Intercessors, loadouts and tactical value

chapter master 454

So prior to the codex, intercessors came in 5s and with no options other than their bolt rifles. Notably now they have access to 3 rifle options, able to take neat grenade launchers and the sergeant can get himself a nifty power sword. This now makes intercessors a lot more interesting and flexible.

First is just standard issue. Bolt Rifles are fairly respectable, effectively just Boltguns with kraken rounds these weapons are decent as they can not only plink down even Tau Strike Teams but also retain the benefit of being a marine (primaris marines at that) so can run up and take advantage of rapid fire along with being not shabby at melee. Durable and flexible.

Second up is the more aggressive mid-range control, tell them to try the full auto button and see their reactions ("Holy Emperor this is awesome!"). The auto bolt rifle rattles 2 shots down range at 24" at boltgun standards so do not effectively work against heavier targets like MEQs however many shots will work these down. This squad can control the 24" range with their blistering rate of fire and because of assault typing, can even advance to help keep enemies at boltgun reach away. These guys however can go aggressive but it would be best left to the standard issue, keeping to 24" as to keep their advantage.

Thirdly is the long range pseudo-sniper squad. Plop these boys on an objective deep in your territory or even just camp them high up on some ruins and let these boys slam some seriously scary bolt rounds down range. Their AP is now no longer just a minor aid, making even MEQs roll 5+ to save and even a terminator has to take the bus like everyone else with a 4+. The big drawback is these weapons are heavy and leaves this squad to only be snipers who do not much else. That being said, even on objective defense charging primaris can be a real headache due to their wound count and their marine toughness.

So what are the thoughts on intercessors? Tactical position? Comparison to the natural brother squad, Tactical Squads. A big consideration is an intercessor squad does cost near enough 50% more than a tactical squad before weapons and they do lack options beyond bolt weapons relying on their Aux. Grenade Launcher to deal with harder targets.

Will your armies adopt these guys on mass or only for back-up?

I feel like the Stalker loadout is the most useful, unless your army is entirely Primaris, in which case you'd need some of the other options since you can't just put your Primaris squad on a backfield objective and they'd actually have to move around and do work.

The firepower and melee potential of the other variants is actually not that amazing, they are pretty much like what generic Tacticals were, maybe slightly better, but if you really wanted to lay down fire or assault things, there are better choices, so I'm going to predict that the most popular loadout will be the one that costs the least points.

I am loving this squad more and more.

I am thinking of at least 1 ten man Intercessor squad with Stalker Bolt Rifles, IF Chapter Tactics and sitting next to a Warlord with the Storm of Fire warlord trait sitting in my backfield.  36 inch range, ignores cover and on 6s I generate more shots (when using Bolter Drill), as well as increasing my AP from a -2 to a -3 on 6s as well.

Back that up with two ten man Auto Bolt Rifle squads with their own MC Auto Bolt Rifle Lts and I think I have a pretty dangerous gunline with just the troops.  They can all benefit from Bolter Drill.  They all ignore cover.  

I am doing an exclusively Primaris Chapter, so my opinions are coloured by the (self-imposed) limitations.

For most squads I favour the Bolt Rifle, the combination of range, AP and rapid fire make it a brilliant all-purpose weapon, suited to either advancing on foot or jumping out of a Repulsor. I would use either 5 or 10-man units, and definitely consider the Grenade Launchers, and perhaps a Power Sword on the Sergeant if you are planning to get within 15" of the enemy.

The Stalker is brilliant on 5-man squads camping in the back/on an objective. If you are forced to move they are still hitting on 4s, which is not awful, and they provide a nice mid-level support for the army (in the absence of Heavy Bolter/Missile Devastators) that can be supported by the heavy-option Hellblasters (in the absence of Plasma Cannon/Lascannon devastators). I feel the Stalker profile renders the AGL a  not-worthwhile investment, and I wouldn't bother with the Power Sword unless I had left-over points (as it could be a neat deterrent, but doesn't fit with the squad's role). Certain chapters can make devastating use of Stalker units, chiefly Raven Guard (-1 to hit them stacked with in cover for 2+ Save is devilish) and Imperial Fists (denying opponent bonus to cover save on AP-2 weapons, Bolter Drill).

