All (most) Primaris now available to Deathwatch

Ania Redfang

I have been thinking Intercessors for cheap bodies, though. Sad that they're basically chaff for our expensive baby marines.

One thing Intercessors do VERY well is hold the line.  2 Wounds and 30" range means they can operate at better stand-off ranges than almost anything else in C: SM, and at a budget price.  With the inclusion of Auto and Stalker Bolt Rifles, mobility or stand-off range can be improved even further.  Also, note that C: SM added the Auxiliary Grenade Launcher (for free) which provides a bit of extra infantry clearing or AT capability, as well as the ability to throw a cheap Power Sword on a 3 Attack Sergeant.

I got a box of my first Primaris, a unit of Reivers, and they really are pretty cool after building one.

Some gripes are that, even though it's multi-part, it's very difficult to make different poses as the body and legs are very much predefined. You can switch up the arms a bit, but as most of the carbines have both hands on the weapon, it's hard to alter unless you're good with a knife and greenstuff, The hands are similar size to Deathwatch models, so we can use them with a bit of knife work. DW Pad goes on very smoothly without alteration, but the right pad is already on. The heads are strangely small as well?

Still look great though. Still have to decide what colour to paint the masks. Trying to avoid white for now.

Edited by Moostick

I got a box of my first Primaris, a unit of Reivers, and they really are pretty cool after building one.

Some gripes are that, even though it's multi-part, it's very difficult to make different poses as the body and legs are very much predefined. You can switch up the arms a bit, but as most of the carbines have both hands on the weapon, it's hard to alter unless you're good with a knife and greenstuff, The hands are similar size to Deathwatch models, so we can use them with a bit of knife work. DW Pad goes on very smoothly without alteration, but the right pad is already on. The heads are strangely small as well?

Still look great though. Still have to decide what colour to paint the masks. Trying to avoid white for now.

That's a shame to hear, having looked at the sprues I thought one of the few benefits for the way they'd done the legs would be poseability, but suspected this wouldn't be the case.

Try bone for the Reivers, I've seen it on a couple of models so far and so long as you shade and highlight appropriately it actually looks ok - good. Definitely not as cartoonish as white.

@Moostick that's my one gripe with Primaris models - unless you're a fairly skilled modeler, there isn't a lot that can be done with them. I manage to make simple modifications that I like, but Primaris is largely one-size-fits-all.

For Primaris I don't really know if it's worth it or not but I'd go with a twin las Repulsor, and take an apothecary with 5 Helblasters and an Lt in that vehicle. Serious damage is possible from that configuration. I dint know if DW can take the Repulsor though.

For Primaris I don't really know if it's worth it or not but I'd go with a twin las Repulsor, and take an apothecary with 5 Helblasters and an Lt in that vehicle. Serious damage is possible from that configuration. I dint know if DW can take the Repulsor though.

Agreed on the Twin-Las and yes they can take it. I'm building one this week. It has some serious firepower potential. Twin-Las, Heavy onslaught gat, onslaught gat, 2 Fragstorm grenade launchers, iron heavy stubber... for mine. The twin-las is great because it has power of the machine spirit.

I'll let my blackstar run the assault cannons and hurricane bolters for harassing.

I wish we could take LTs though, they'd definitely have a place in the backline of my DW army.

Can we take Primaris Lt's though?

I was just down no the math. Also I've used the HOG on my Redemptors and they are good, but I feel I prefer the Multi Las build personally.

I have my Repulsor confined at 330 on the nose. For Deathwatch I imagine putting 5 Hellblasters, Apothecary, LT, and Ancient in there. That's a costly but very flexible loadout. I've used the premise of this list in my last 3-4 Ultramarines list and it does work.

I agree with the Corvus loadout, and some anti infantry in there, perhaps the Watchmaster.

I don't even know if this is legal but quite honestly I think this could work. The overcosted DW components are out of our control for now. But this looks like a solid base for me.

