Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New paintscheme/chapter - the Ghost Bears or 'Draugabjörn'.

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

Graymane

Graymane

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 377 posts
  • Chapter Name: Vylka Fenrika

Greetings brothers,

I am torn what to do with my new primaris marines and would welcome your input. 

I have trialled painting them in the style of my existing lost company: 

med_gallery_87416_13341_483313.jpg

med_gallery_87416_13341_588775.jpg

The much abridged idea being that following the upheaval, having emerged form the warp storms closer to home, they encountered RG's crusade. Loyal to the end and always looking for a better way to murder-make they accepted the new weapons, armour and upgrades as eagerly as they had accepted the challenge of becoming Astartes in the first place.

So upgraded and reinforced, RG then ordered the lost company to form a new chapter in its own right, (Possibly tasked with guarding/patroling/defending something not figured out why story line wise yet). Haakon Greymane, also known as , fiercely loyal to both Russ and the All-father, refuses to turn his back on Fenris, but knows his duty and agrees that his company is needed to do what is asked of them. 

And so the Úlfur-Bjorn (possibly? loosely translates to wolf-bears. Bear type name suggestions welcome) come to be.

Colour scheme wise, i was considering this (please imagine it as a primaris marine):

med_gallery_87416_13341_33559.jpg

Their left pauldron displays the wolf's head of Russ. Their right the bear-claw symbol of their chapter. Their Plastron displays the imperial eagle.

Their loyalty to all 3 beyond question.

The knee pad and rear panel of the backpack (bear in mind these will be primaris) will be the squad marking.

Well, thats about all i have so far.

Any suggestions or comments most welcome.

Many thanks,

GM

Edited by Graymane, 10 August 2017 - 09:52 AM.

• HvitrValdyr and CCE1981 like this

''The All-Father wove the skein of your life a long time ago. Go and hide in a hole if you wish, but you won't live one instant longer. Your fate is fixed. Fear profits a man nothing' - Herger the Joyous

''Luck often enough, will save a man, if his courage hold'' - Buliwyf

sml_gallery_79710_12195_14764.pngsml_gallery_79710_12195_2101.jpg

Formerly known as Argentius.

Wolf_Priest _Dantay.

Wolf_Priest _Dantay.

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,815 posts
  • Chapter Name: Space Wolves
Looks good. Are you going to vary the pad or trim colours to show which company they are from?

Also will bear names be used.

Can imagine long fangs as Grizzlies.

Maybe Kodiaks?
ETL 1v2

HvitrValdyr

HvitrValdyr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 183 posts
  • Chapter Name: Vlka Fenryka
I like the colour scheme. Will the shoulder pads be white or more bone like the painted example?
gallery_48988_6285_4875.png
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety"
-Benjamin Franklin

Graymane

Graymane

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 377 posts

Hello!

Thank you for replying. :)

Looks good. Are you going to vary the pad or trim colours to show which company they are from?

Also will bear names be used.

Can imagine long fangs as Grizzlies.

Maybe Kodiaks?

Undecided on the shoulder trim. Quite possibly worth a dabble. And i am definitely considering bear or bear related names. I have also been experimenting with translating useful word to Norwegian and Icelandic. Jarnklaw = ironclaw, Isbjorn = icebear, Ulvens Bjorner = Wolf's Bear, etc.

I like the colour scheme. Will the shoulder pads be white or more bone like the painted example?

The painted one is in my current great companies colours using Ushabti Bone.

The new scheme I'm thinking of going lighter/off-white. Similar to polar bear fur. Rakarth flesh base with Pallid Wych Flesh and white highlight.

Cheers,

GM

''The All-Father wove the skein of your life a long time ago. Go and hide in a hole if you wish, but you won't live one instant longer. Your fate is fixed. Fear profits a man nothing' - Herger the Joyous

SITZKRIEG!

SITZKRIEG!

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 28 posts

Looks good.  I prefer the more HH influenced color schemes overall though like your's.