The Auto Bolt Rifle I initially didn't see much point to, but I am coming around to them - especially after discovering the Sergeant can take a Power Sword. Thus equipped, they make a nice unit for an initial quick advance to take table positions whilst still laying down respectable firepower, before retreating and keeping up the ranged power as the slower melee elements of the army catch up. Their increased mobility also allows them to "chase" faster units that may give your slower models (e.g. Aggressors) trouble, like Bikes and Crisis Suits with greater effect than the other two previous options. The AGLs are a potential option, especially the Krak round against higher-toughness/multi-wound models. These could also be a great option for White Scars (Successors) who get the bonus to their Advance rolls, giving fast-moving infantry that can lay down a good curtain of fire.

Surely the Stalker is best fielded in units of 10? Mass firepower at range rather than a handful of shots?

It can be, but Intercessors are already fairly expensive and taking a smaller squad helps to fit in more potent fire-support options, like Repulsors and Hellblasters, which complement the Stalker nicely but also provide additional abilities. There is also the fact that 2 units of 5 tend to be better than 1 unit of 10 (especially if you plan to Combat Squad as you get a second Sergeant thus giving both groups +1 Leadership), but certain Chapter Tactics/Stratagems would increase the worth of a larger unit of Stalker-equipped guys (Imperial Fists make great use of them, for example).

I intend to mainly use Raven Guard Chapter Tactics with my Primaris, so the Stalkers and Bolt Rifles will probably be my primary go-to for Intercessors - whack them in cover and the opposition are at -1 to hit and I get a 2+ save. Would you suggest five strong squads for Raven Guard then, or, like Fists, bigger squads for more potent concentration of fire?

I intend to mainly use Raven Guard Chapter Tactics with my Primaris, so the Stalkers and Bolt Rifles will probably be my primary go-to for Intercessors - whack them in cover and the opposition are at -1 to hit and I get a 2+ save. Would you suggest five strong squads for Raven Guard then, or, like Fists, bigger squads for more potent concentration of fire?

It would depend on what else you have in your army, whether you have units that can take a beating (other 10-man units, or tough stuff like Aggressors or Redemptors) and whether you have enough units to spread out and claim objectives when you need to. If all your units are small/fragile, a powerful 10-strong unit(s) will give some real backbone to the army and give you a pivot to operate around and a target to draw the opponent in (and if they don't prioritise them, they get hammered with shots all game); conversely, if you have lots of big units already then taking smaller units will be of more benefit for spreading out your fire support and for claiming objectives (-1 to Hit making them more durable than other 5-man units, Defenders of Humanity allowing even a weakened small squad to take an objective from the opponent).

It would depend on what else you have in your army, whether you have units that can take a beating (other 10-man units, or tough stuff like Aggressors or Redemptors) and whether you have enough units to spread out and claim objectives when you need to. If all your units are small/fragile, a powerful 10-strong unit(s) will give some real backbone to the army and give you a pivot to operate around and a target to draw the opponent in (and if they don't prioritise them, they get hammered with shots all game); conversely, if you have lots of big units already then taking smaller units will be of more benefit for spreading out your fire support and for claiming objectives (-1 to Hit making them more durable than other 5-man units, Defenders of Humanity allowing even a weakened small squad to take an objective from the opponent).

Useful thoughts. Thank you. :)

Wouldn't the role detailed here for the auto bolt rifle be much better achieved with Reivers toting carbines? They're cheaper, have the option to deep strike, have the same stat line, better pistols, and carry some better abilities, though they cannot contest objectives as well as Intercessors can. Edited by Lemondish

Wouldn't the role detailed here for the auto bolt rifle be much better achieved with Reivers toting carbines? They're cheaper, have the option to deep strike, have the same stat line, better pistols, and carry some better abilities, though they cannot contest objectives as well as Intercessors can.

