Obsessive compulsive chaotic disease

Gabocius

Hi guys !

With the V8 out I found my motivation to finally get my army of CSM painted ! This topic will be about everything about CSM, as I never managed to stick to one or another army...they are a warband of undivided CSM on one hand, on the other they come along with a lot of cultists.

This should end up as a black legion warband, yet I never did feel like painting black legion and my regular marines have come in a lot of shapes before being stripped off and repainted, again and again.

That being said, I will start this chaotic topic with a not so chaotic unit : the fallen. I've always been in love with Cypher, at least his lore if not his miniature. Some time ago I bought the DA guy from Deathwatch Overkill as I thought it would be a good base for a Cypher conversion. By the time I finally did the miniature, the official new Cypher had already been released but I'm still rather satisfacted by my own approach of this guy. 

In the meantime I decided that I could do better than selling the DA part of my Dark Vengeance box, and tried my hand at making them fallen.

I aim to make them almost loyalist alike, with a subtle chaotic influence.

Enough with speaking, here is my first unit alongside with Cypher :

http://i.imgur.com/1NvqSK3.jpg

On this unit only one guy is slowly getting under the influence of the warp, hope he is noticable enough.

Cypher alone, frome the same picture but I corrected the brightness to get a more atmospheric picture :

http://i.imgur.com/PC3ScdX.jpg

And here is the state of my workbench for the moment :

IMG 9389

IMG 9391

One guy got a mutated arm, the DA captain a new face and sword, and the chaplain lost his crozius for a powerfist and downgraded his plasma pistol for a more archaïc one.

What to you think about them ? Some chaotic influence will be added in the painting process. I'm thining of a glowing from inside armor, and maybe smth else. Any ideas will be welcomed. As for the chaplain, I will try to make him more of an officer, as chaplains should exist back in the heresy.

I'm also working on the librarian from DV but for the moment I'm not totally sure of what to do. I'm thinking that all warp related had been forbidden back in the heresy, yet some guys did kept their abilities, even if not using them. I started to remove his psychic hood and am thinking of giving him a mutated arm instead of the sword, as he should be more sensitive to the power of warp than others. What do you think ?

Edit : I have trouble putting pictures of the right size directly in the topic. For the moment they are from the B&C gallery. Is it possible to link them directly in full size ? If not do anybody know a reliable image hosting website ? I noticed lately that most of them changed their policy and it's necesary to pay for any interresting service...

Edit2 : trouble solved, thks @Vairocanum !

Edited by Gabocius

Wow fantastic work! Love your version of Cypher, awesome paint job as well! Liking the chaos influences you've added to the others as well! As for picture sizes you can click on the picture in your album and under options there will be a "view all sizes" option and you can choose which one you want. Alternatively imgur is a decent image hosting site as well. Looking forward to seeing more!

med_gallery_100483_13544_173429.jpg

Thanks a lot for your feedback guys !

I have little time this week to get my hand at some paint but here is a quick built that I'm thinking about for the librarian :

http://i.imgur.com/vnZ9DpD.jpg

(Sorry for the very bad pictures, did it quickly with my phone..)

For the moment I prefer the middle option, as it seems to come along well with the general composition of the miniature. There is also something about the right option but he would remain a bit too "pure" in regard to what I want him to be. What do you think ?

Also I re-uploaded some bigger pictures in my first post with imgur, as B&C seems to automatically resize the pictures.

The week end is almost off, and even if I hoped to have a bit more time to spare on my miniatures, I managed to put some paint on 4 of the guys that were already undercoated :

http://i.imgur.com/7pmUQpy.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/C9OTXSj.jpg

For the moment they look a bit shiny because I still need to varnish them, this will be done after basing, no longer than tomorrow I hope.

I'm quite happy with a few things I tried on them, even if there can still be a lot of improvement in the technique. The glowing from inside effect of the left guy seems to work, I'm afraid that the picture hides half of the work that I put in it. It's more subtle and smooth in reality. 

I also tried some freehand on the leg of the guy 2nd guy from the left. From a distance it can be rather convincing, but I still need to be cleaner. And definitely need some better brushes ! This was done whith a yellow GW one, but the tip of the brush always made a fork during the painting process...

I'm also really satisfied with the color scheme of the non mutated guy, the red trim of the shoulder pad really adds smth. 

And finally, what do you think of this tentacle ? First time painting one and I must say that it will not be the last ! very funny to do !