764803_sm-My%20blog%20banner%20for%20my%

Graymane

Graymane

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 377 posts

Hello,

So I may have got slightly carried away and gone hunting on shapeways.

Following a bit of a chat with one of the designers there, we came up with this:

sml_gallery_87416_13341_18995.jpg

Which he then rendered into these:

https://www.shapeway...oulder-pads-set

Contemplating the bear head as a chapter symbol and the claws being used somehow as company markings. Either numbered in Nordic on the palm pad of the claw, or possibly colour based? maybe both?

The bear head will likely be white, with the edging black as seen above.

Possibly on either a bone or grey background? Maybe dark red?

Anyways, comments most welcome.

Cheers,

GM

• DanPesci and hammer grimblood like this

Deadnaughty

Deadnaughty

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 149 posts

I already have a different idea for shoulderpads on my new SW army but if they don't work out I will seriously have to consider those bears.

Looking great.

DanPesci

DanPesci

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,810 posts

Hello,

Following a bit of a chat with one of the designers there, we came up with this:

Contemplating the bear head as a chapter symbol and the claws being used somehow as company markings. Either numbered in Nordic on the palm pad of the claw, or possibly colour based? maybe both?

Cheers,

GM

those bear pads look wicked.

Totally at the stage of trying out new color schemes for my next set of wolves too. Was going to go for a much darker grey than what ive been using..but really think that new light scheme you have there could look very nice and crisp on the new primaris models.

On a slightly related note...i was wanting to use some mkIII and IV armour parts to signify the age/lost company of my guys, has anyone tried mising these with the more true scale primaris parts...do they work?

ETL_2015_Banner_02_Custos_Fidei_01.jpg

DVNE - Crushing tales of space horror (In space no-one can hear you doom)

MaveriK

MaveriK

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,993 posts
Jotun Bearclaw returns! That bear heard is wicked cool. It would look good in any colour, black background and red icon.

For some reason I can't see Celtic working with the bear theme, maybe Native American but not Celtic. Which isn't bad either. Whatever you decide or do you already have a good basis to start something new and amazing. You can't go wrong or do wrong from here since it's new for you and everyone else here.

Looking forward to this! Keep us posted

gallery_24878_5332_22902.jpg gallery_24878_5332_12892.jpg
Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/Azn_MaveriK. Night Four: Inglorious Brawler, Season One. Night Three: Inglorious Brawler, Season Two.

Graymane

Graymane

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 377 posts

why do i know that name? Where have i heard Jotun Bearclaw before? huh.png

MaveriK

MaveriK

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,993 posts
LOL I meant to say head not heard. Was writing on cell phone.

He's an established wolf lord.

40,992 The VIII Kimmerian regiment, fighting orks on the eastern fringe, are assisted by Jotun Bearclaw's renegade Great Company, who refused to return to Fenris after fighting at Ichar IV due to the length of travel time involved.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/Azn_MaveriK. Night Four: Inglorious Brawler, Season One. Night Three: Inglorious Brawler, Season Two.

HvitrValdyr

HvitrValdyr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 183 posts

Bear symbol looks great. I like where this is going.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety"
-Benjamin Franklin

Graymane

Graymane

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 377 posts

Hello again!

I have just been to the local hobby shop/club and, at my better half's suggestion, picked up some new paints to try a slightly different, warmer colour.

So, although the shoulders have yet to arrive, i thought i might test out my new paint scheme.

I have used a SW shoulder pad as a stand in bear head and freehanded (badly) the bear claw.

med_gallery_87416_13587_91827.jpg

med_gallery_87416_13587_137556.jpg

med_gallery_87416_13587_62772.jpg

med_gallery_87416_13587_167590.jpg

med_gallery_87416_13587_107825.jpg

med_gallery_87416_13587_28964.jpg

What do you think so far? 

I have been contemplating names, background, etc and had reached a bit of en impasse. I would be most grateful for any suggestions/feedback.