They can - it is a definite alternative as if you just want a mobile unit then Reivers do it cheaper - but they aren't Troops (if you are looking to fill FOC), don't benefit from Defenders of Humanity, and don't get Grenade Launchers or a Power Sword. Furthermore, the two non-deployment abilities for the Reivers necessitate being within 3-6", which the unit is mostly trying to avoid. The fact they can mostly do the job is why I was iffy about Intercessors with Auto Bolt Rifles to begin with.

Wouldn't the role detailed here for the auto bolt rifle be much better achieved with Reivers toting carbines? They're cheaper, have the option to deep strike, have the same stat line, better pistols, and carry some better abilities, though they cannot contest objectives as well as Intercessors can.

They can - it is a definite alternative as if you just want a mobile unit then Reivers do it cheaper - but they aren't Troops (if you are looking to fill FOC), don't benefit from Defenders of Humanity, and don't get Grenade Launchers or a Power Sword. Furthermore, the two non-deployment abilities for the Reivers necessitate being within 3-6", which the unit is mostly trying to avoid. The fact they can mostly do the job is why I was iffy about Intercessors with Auto Bolt Rifles to begin with.

I understand. Though I think those abilities serve the same purpose as the Power Sword - useful when you can't stay at the range you want.

I don't think there's much need to be concerned with FOC with the way detachments work, but that is something worth considering.

After much consideration I think that the Intercessors benefit mostly from the Bolt Rifle and Stalker Bolters; the Autobolters are just a bit too... close-ranged... for how I envisage them being used. It's sad because the Autobolters are really cool!

After much consideration I think that the Intercessors benefit mostly from the Bolt Rifle and Stalker Bolters; the Autobolters are just a bit too... close-ranged... for how I envisage them being used. It's sad because the Autobolters are really cool!

I think there's value to the mobility they have, though it's likely too dependent on the game/opponent. 

They certainly do look awesome. I'm likely to find a way to magnetize them so I can swap the weapons out whenever. 

Thing is that there is, in the Reivers, a much more mobile unit choice for the Primaris.

Magnetising the bolters shouldn't be too hard as they are modular weapons; you might need a very small magnet though!

Thing is that there is, in the Reivers, a much more mobile unit choice for the Primaris.

Magnetising the bolters shouldn't be too hard as they are modular weapons; you might need a very small magnet though!

I think I still have some really tiny ones from 6th edition when I magnetized the crap out of Tau suit bits (not just the weapons). I'll test their fit with current boltguns.

And you're right, Reivers do fill that role but do not have DoH, which I think creates some room for the auto Intercessors. I wonder if my group will just accept them as count as rifles lol

Regarding Repulsors, I'm thinking of sticking 4 Aggressors and a Captain in Gravis. The ultimate distraction carnifex?

I think I still have some really tiny ones from 6th edition when I magnetized the crap out of Tau suit bits (not just the weapons). I'll test their fit with current boltguns.

And you're right, Reivers do fill that role but do not have DoH, which I think creates some room for the auto Intercessors. I wonder if my group will just accept them as count as rifles lol

Regarding Repulsors, I'm thinking of sticking 4 Aggressors and a Captain in Gravis. The ultimate distraction carnifex?

I think so long as everyone that has a Bolt Rifle has the same gun, it doesn't matter, does it? That way the counts-as is super easy. Might fall over a bit with LT's with autobolters.

4 flamer aggressors or 4 all-the-dakka aggressors?

I think so long as everyone that has a Bolt Rifle has the same gun, it doesn't matter, does it? That way the counts-as is super easy. Might fall over a bit with LT's with autobolters.

4 flamer aggressors or 4 all-the-dakka aggressors?

Personally not a huge fan of the flamer ones, but the all dakka ones have some limited range so trucking them up to where they're most needed might be valuable. I imagine they're also pretty decent in a fight alongside the cap in gravis. 