At one point I tried to paint some demonic faces on the armor but it was definitely a fail. Do any of you guy know a good and simple way to do this ? I'd like to try this

I think the tentacle looks great, I really like the glow effects too. As for daemonic faces, the tutorial somewhere on this page ( http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/150542-razs-word-bearers-hell-follows-with-them/page-22?do=findComment&comment=3160894 ) shows how to paint a Latros Sacrum, it works great for my Word Bearers and is really simple. I'm sure it can be done on a small scale to replicate writhing faces. It's picture 12 in the post on how to paint Word Bearers. I'm looking forwards to seeing it!

Thx DiscipleOfTheWord ! There's a lot of stuff that I want to try from this topic !

Here's a quick update before the week end with the finished minis next to their brothers  (yellow light saddly, will take some better pics when everything is finished) :

http://i.imgur.com/USfcWN2.jpg

I like that the marines with glowing eyes / mutated stuff stand out well in the mass.

I started to paint the HQ yesterday, they should bring a bit of variety to the squad as for the moment it is a bit uniform. Also, I need more plasmas !

Cheers !

Edited by Gabocius

Updaaate !

I hoped to to paint the captain (who I will call my Fallen Ronin) and the chaplain during the week end, but they are actually so full of small details that it turned out to be a pain at the end. Details are nice when they bring a bit of background with them but what for bringing so much amulets and stuff in battle ??!

Anyway, I'm happy to show you my Fallen Ronin, who sadly suffered from a varnish incident...I got a white blur on the mini when spraying the varnish. Not to the point that I should repaint the mini but still...how disapointing !! GW varnish can be very deceptive, will try to find a more reliable brand of varnish in the future.

http://i.imgur.com/Oy276BK.jpg

Here are some 360 pics of the guy

http://i.imgur.com/NSiHYr6.jpg

I see him as still "loyalist" (as much as it can be for a guy who spent some time in the warp...) but also suffering from the influence of the warp and slowly turning demoniac. His new found weapon may not be stranger of this state of being ;)

Here is the state of the chaplain at the moment :

http://i.imgur.com/yoSNyNP.jpg

I need your advice with him.

First, what do you think of the inside of his cape ? I think it brings a nice background for the mini but in the same time I'm afraid it looks too "wealthy" alongside the slightly golden trims of his armor. If you have some recipe to paint some faded and durty red, that would be of use !

Second, I hesitate to keep the dark angel symbol of his cape in the same color. At least I can't think of any color that would go along with it for the moment...Any advice about it will be welcome !

Btw, the face will have pinky glowing eyes, and bloody mutated mouth :)

The ronin looks great painted up, its unfortunate about the varnish though. I think the red on the inside of the cape looks fine as Cypher is the same. Keeping the DA symbol red should be ok too I think since there aren't a lot of colors used in 30k DA anyways. Looking forward to seeing the chaplain finished!

I actually really like the way the Dark Angels symbol on the cloak is silhouetted in green right now. Nicely understated and slightly shabby, which makes sense for the Fallen. I wouldn't change anything.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys !

Thanks a lot for your advises ! I finally decided to keep the DA symbol on the cape as is, because I didn't feel like painting it another color.

Sadly I suffered again from sealing hazard, but hopefully I will actually be able to repair that as soon as I find some good mat varnish to apply with a brush.

Anyway, here are two pictures of the finished guy, I'm still rather satisfacted of the painting...except for the sealing incident. You will see the difference before/after sealing, it's actually quite noticeable.

Before :

http://i.imgur.com/twGNPXF.jpg

And as it is now :

http://i.imgur.com/MgGWH8i.jpg

Next should be the librarian, who will be significantly more chaotized, I a see him as more susceptible of suffering from the warp influence.

Also, I dug back some old Thousand Sons that I began ages ago, I have to paint them so as to match my previous ones...problem is that I don't really remember my old mixing ratios. I also got my hand on some khorne berzerkers that were painted with a shovel (what's the english for that ? ^^), but luckily I finally discovered some Glanzer at the supermarket. This thing is wonderful, you can forget some plastic minis for days in and they'll never be harmed. Say...the paint will be, not the plastic ;)

I plan to paint them the same way as the previous ones, which turned out quite good : with wood stain !

Keep tuned guys ;)

The chaplain looks fantastic completed, really liking the updated colors! Definitely looking forward to seeing the librarian as well as the TS and Berzerkers. Also not sure about the direct english equivalent of "painting with a shovel" but I think a close meaning would be "caked in paint."

Thanks a lot to all of you !