The idea of painting Hellblasters and my Repulsor up as a Deathwatch is mighty appealing. Truthfully I've played all of the Primaris stuff in my Ultramarines and a lot of it does not invalidate the DW stuff....in fact a lot of it is quite mediocre. The Repulsor loadout I outline there is pretty much my favourite stuff, and it (legally?) allows us access to some of the most usable elites in the Primaris line up!

Thanks I couldn't remember where that list was. Well unfortunately it looks like the Lt and the Ancient won't be legal. That do s suck, but at least the core of it will work and the apothecary is great with Primaris.

My fav two units from Primaris, largely bc I think they look cool, are the Redemptor and Inceptors - I'm waiting for the 3-man squad release where they have the Plasma Exterminators.

I know Inceptors are crazy expensive, but I can't wait to add them in lol; I only plan on 1 with the PE and that's only bc I think it looks awesome.

Yea they certainly look cool. Mine always drop and die. Even with support. The points on the Heavy Bolter variant is now sitting at 180 a threesome. But they can go through chaff or even vehicles at a respectable rate. I've dropped them down many times behind a drop squad of Termies, with Calgar (re roll aura) and Reivers. Guess what always gets shot first? No joke, the Inceptors are well hated by everyone I've used them against. The truly funny part of that story is I drop down and waste about 10 cultists or 5 Chaos marines. The opponents reactions are always... Wow you smoked that squad. Those Inceptors gotta die. Lol

(Even though I'm killing about 100 points of models for 180 of my own).

The Redemptors are super cool. I don't think I'll add anymore though for my DW. In my opinion they should not have a damage chart. They are bristling with chaff fire and the HOG is flexible enough but moving, shooting, damage depreciation....it all makes it quite hard to get mileage out if the unit. The Kheres Contemptor continues to be my all around favourite performer. The Redemptor seemed to die under approximately the same weight of Fire power.

I still am surprised by how nice the Repulsor is on person. But it is a beast to build. I wasn't impressed by it originally in pictures. The Apothecary is simply amazing. IMO he's a must for DW.

The Apothecary is simply amazing. IMO he's a must for DW.

So I've heard that. Where's the best place to have him then? Frontline (transport issues)? Backline fire support? I ask that from the perspective that only recently we've been allowed to use apothecary's, right? So most of our lists are probably built without his capabilities. So what would we sacrifice to include him? A question for the crowd, not singling out Prot here :-P

Edited by Mobius0288

I still am surprised by how nice the Repulsor is on person. But it is a beast to build. I wasn't impressed by it originally in pictures.

I'm curious what you mean.  I similarly think it looks bleh from pictures...could you elaborate?

Well I just mean personally I was mostly buying this model because of its function in my army. But when I actually put it together, I found I was much more pleased with the aesthetics once it was in hand, compared to the pictures I'd seen online. 

I'd actually dare say that in black with some red accent (DW) it would look very sharp. 

The Apothecary is simply amazing. IMO he's a must for DW.

So I've heard that. Where's the best place to have him then? Frontline (transport issues)? Backline fire support? I ask that from the perspective that only recently we've been allowed to use apothecary's, right? So most of our lists are probably built without his capabilities. So what would we sacrifice to include him? A question for the crowd, not singling out Prot here :-P

Well I start him in the Repulsor for sure to reduce drops. My Termies usually come in only when the Repulsor/Landraider can properly support them. Since Primaris and Termies are all Multi wound, I'd try to keep the Apothecary in range of both units. It happens at the end of his move phase so he can be versatile with multiple multi-wound models. 

The reason I'm disappointed in the lack of Ancient is I've had games where the Ancient has had guys come back from the dead long enough to shoot an overcharged Assault Blaster, then die out... next turn the Apothecary actually revives him... it's a good combo, but you have to be aware that the wording is if he is in range of a unit you selected to heal, he first heals D3 wounds missing off of the unit, BUT if there is no missing wounds, he can instead revive a fallen comrade. 

