Vindicator Laser Destroyer v Tri Las Predator

Ishagu

The Predator got a nice points reduction in the new Codex.

A Tri Las Predator now comes at 190, and we all know what it does.

At that point I'm wondering if it's a better investment over a Deimos Vindicator Destroyer?

What has the Deimos got going for it:

-Toughness 8 (1 more than Pred)

-12 wounds (again, 1 more)

-Cheaper points wise

Downsides:

-Can only target a single unit with the damaging weapon

-Range is only 36"

-Only fires twice if it moves

The Deimos Vindicator has a strange but powerful weapon.

It's Heavy 2, Str9, ap-3 3 Damage (becomes Heavy 4 if it stands still)

You can also chose to fire the weapon as Str10 ap-5 6 Damage (Basically if you hit twice you're doing 12 wounds) but the tank gets damaged on a roll of 1.

So, what are people's thoughts? Is the Tri Las better for the range and trusty weapons, or is the more exotic Vindicator worth it for the extra toughness and deadly firepower?

Edited by Ishagu

Like a lot of "which is better" topics ... It depends. My question is what is the goal: All-comer list or not?

If not, then naturally "whatever works" :P

For my part, I'm a huge fan of the Vindicator and certainly the Laser Destroyer. So I'm making one and not worried about cost. I want to use it, so I will. But not in every game.

I think this will boil down to personal preference. As you said, they're pretty close in stats and cost.

I like the Predator Annihilator because it can target different things, has longer range, and most importantly, I have one. Lol

T8 at that price is nothing to sniff at though. It helps ward off missiles.

I have to go with the Predator.  First, it can split fire, which makes it more effective against a wider array of targets (such as squads of multi-wound infantry, ie Primaris and Terminators).  Second, it's a unit from the codex rather than a FW unit. . . and believe it or not, some people still won't use/allow FW at their tables. 

The Predator can also have Chronus riding shotgun, benefit from Killshot if you take a squadron of them, and will soon be only five points mroe expensive than a Vindicator with a laser volley cannon (since you still have to pay for the mandatory storm bolter), in addition to not being as expensive as Forge World prices. In addition, the split fire is pretty handy, letting you finished off something wounded and put some pain on something else.

Putting Chronus in a Predator puts it way above the Vindicator (225 v 185), but it's a possibility for sure.

I think the t8 is being underestimated in terms of impact, as is the possibility of shooting with a -5 AP weapon that deals a guaranteed 6 Damage.

But no doubt, being able to finish off two seperate targets with a Pred is nice.

Edited by Ishagu