I had been leaning towards Iron Bears, or Iron Claws. Storm Bears has unfortunately been done (on this forum i believe) and Bear Claws have also been done and have the added misfortune of sounding like an American doughnut.... 

Any which way, I had initially thought to do a Nordic variation. A 40k Iceland, to Fenris' vikings, as it were.

However something Maverik said got me thinking. In the real world, we know that the vikings discovered North America and would have likely encountered the Native Americans. I must admit that although a staunch son of Russ, i have also always had a fondness for the Native American theme that the Dark Angels once sported. And so it got me thinking, what about Native American/Inuit space wolf successors?

A company of Wolves, far from home, cast adrift by a massive warp storm. Their ships badly damaged and failing, the wolves discover a human world (Jotunheim?). A frozen and hostile planet, lost to the imperium. Ice covers the majority of the planets surface in huge sheets, miles thick at the poles. At the equator, the surface warms sufficiently that in summer the sea melts for a few short  months. Its people have regressed to a tribal state and with no modern technology, these humans survive and endure. Other than to hunt or search for resources or occasionally, a new home, they survive clustered in caves and around geo-thermal vents. Hunting, fishing, fighting the environment or each other, they claw out an existence. 

Seeing much potential in these hardy tribesmen, it is here the remnants of the great company make a new home and start to rebuild their strength.

On the surface of 'Jotunheim', life has inevitably adapted to the hostile environment. Herds of giant, thick furred snow-bison graze upon the equatorial tundra. Huge elk, their antlers meters across and tipped with razor sharp spikes can be seen in the heavily forested mountains, or venturing down to drink from the icy glacial waters. Various predators hunt these herds and the humans alike. Packs of direwolves, marginally smaller but no less cunning than their fenrisian cousins, their fur blending them like ghosts into the background. The huge winged mountain eagle that can swoop down and carry off a bison calf,or an unwary human at will.

And of course the Ice bears. Massive beasts of truly fearsome proportion. A large as a Rhino APC, thick wiry white fur easily capable or turning a blade or even surviving hits from a bolter, over iron hard flesh, stronger than steel. Jaws that can crush a marine in full battleplate with out effort and razor claws as large as an Astartes combat blade, capable of tearing a hole in a battletank. Built for the cold, these Ursidae are the apex predators. And it is from these bears that the new chapter takes their name....

...if only i could choose one. ermm.gif

So there you go. I quite like the back story. Whether the tribes in question end up being Native American(ish) or Celtic/Nordic(ish) remains to be seen.

My main issue now is the name. I feel it may be similar to 'space wolves' in that in itself, it sound a bit lame, however they refer to themselves as 'vlka fenryka' or 'the rout' which is much better. The chapter name may sound a little off but be much better when translated into (somewhat mangled) nordic or now, possibly some Native American variation.

Any feedback/help much appreciated.

Cheers,

GM

Edited by Graymane, 06 August 2017 - 11:10 AM.

• NightHowler likes this

NightHowler

NightHowler

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 599 posts
  • Chapter Name: The Hand at the Gate
How about Ghost Bears?

"By the River fettered Fenrir will lie till draws nigh the doom of the Gods." - Frey, Lokasenna: 41

Graymane

Graymane

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 377 posts

very mechwarrior biggrin.png

But i like it... unsure.png

Edited by Graymane, 06 August 2017 - 02:31 PM.

Lord Ragnarok

Lord Ragnarok

++ DIMICATIO FORMIDOLOSA ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 8,717 posts
  • Chapter Name: SW's, Relictors, Red Corsairs

Love the color combo! Make it happen!

And although it makes me think of the Ghost Bears of Mechwarrior, I like the name given your fluff and the way they look. 

