The Palmyrene Spears - Camouflaged Space Marine Women

Hail and well met! Herein lies a small PLOG dedicated to my Primaris Marine force which I am assembling basically because my son wanted to get the Know No Fear starter set, and wanted the Death Guard, because he likes all things gruesome.

The in-progress background to this force of Primaris Marines, based in the Palmyrene Cluster, can be found in this thread here.

And with no further ado:

gallery_16610_13533_92780.jpg
1st Squad, 5th Company. Sergeant Artemisia frequently goes into action bare-headed, preferring to "see and smell the enemy with mine own senses". She is not, however, suicidal, and carries her Mark X helm with her for use at a moment's notice. The glare-goggles pushed up on her head are a personal affectation.

gallery_16610_13533_111888.jpg
7th Squad, 5th Company. Note lack of Chapter insignia or company number on left kneepad. It is common for Palmyrene Spears to go into action with few or no markings on their battleplate - advanced IFF data is available to all Marines through their helmet HUDs - in order to confound their enemies' intelligence gathering. It has also been known for the Spears to operate with deliberately incorrect markings on their armour, too. Further note the Mark VII helm on Sergeant Dehiya - she has deliberately chosen to wear this older helm for its greater sensor suite, as evidenced by the externally mounted ranging LIDAR.

Next - Captain of the 5th Company, Mavia Anasartha. After that? Inceptors!

Edited by Gen.Steiner

I like the paint job (I'm not much of a painter so I can't say much more than that . . .). Anyway, cool stuff. I don't normally visit the forge, but I saw this in the "recent threads" box and clicked it :biggrin.:

Edit: But the symbol on their knee definitely looks like a dollar sign ( $ ) to me, or the thing on the knee of the model you posted in your fluff thread for them. I don't see it here.

Edited by Servant of Dante

I'm liking the direction this is going. Lovely paint job, nice backstory, looking good! I play Space Wolves and the thought of them meeting an all female Space Marine Chapter makes me laugh. Not because they would freak out, the opposite actually, ancient Viking's did not care what gender you were as long as you could fight well. They literally wouldn't give an anything as long as the Palmyrene Spears killed things consistently.    

I like the paint job (I'm not much of a painter so I can't say much more than that . . .). Anyway, cool stuff. I don't normally visit the forge, but I saw this in the "recent threads" box and clicked it :biggrin.:

Edit: But the symbol on their knee definitely looks like a dollar sign ( $ ) to me, or the thing on the knee of the model you posted in your fluff thread for them. I don't see it here.

Thank you! Heh. You are not the only person to say that. It's the angle of the photo I think; what I've painted is a '5' with a line through the middle - I can't remember the name of the font but you can see it on Dark Angels squad numbers.

I'm liking the direction this is going. Lovely paint job, nice backstory, looking good! I play Space Wolves and the thought of them meeting an all female Space Marine Chapter makes me laugh. Not because they would freak out, the opposite actually, ancient Viking's did not care what gender you were as long as you could fight well. They literally wouldn't give an anything as long as the Palmyrene Spears killed things consistently.

Ta very much! Yeah, Space Wolves just want to fight, sing, and drink enormous quantities of mead in order to try and get their ridiculously potent bodies smashed :P

And now! As promised!

gallery_16610_13533_27665.jpg

gallery_16610_13533_5502.jpg

Captain Mavia Anasartha, commander of the 5th Company, in Gravis-pattern mk X armour. Unusually for the Spears, she wears a reliquary around her waist that contains the bones of her predecessor to the post - it is a personal penance as Anasartha believes herself responsible for the death of her friend and old commander. The cape is made from cameloline and is similar to those worn by scout Marines from other Chapters. Of note is the small shield on her right shoulder pad that displays the Chapter's official heraldry. Normally it would display her own, but Anasartha believes that would be an unforgivable display of ego on her part, so she wears the Chapter heraldry to remind herself - and her Marines - of the importance of the Chapter and mission above self. She is, perhaps, one of the dourest personalities within the Spears.

Looking good on the grey suits. The chest pieces look a a little flat though, do you intend to highlight them in any way?

Would like to see a close up of that sergeants head, looks good from afar.

No, I'm deliberately leaving them flat black to emphasise their muted and camouflaged nature. When you look at the figures 'in the flesh' natural light actually highlights them quite nicely, which is pleasant.

Sergeant's head - ask and ye shall receive:

gallery_16610_13533_33850.jpg

The head is from Statuesque Miniatures' Heroic Scale Female Veterans pack. I will be picking up a pack of the Bionic and a pack of the standard Female Heads as well to scatter round the eventual army.