Not just a rule of cool, the Sgt gets +3 attacks... so +4 with the knife.

That's a really good point...I was thinking a small (5 man, to reduce footprint) with carbines and grapnels would make an awesome infiltrating/assassination unit against a long-range infantry threat up high in a building.  This just about seals it :)

• 4 weeks later...

So with the space marine codex out for a while and the Primaris units having been tested by people, what are your thoughts on running them in Deathwatch? Is it actually beneficial? I was wondering whether you would be better off allying them in as a separate detachment so that they benefit from chapter tactics which they wouldnt get in a deathwatch force.

It will depend slightly on each person's tactical approach but I'll run through my thoughts on the units I've used. I'd be interested to see how others incorporated them as well.

Army design/approach: DW for is in-your-face assault with specialty kill teams, supported by the transports, flyers or heavy support (landraider).

- Reivers. Most flexible units as they are cheaper than a kill team, they can deep strike AND they have 2 wounds. If you need to fill 100 pts, include a squad of 5 Reivers and grav chutes. It has become an auto include for me. Best used on other infantry types, elite melee infantry might give you trouble.

- Repulsor. Godly expensive transport unit, but the only transport available for Primaris. All of my opponents have targeted it first and usually succeeded in killing it by the end of turn 2. I kitted mine out to be a firing platform since I can shoot heavy weapons at full BS on the move. My thoughts for it now is to kit it out with an auto-launcher (smoke), advance turn 1, pop smoke and try to shoot turn 2. If you aren't transporting primaris units, do not bring it. Bring another Blackstar or more razorbacks.

- Primaris Captain. He's not horrible. I would use him with a heavy stalker bolter to support my stalker/missile team perched up on terrain. Even if you move him around, he can do some good (BS2+ with -1 for heavy weapon and master-crafted). But honestly for the roll I use him, a watchmaster is a better option. Captains are more of a front line support if you are already incorporating a watchmaster. But if you want him on the front lines, how do you transport him?

Potentials (stuff I haven't used):

- Primaris Apothecary. Awesome when paired with (expensive) kill teams, probably most useful on the front lines. Elite choice but still a character. Transport is a problem. Maybe roaming stalker bolters (Hellfire rounds) models paired with some special weapons could be used to maximize range since they'll be footslogging.

- Primaris Chaplain. One extra wound and a better pistol. Transport and footslogging is the biggest issue. Maybe you could transport him in a Repulsor with some Reivers to maximize his abilities?

- Hellblasters. Bought a set but haven't used them yet. Awesome support unit on paper, able to deal with multiple types of threats. Their range is pretty good for the default guns  (30", rapid fire, AP -4!). Their price is also comparable to a kill team (and 2 wounds) but you'll likely have to replace or downsize an existing kill team in your army to make it fit. Transport is less of an issue for these guys in the support role but they have great assault potential against multi-wound tanks/MCs/super heavies. I can't recall if the heavy version of the weapon gives more range or not. I don't think it did... but that would be a reason to take it.

- Aggressors. Good potential but you've got to get them across the battlefield. They're a little expensive when trying to use them with DW. Better potential in a regular space marine army.

- Intercessors. Good and more wounds but I'd rather have kill teams or reivers.

- Interceptors. I'd rather have more kill teams or reivers. We're already an "elite army" and point management is very important.

I think Intercessors are pretty decent for DW. 100 points for 10 wounds and guns that essentially already fire Kraken rounds (+6" range and -1 so over a regular bolster) makes for nice objective grabbers whilel kill teams are out kill teaming.

The heavy plasma incinerator does have a longer range over the regular one by 6". Hellblasters in general make a nice mobile fire platform.

Rievers, I agree, particularly shine especially when working with a close combat kill team to negate overwatch.

Edited by Cap'm Heckus