Help for a returning battle brother

I haven't played warhammer In two years, and even then I only played a two games, and it's been another three or so years since I played before that. I have no idea what I'm doing and what's going on. Currently I only have so many playable models, and drop pods costing half as much as the tactical squad riding it isnt a great use of power in a 75pl game (at least not the three of them.

Could anyone help me get back on my feet? I have a small selection of units but honestly I think I may need to scrap it all and just start anew; but the blood of Dorn runs in my veins, and we are a stubborn lot.

If it helps, here's what I have currently.

Captain/chapter master, librarian, and chaplain in power armor.

10 terminators, one assault cannon

10 sternguard, 2w heavy flamers and 4 with combi meltas

1 dreadnaught

20 tactical Marines

2 storm talons

1 Whirlwind

1 predator

3 drop pods

1 knight Titan warden

Thanks for any advice you can give me

Battlion detachment

Captain

Libby

3 x 5 man tac squads (drop pods optional)

Predator

Stormtalon

Vanguard

Chaplain

2 x 5 man sternguard (drop pods optional)

5 Terminators (deep strike for outflanking and back field contestation)

Dreadnought

Without knowing what wargear you have equipped on vehicles its harder to judge, but that sets you up for an army with 7 command points and hopefully some anti tank options

They are the names of detachments, and each detachment gives you extra command points, different detachments give you different amounts of CP and require you to take certain units.

CP can be spent during the game to use strategems.

Strategems include rerolling dice, interupting the attack order of close combat and things like that.

So they can be used in tight situations or to guarentee a more favourable outcome, for example a lascannon does D6 damage so you can take 1-6 wounds from any multi-wound model, so lets say you have succesfully hit and wounded an enemy dreadnought and you roll a 1 for damage, you can now spend a Command Point (CP) and reroll the dice for how much damage your lascannon has done, so once rerolled you roll a 4 and the dreadnought only had 3 wounds left, you've now succesfully destroyed it instead of leaving it able to retaliate.

So they can be very helpful during a game, you just have to think about how to spend them as you'll only have a limited number during a game

Edited by Brother Captain Sirus