All (most) Primaris now available to Deathwatch

Ania Redfang

As title, new pdf for this week allows Deathwatch Primaris of all types, apart from I think the Lieutenants, ancients, and Gravis Armour Captains.

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/Downloads/K3ns3JDOGE2asjf/Primaris-week-4/IORF435R4_ENG_Primaris_Marines_Release_04_July_29th.pdf

Does anyone have plans to incorporate them into their Deathwatch? SIA makes intercessors kind of pointless I think, but hellblasters or Inceptors? There isn't really anything which boosts our weaknesses, though, namely numbers and anti-tank (IMO) so not sure if I'll add anything to my Deathwatch force.

Thoughts? 

It will take a while, but once I paint a unit of Reivers, I'll use them as harassers. DS with 24" assault 2 bolters is nice.

Hellblasters are nice, but their Heavy being Heavy 1, D1 kind of hurts it being a back line gun squad. Best option is the regular one at 33 points a piece, but the biggest kicker is that its cheapest transport option is around 300 pts.

Intecessors, I'm definitely not paying for their transport.

Inceptors are still expensive. For 3, I can almost take a fully kitted Redemptor.

And then all the HQs are still footslogging.

Really, if Primaris ever get cheaper transports, a lot of other choices will be obsolete crunch-wise though.

I agree, two new pieces of DW Primaris art heavily implies we'll be seeing our codex soon. This seems like very specific teasing.

As someone who really dislikes Primaris Marines, both in fluff and model wise - I'm really getting concerned that new Codex: Deathwatch will, in fact, be Codex: Primaris Marines. Because as it is there are more units for Primaris Marines then Deathwatch ones. Fluff wise I have even worse feelings. 

I agree, two new pieces of DW Primaris art heavily implies we'll be seeing our codex soon. This seems like very specific teasing.

As someone who really dislikes Primaris Marines, both in fluff and model wise - I'm really getting concerned that new Codex: Deathwatch will, in fact, be Codex: Primaris Marines. Because as it is there are more units for Primaris Marines then Deathwatch ones. Fluff wise I have even worse feelings. 

With you 100%

By the way, how big are the Primaris' shoulders ? Do they accept shoulder pads from the upgrade pack ?

Characters, Intercessors, Hellblasters all use normal SM sized Shoulders. Aggressors used Terminator sized shoulders. Not sure about Inceptors.

Literally just bought an all new Deathwatch army yesterday - including some Aggressors (flamestorm gauntlets!) and a Primaris Librarian. I'm thinking that I might add the Apothecary and perhaps some Hellblasters but as they don't get special ammo the Intercessors are a pass for now, which is a shame as Special Ammo on them would be great.

Not really feeling them without the special issue ammunition, hope they it to them in the proper codex.

By the way, how big are the Primaris' shoulders ? Do they accept shoulder pads from the upgrade pack ?

The left shoulder of the Reivers accepts a normal pad, but you need to do a bit of trimming to fit a regular pad on the right shoulder - Instead of a normal right shoulder pad, they have a built-in "pad" that's about halfway between an unpadded marine shoulder, and one with a pad. Easy enough to do, though.

With GK getting a codex soon we will see if Primaris get the full treatment of being integrated. If they don't then there is little to no point in DW Primaris other then characters who even still can't take all the unique warhead options. And that will shed some light on other chapters like Blood Angels and Space Wolves who have very specific gear and play styles...if the only thing Primaris gets from a codex is a chapter keyword then there won't be a point to use them

I was just frankly excited to see so much Deathwatch art in Primaris gear. That bodes well for the codex and means that the 'elite' force nature of Deathwatch will be preserved in the form of Primaris.

What I don't like about this is I bought just about one of everything for Deathwatch, including that incredible deal they had last 'Black Friday' with that terrible formation in it. I have no idea how to use this stuff going forward.

The middle ground reaction I have is that a lot of the Primaris stuff is VERY mediocre. Very limited in battlefield roles, very inflexible, and almsot always footbound, unable to use the great Corvus Blackstar.

