New paintscheme/chapter - the Ghost Bears or 'Draugabjörn'.

Graymane

Good job. As for the Chapter symbol and its colors, you might as well use them all, with the explanation the Ghost Bears are as individualistic as the Space Wolves, and each Ghost Bears Captain designs his own version of a "ghost bear" to represent his Great Company.

Hello folks!

Thank you for taking an interest. And I'm glad you like them so far! :)

Not a fan of the Battletech Ghost Beats emblem?

Have to admit, I'm not. I like the head, but the whirlwinding arms around it are reminiscent of a cartoon brawl and put me off. Always have.

I also wanted something unique and not a direct steal from another universe. :) 

By the way, are you a 'BattleTech' fan? (I believe "Ghost Bears" is the name of a Clan.)

I am indeed and do play Mechwarrior Online piloting a Kodiak! :D

Cheers,

GM

Good job. As for the Chapter symbol and its colors, you might as well use them all, with the explanation the Ghost Bears are as individualistic as the Space Wolves, and each Ghost Bears Captain designs his own version of a "ghost bear" to represent his Great Company.

Hello again!

Hey if you want to make your own successor chapter then make it! The sons of russ will rise again

I shall! And they will! and their successors shall fight by their side, for Russ and the All-father!

Glad you like em! And thats not a bad idea. I'll give it some thought.

Im really liking where this is going, please keep us updated!

I will certainly do my best. Off to get some aggressors and a librarian in a minute.... :)

Cheers,

GM 

Really liking this Greymane.

Re the pauldron colours, sticking with the red background does give a nice nod to the 30K era SW scheme, and the grey and white definitely need another colour to make them pop.

I'd go with a deeper darker red.  Against the cold drab tones of the grey it will still stand out.

I think a really deep red would work with the bear symbol, which should be kept white.

If I had one small nit pick, its that the bear head on the pad seems a bit small. Although leaves room for decoration I suppose, like some freehanded runes and such like.

• 1 month later...

Hello folks,

Well, its been a while, but i finally finished my new Wolf Bear lord...

med_gallery_87416_13587_663344.jpg

med_gallery_87416_13587_507208.jpg

med_gallery_87416_13587_591252.jpg

gallery_87416_13587_1987.jpg

med_gallery_87416_13587_585912.jpg

med_gallery_87416_13587_602147.jpg

med_gallery_87416_13587_805364.jpg

sml_gallery_87416_13587_933236.jpgsml_gallery_87416_13587_749501.jpgsml_gallery_87416_13587_297879.jpg

med_gallery_87416_13587_1104001.jpg

gallery_87416_13587_6061.jpggallery_87416_13587_10371.jpg

gallery_87416_13587_23944.jpg

Have been giving some serious thought to slinging a shield on his back. Modified a Wulfen one with some greenstuff. Thoughts?...

sml_gallery_87416_13587_285805.jpg

Also realised i haven't edged his base. Benefits of hindsight eh?

Anyways, i hope you like him so far. Hopefully will have some more bears for you in the not so distant future.

Any comments/feedback welcome as usual.

Cheers,

GM

P.S. Should I get admin to move this to WIP?

Those are some awesome models you made! 

If you don't mind me asking, what colors do you use for you base armor?

Reason I'm asking is because I'm color blind and can't get myself to like the light blue "normal" Space Wolves color, and I find the 30k version a bit too dark ( I was using Mechanicus standard grey). And for the life of me, I'm lost when it comes to colors :)

Your minis are looking really nice. 

1. I love your bear chapter symbol.
  2. I love that you aren't afraid to make Space Wolves successors.
  3. love the stripe behind the bear head on your latest mini. It counters the bear head being so small. I'd ask him to scale it up if you order more or want to put them on a single color background.
  4. I would like to see more contrast in your color scheme. I would consider taking a page from the Angels and mixing up the colors on different units and models. An example would be veterans in black armor and/or scouts in white. You could put a lot of red on Blood Claws to make them pop.
  5. I would find it irresistible to paint up a legion of the damned squad as actual ghosts such as with Mordrak's Grey Knights and have them rising from the ground.
  6. I would also simply have to add flying skulls around some units such as rune priests.
  7. Please do your own take on named characters with their own livery and colors. These are your guys, make them cool.

Please don't let anyone talk you out of Space Wolves successors. I think it was incredibly short-sighted of GW to say they don't have successors and wish people would let it fall by the wayside. We've lost so much good fluff over the years (The Star Child, all of WFB), why can't we lose some bad fluff with it.

If all else fails, make your army a chapter of renegades, separated from the Wolves during the Heresy and unwilling to rejoin the legion now that Russ is gone. That allows you to use both the loyalist and traitor codexes as time changes the meta.

• 1 year later...

Hello folks,

So, a long overdue update here! Much has changed!

For starters, here is the new chapter symbol and the previous one was not practical from a painting point of view....

gallery_87416_13587_8108.png

This is the basic design.

gallery_87416_13587_6702.jpg

And this is the blood stripe variant worn by fully blooded warriors. Stealth units and initiates have no stripe.

Here is a test reiver...

med_gallery_87416_13587_1002712.jpeg

med_gallery_87416_13587_665908.jpeg

med_gallery_87416_13587_178872.jpeg

med_gallery_87416_13587_927326.jpeg

med_gallery_87416_13587_497732.jpeg

and a group shot with the old wolf sergeant...

med_gallery_87416_13587_1094308.jpeg

And here is one of the reivers with the native american style war-paint...

med_gallery_87416_13587_194056.jpg

med_gallery_87416_13587_113255.jpg

med_gallery_87416_13587_1789153.jpg

So, thats it so far!

Let me know what you think! :)

Cheers,

GM

Edited by Graymane

Is the bear icon something you made/sculpted yourself, or is it a shapeways thing?

Also, is the native American face paint a one off or a theme inherent to your fluff as well ☺️?

I like everything so far, and I'm looking forward to see the progress, as you have proven to be quite inventive already

Edited by ranulf the revenant

• 3 weeks later...

Right folks,

I am trying to narrow down my names for this chapter and really need your help. Potential names include but not limited to:

Thunder Bears (blend of mythological thunderbird and general guardian bear legends. Works for both cultural references)

Iron Bears (armoured side of things. Picturing tribesmen meeting a marine for the first time, etc)

Ghost Bears (bit mechwarrior and bears are not overly stealthy, but I like it. Was my origina thought)

War Bears (brutal and to the point)

What do you think? Really struggling to nail it down. Any advice and/or suggestions most welcome.

Cheers, GM:)