Of course, I'm nowhere near my painting milestones so it'll have to wait lol

Seems the general vote is stalker boltrifles are taking preference however I find that a shame. Most people are writing intercessors off as not good at melee which isn't the case. They may not be GODLY good at it when it comes down to it, when it's charge or be charged you can rely on intercessors to hold the line and even take it. Might not wield melee weapons but you when it gets to troop on troop action, intercessors are hard to push back.

When people pass them off as bad melee they may as well pass them off as bad shooting at their guns have little value in grander schemes compared to units like centurions and aggressors. They aren't meant to be the best but if you were asked to bring a unit that would have to deal with both range and close combat, intercessors are a good choice. On top of that their 2 wound stat line means doing good damage is hard, they have to drop twice the normal firepower into them to drop one gun. When I mentioned their melee ability I refer to them barreling onto an objective of other troops, not banshees or the like. When you barrel on top of an objective who do find? Gunners, ranged weapons. They count for squat once you charge them.

Hence why I mentioned their default rifles are meant mostly for charging with, as rapid fire encourages getting close then just charged because hey may as well now. They are durable and that is a trait any troop choice would give their leadership for. Why not use it to it's fullest. Yes, a full 10 man sniper squad is good and it is real good but don't forget their will be objectives elsewhere. Intercessors backed by Reivers having already taken a toll on the enemy ether by taking fire or taking out fire is scary.

I also feel the lack of respect for the assault boltrifle might be a little low. It is a weapon designed to allow the squad not to charge, but to maintain that 24" distance and keep it at all times while laying down fire. I would think the raven guard would appreciate a weapon that has mobility, similarly with white scars too. The raven guard mainly as their durability comes from maintaining that distance and the Auto boltrifles do that, you get 20 rounds down range at 24" every turn and the enemy can't ignore that for even 2-3 turns as it will wear down even other intercessors but when they are harder to hit due to their perk, well things get nasty.

Also...Agressors are filthy and we all know it. No need to discuss how good those guys are...we are here for intercessors not squad "Giga-Gatla-Dakka"

Interesting comment on the use of the autobolter there actually. I'm so used to an aggressive style of play, pushing forwards, that I hadn't really considered moving away from the enemy to maintain distance.

Apologies about the Aggressor talk - forgot what thread I was in. 

The 'kiting' nature of the autobolter was why I figured the carbines for Reivers were a better option than the auto bolter (and also cheaper). I think against certain armies (as well as with certain CTs), the auto bolter may actually outperform the rifle. The AP is always nice, but an IF force, for example, already ignores cover so I feel like the lower AP isn't as big of a negative. RG, as mentioned before, would benefit as well with the mobility. 

So three squads all kited out with the various options seem to be a decent way to go. Stalker for objectives near or in deployment, autos for mobility midfield, and rifles for moving up on a flank to secure an objective (with a charge, if necessary). 

Three squads of ten can also be split into six squads of 5, which gives you more options tactically (if at the cost of increasing deployment 'drops').

Or 1CP with the stratagem if they eventually would need to be split up for those same tactical options.

Given that these guys probably aren't riding in a transport, and that with DoH they will be primary objective-holders, I agree the Auto Bolt Rifle has some merit — it's going to be important that these guys can advance every turn and still be useful. That said, if you aren't IF, the 30" range does let you move and shoot at a longer distance; you could simply start further away than have to retreat. 

I do like the idea of these guys vs. enemy infantry, I think their extra wound and second attack makes them much more resilient against GEQ and the like especially in close combat. I wish they had something like bayonets but as it stands they are kind of the Grey Hunters of C:SM — good Troops that can handle an assault better than most of your opponents can.

It's true that they're quite a bit more expensive, but I've seen so many games where Tactical Squads just get no chance to fire their bolters effectively and represent a very small, barely useful component of your force. I would rather sacrifice some points elsewhere to buy some of the most resilient objective holders in 40k that can also actually make a difference in the shooting phase, Heavy/Special weapon or not (leave that to the Salamanders.)