the store every week for my Konor 'official' activities. -Every- single week I've been there people are registering their painted models which (as I'm sure you know) count for points towards whichever side of the war you're on.

Every week I've been there I've brought new painted stuff each time. If you play with the painted stuff in a game, and you win, you get double points. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind this has helped the Imperium immensely and less so for Chaos....

This painting part allows non-gamers, or people without time to game, to participate. 

So I walk in with my new Primaris unit painted. Score some points. Play my game, if I win, score more points. (the only games I lost were in the big battles which I explained my theory of why above). So I would score double points.

The 'other' side had no new motivations.... and minor motivations through a late release Chaos Codex in the closing half of the campaign. Even so I know I have no chaos to paint (I have a massive undivided force, and Thousand Sons.) 

So again, every week I watch guys coming in with Primaris, or even non primaris. I saw lots of Astra (they are in pretty high use, bordering on bandwagon with the current rules in my area) and I still think aside from Eldar I saw maybe a Daemon player register points. (I would look over this sheet every week to see who was scoring what. ;) )

I'm feeling Primaris Fatigue myself, but only because I've worked non-stop on them. This event has helped push me through a lot of models, and the Primaris forces I've seen at the store (bear in mind it's a 3 colour minimum to score points) has been staggering.

So in a long winded way I'm saying the 'pre orders' this week won't help, but if you had grey Primaris at home, you slap three colours on them and show up with them for a game and it's big points.

On a side note........

It's almost turned me off of Imperium to be honest. It's just so bloody many marines at the store. Just as a side note I was going to actually play in the 'big' battle again this week but as Chaos because they were always short. I had my Thousand Sons with me, and the other side was Primaris and Astra loaded to the teeth and multi Super Heavies.

Then the final tally of players came out and... yea it would have been a monster long game again so I pulled out of the big game. (turns out Imperium lost again anyway.)

Don't get me wrong I love my Ultra but just playing against SM over and over is getting extremely boring. Funny thing is my playgroups (which are somewhat more competitive) do not play marines. lol 

Faction fatigue is definitely a thing. As the next shiny shiny comes out there'll be less Marines out there at least.

Regarding the campaign...

So if I take my recently painted models to GW on Saturday, would they all count?

That's how it's worked for us. If you took the special noted unit (I think it was super heavies this week) you'd receive extra points.

As far as faction fatigue.... I guess there will always be wagon jumpers but I do feel like the majority have been SM for a long time at my GW. Maybe it's just my neck of the woods.

Good good.

Hopefully we'll get some new models. Konor is saved and cranking out munitions and weapons of war. The fight can be taken to the enemy.

I eagerly await Agemman, Tetrach of Konor. I am excited to see new plasma blasters for my Cataphractii, new weapons for my Dreadnoughts and new vehicle variants for my armies.

Above all, I'd like to see new upgrades for my Space Marines. With Guilliman back, why not some older types of Heresy era units?

Assault Marines could be given the option for Rad Grenades and dual bolt pistols. Tactical Marines can be given Siege Shields for storming breaches. Bikers could end up with Jet bikes. Lots of potential for new stuff.

Sure it's just 1 planet. But it's the start of something. GW brought back Guilliman. We've had the Indomintus Crusade to stabilise the Imperium with the 1st tranche of changes being the Primaris Marines. Saving Konor is just the next step and Guilliman is one for progress.

Hopefully GW will embrace these sorts of ideas. They're a miniatures company out to make money. These sorts of things reuse older kits and add to a range for minimal investment. Example - plasma blasters already exist in plastic for Terminators. Left handed pistols exist. Tactical Marines just need a shield added. Chassis of Dreads exist and arms just need sculpting. Forge World had many of these sculpts and mock ups.

Edited by Captain Idaho

Good good.

Hopefully we'll get some new models. Konor is saved and cranking out munitions and weapons of war. The fight can be taken to the enemy.

I eagerly await Agemman, Tetrach of Konor. I am excited to see new plasma blasters for my Cataphractii, new weapons for my Dreadnoughts and new vehicle variants for my armies.

Above all, I'd like to see new upgrades for my Space Marines. With Guilliman back, why not some older types of Heresy era units?

Assault Marines could be given the option for Rad Grenades and dual bolt pistols. Tactical Marines can be given Siege Shields for storming breaches. Bikers could end up with Jet bikes. Lots of potential for new stuff.

Sure it's just 1 planet. But it's the start of something. GW brought back Guilliman. We've had the Indomintus Crusade to stabilise the Imperium with the 1st tranche of changes being the Primaris Marines. Saving Konor is just the next step and Guilliman is one for progress.

Hopefully GW will embrace these sorts of ideas. They're a miniatures company out to make money. These sorts of things reuse older kits and add to a range for minimal investment. Example - plasma blasters already exist in plastic for Terminators. Left handed pistols exist. Tactical Marines just need a shield added. Chassis of Dreads exist and arms just need sculpting. Forge World had many of these sculpts and mock ups.

Yes and another bonus from this campaign thats supports your supposition is that its revealed Konor became a full Forge World again after 10k years. Remember that it was downgraded before the Horus Heresy because the Mechanicus viewed it as too much of a threat (Konor is hinted to have Dark Age of Technology remnants that enabled Maccrage and its surrounding planets to survive even through Old Night).

Now that its a full Forge World again (because Guilliman now wants Ultramar to be bigger and stronger than it ever was), it would make perfect sense in the lore that the re-established Forge World provides all manner of new war material for the Ultramarines.

Ooooh that is spicy. I like it, so much potential there. I can smell the Ultra hate from across the table. ;)

I managed to bank 4 wins 1 loss (mega battle ,blah) and 5 weeks of new painted units and I ended up with the gold award for best army with everything I painted during Konor. I'm personally proud of the amount of stuff I got painted but talk about 'blue burnout'! Lol

I loved this campaign no matter the results.

Now they'll have to cook up a new one tilted towards chaos so Bile can create chaos Primaris.