I play Ultra a lot... I played them a lot this weekend at the Astramis phase one Konor campaign (personal games and the store), and in the past weeks I've used almost exclusively Primaris stuff. I hate to admit it but the vanilla marines do very, very well without these guys.

A Landraider is still a tremendous choice. Cheap dev squads still do very well. Scouts (for marines) are a very easy go to in those detachments for troop choices. The Razorback is flat out an easy choice to put an around around.

Deep strike your non-primaris Watchmaster in the middle of your flyers, and race up some razorbacks and you have a very solid shooty baseline to work a solid list from. Now add in Primaris and it gets confusing... frankly it's a bit awkward because you want to mix in different armour types but it's all exclusive. Space marines can't go in the Repulsor, yet Primaris space marines can't go in the Landraider. Very frustrating at times and it leads to an awkward playstyle.

The simple answer is... get our apothecary, and Helblasters and advance behind a Landraider/Razorback whatever... or wait on the Repulsor and load it up with your solo squad of Helblasters.

About the Redemptor dread... again I'm using this in my Ultra's but only for aesthetics and background (I actually very much like the model, and the background of it) but it's just a chaff killer and at conflict with using that tremendous (S14) arm, wanting to move, but penalizing your plethora of S5 shooting.

Primaris overall seriously lack high damage volume fire. The Helbalster is the only go to in that area and while a solid foundation, they are the best of the worst for going after the likes of landraiders, or solid, tough targets.

It's great to have access to the line up though, and hopefully it continues with the Redemptor, etc, but in actual playing terms, I'm not sure what you really do with all of this as I've found it to be 'fun' in my Ultra lists but every game I think... 'how am I going to make this work in my Deathwatch?' (an already expensive, low model count army with specialized weaponry suited to different jobs on the table).

I find Reivers as cheap bodies that don't need a transport, and Captains as backline HQ with the stalker are the best Primaris uses. I've always been kind of meh with apothecaries. Everything else needs a transport or costs too much.

But as I said, and I feel this will happen eventually, once Primaris get a transport equivalent to the Razorback then most other options will become obsolete. I bet they're slowing going to give the Intecessors more weapon options as well.

It'll be interesting to see what gets blended into Kill Teams from the Primaris line when C: DW drops, but I feel that we may be waiting a while . . . :sad.:

Aww man that would be pretty sick actually. I'm not gonna get myself too excited but that would make DW players buy the primaris stuff for sure.

It'll be interesting to see what gets blended into Kill Teams from the Primaris line when C: DW drops, but I feel that we may be waiting a while . . . :sad.:

Aww man that would be pretty sick actually. I'm not gonna get myself too excited but that would make DW players buy the primaris stuff for sure.

If there is a God-Emperor he'll let us put Aggressors in. And then I'll giggle like a giddy schoolgirl.

You want to charge this unit? Ok, so that's 2 combi-flamers, 4 frag cannons and a flamestorm gauntlet aggressor.  OKAY.

No one pointed out second DW primaris picture? Or the fact hell frozen over and DW actually had more wargear options here than other SM? :whistling:

I really have a feeling DW is going to be next after DG...

I might be blind or something, but where are these art pictures? xD

No one pointed out second DW primaris picture? Or the fact hell frozen over and DW actually had more wargear options here than other SM? :whistling:

I really have a feeling DW is going to be next after DG...

I might be blind or something, but where are these art pictures? xD

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/335942-primaris-captain-and-librarian-in-dw-now-reivers-too/page-3?do=findComment&comment=4828431

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/337309-all-most-primaris-now-available-to-deathwatch/?do=findComment&comment=4836984

:whistling:

I think adding Primaris to the DW is a good idea. But they need to faq to let us know if the Primaris Intercessors and Inceptors (heavy bolter variant) get access to SIA. It would fit. And it would be a really good way for DW to run a different line unit. The Vets will most likely win out still but if you are giving Intercessors 36" range with -2ap or -6" range and -3ap that would be really interesting.

Still... DW getting the apothecary is a huge bonus! They didn't have access to one prior to this.