Edited by Lord Ragnarok, 06 August 2017 - 04:34 PM.

gallery_12375_5740_34637.jpggallery_12375_5740_49348.jpg
"This is not the first time you've been left to fate. I can see it in your manner. It takes something from you doesn't it? Being deserted hollows you out and leaves a void inside. People might say that it hurts, that the psyche aches from the wound. It's not true though. Abandonment does not leave pain. You wished it did because that would be better than the truth. It leaves nothing. Not hope, not pain, not forgiveness."

HvitrValdyr

HvitrValdyr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 183 posts
How about Ursine Warriors?
-Benjamin Franklin

Graymane

Graymane

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 377 posts

Hello folks, 

Thank you for the suggestions and feedback. After some thought, I am leaning towards NightHowler's suggestion calling this new chapter the Ghost Bears or Draugabjörn. :)

A few further updates on the pad front. So, my new pads turned up from shapeways and are looking good. However i apologise for the paintwork and pics which were both a bit of a rush job last night...

med_gallery_87416_13587_198434.jpg

med_gallery_87416_13587_576078.jpg

med_gallery_87416_13587_916677.jpg

And a side by side with my old wolf company colours:

med_gallery_87416_13587_993810.jpg

I like to think it is similar enough to share an origin, but different enough to be noticeable.

My main question now, is in regard to the colour of the pauldrons.

I am leaning towards the simple black on off-white for the right. Possibly placing the nordic number for their company in the middle of the palm pad.

tn_gallery_87416_13587_15404.jpg

However, the left with the chapter symbol i am still pondering. 

The white and black on gray works, but can make the model look a bit washed out. The red background also kind of works, and is a nice counterpoint to the grey, but i'm not sure if a vibrant red works with the ghostly hunter vibe. I tried the bear head red on grey but i felt that was a little too wolfish... 

tn_gallery_87416_13587_8005.jpgtn_gallery_87416_13587_60821.jpg

I knocked together some mockups through the wonders of Microsoft paint:

med_gallery_87416_13587_198434.jpgmed_gallery_87416_13587_397664.jpgmed_gallery_87416_13587_583444.jpg

A usual, any thoughts/advice most welcome! :)

Cheers,

GM

• NightHowler likes this

MaveriK

MaveriK

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,993 posts
panserbjørn!!! for chapter shoulder symbol, black background with white? polar opposite of the bear paw? or just have random markings/tattoo painted on helm?

Graymane

Graymane

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 377 posts

On a slightly related note...i was wanting to use some mkIII and IV armour parts to signify the age/lost company of my guys, has anyone tried mising these with the more true scale primaris parts...do they work?

Just realised i hadn't answered this! Heads and shoulders are the same scale, however all other body parts are out. There are several threads however of people using primaris to do truescale marines, including one by our own HvitrValdyr that can be found here . So yes, i would say you should be able to mix and match to a point. :)

• HvitrValdyr likes this

Graymane

Graymane

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 377 posts

panserbjørn!!! for chapter shoulder symbol, black background with white? polar opposite of the bear paw? or just have random markings/tattoo painted on helm?

Indeed! i had been planning on having a Iorek Byrnison in there somewhere. :D

And i am intending to have various tattos and potentially warpaint too.

Am intrigued buy the opposites idea, but im cautious about bringing in too many colours. On the other hand the bolter casing is black, so potentially...

Cheers,

GM

NightHowler

NightHowler

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 599 posts
  • Chapter Name: The Hand at the Gate
I actually really like the way you have it painted now - white bear head on a grey background. I think it looks great like that.

"By the River fettered Fenrir will lie till draws nigh the doom of the Gods." - Frey, Lokasenna: 41

HvitrValdyr

HvitrValdyr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 183 posts
I really like the existing colors. I think adding runes for squad delegation on the paw would be awesome.
-Benjamin Franklin

CCE1981

CCE1981

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 211 posts
  • Chapter Name: Tempesta Griffons

Hello,

Cheers,

GM

Not a fan of the Battletech Ghost Beats emblem?

CCE1981

CCE1981

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 211 posts
  • Chapter Name: Tempesta Griffons
https://www.shapeway...tionId=58024437

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users