I'm really glad to have joined the BAC forum, you guys are amazing and I feel the motivation flowing...too bad that free time doesn't follow as well !

The chaplain looks fantastic completed, really liking the updated colors! Definitely looking forward to seeing the librarian as well as the TS and Berzerkers. Also not sure about the direct english equivalent of "painting with a shovel" but I think a close meaning would be "caked in paint."

Lol, "caked in paint", really like this one, I'll remember that when I look at my older miniatures.

So, today I have no significant advancement to show you, I've been busy at other stuff. I put some order in my hobby corner some days ago and...oh man ! I couldn't believe how much space marines I still have left !! I knew that I had kind of a full army in boxes but that was actually like 40 spaces marines, 10 terminators and the list continues...

I advice that we all should make a big check of the stocks at least once a year, because I'm sure that I'm not the only one forgetting the state of my stocks as time flows.

Anyway, that's good news for future projects, too much of them actually ! I'll try to focus on what I already have on the desk, the berzerkers and thousand sons I already spoke about.

As the weather was appropriate for photography yesterday, I took the time to finally make a decent pictures of my whole Fallen squad, and am pretty satisfacted with the restult. Especially, Cypher does stand out but not too much and only because of his dynamic posture. In other regards he is fitted very similarly to a regular fallen and stays quite discreet.

http://i.imgur.com/Qtzjrfv.jpg

I have to understand how to adjust the "deepness" on my camera... GWs photographers are killer at their jobs !

Cheers to all parents bringing their kids to school for the first time today, and to their children who'll soon be learning life "the hard way" (y'know like...MANDATORY 13 o'clock NAP KIDS !!)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys !!

I'm not dead !

I've been busy last times but could finally finish my librarian, thus closing the Fallen warband for the moment.

I'm quite satisfacted with the librarian's painting, except for the scythes on his backpack...lacked of imagination for them. Anyway, here he is :

bbgnmu2.jpg?1

And a some close ups of his face and of the magical effects, wich I'm most satisfacted with :

Fhjdq6D.jpg?1

2Mik95a.jpg?1

You can find here the picture of the whole squad with a few other close ups. I added some markings to the squad, trying to tie up with the pre heresy scheme, hope that works !

Now what's next ?? I still plan to paint a last squad of thousand sons, already waiting on the workbench, but surfing on the Nurgle wave, I digged up my old plague marines !

9BxS9WG.jpg

They were painted ages ago and I think they are the first representative of me trying to actually paint rather than just "put color on the miniature". While I think I made some technical progress, I also have to recognize that by this time I had much more free time and was able to pull out some gems. Pretty sure that I couldn't do again such a face :

VwYWz35.jpg?1

This guy was also one of my first rather "heavy" conversions. Actually more a kitbash that really heavy converted. He was inspired by the Forge World nurgle sorcerer.

GYRm5iQ.jpg?1

Also, this guy was built at about the same time, when the plastic terminator came out. I couldn't resist buying them but couldn't either suffer painting loyalists...so this came out :

gWi3TfI.jpg?2

Now that Morbäck created the plaguebones and that he then actually designed the whole new nurgle range, he doesn't hold up so good facing the newer miniatures, but I still like him a lot, he is kind of a relic from a long lost past.

I plan to rebase these guys in the same way as the Fallen, and then will decide if they need some refreshing in the painting or if they feel right enough.

See you guys !

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys !!

Thx a lot for your appreciation of my work !

As said in my Hall of Honour topic, I'll make a step by step for fabric clothes, leather, and also faces to try to show you my humble skills ;) (in France we would call such skills those of a "voleur de poules", litterally a "chicken thief" : techniques being cheap and efficient at the same time).

So here's my work so far. The death guards are finished and received a coat of matt varnish, much better for photography !

wI3VBbN.jpg

B2vqAXt.jpg?1

ptnF8mn.jpg?1

epbp68w.jpg?1

I've also worked a bit and a "new" (painting wise) thousand sons squad :

tDtNJoX.jpg

flash off

OxABnyn.jpg

flash on

The guy on the left is a member of a previously finished squad (years ago...), I'll try to get the same result. Painting gold trims on such old minis is really a pain ! Gold paint in itself is far from being the most covering paint produced by GW, and the molds for theses miniatures are so old...the trims are actually quite "blurred". Anyways, when the gold will be done they'll be really quick to finish.

Keep tuned guys ;)

Woah, excellent work. What's that head from?

Thx ! The head is from the mighty skullcrushers but I've cut the lateral horns to make him look less chaotic, just on the verge on turning.