Quick question about points

Kubrick54

Hey guys!

Longtime 40K player who just got into Deathwatch this edition.

I bought the new Space Marine Codex and noticed that some items (namely close combat weapons) have a different point cost than in the Index 1. Since we use the Space Marine Wargear List for most «common» warmer items and that list was invalidated or updated with the new SM codex, do we get to use those updated points as well? I know the easy and most probable answer is «you use the points where you picked your units» but Warhammer Community published an article about the new codex a few weeks ago and some of what was rather interesting. Here's the part:

«Blood Angels, Dark Angels and Space Wolves army lists in Index: Imperium 1 all let you use units from the Space Marines section of that book. If you own the new codex, you should feel free to use those same units’ Datasheets from that book instead, until your own codex comes out.

If you have a Deathwatch army, the same applies. For the Deathwatch, as well as new units, if you have the new Codex: Space Marines, feel free to use the full range of powers from the Space Marines Librarius Discipline in there for your Librarians. You’re equally welcome to stick with the Index powers if you prefer.»

So it would seem that we get to use the update data sheets, the update Librarius psychic discipline so why wouldn't we use the updated points for the same items? Your thoughts?

The way Imperium 1 seems to be put together, all of the data sheets from space marines are used for Deathwatch.... then they built exceptions on the DW wargear list (xenophase blade, stormshield cost, no chaplains with jet packs, etc.)

So while you can use the Librarian disciplines and the already listed Primaris models in DW, everything else will be Space Marine specific. If anything is going to be changed for DW, it will be changed in the codex that comes out. I don't expect any changes to be honest.

And to keep this response tailored to point values (whole other thread on the new codex), our veterans can pretty much take anything. They're complete bad***es. In turn, they themselves cost more as well as some of their wargear. Can you imagine an entire army of kill teams with 3 storm shields and 2 frag cannons? It just doesnt seem as fun/fair in my mind. We got a little balancing, as well as the other armies too (deep strike, characters/death-stars, etc.)

That's my thought anyway.

I think you just have to hold out for the codex for real answers on how things should be adjusted.

I now look at the index as just a place holder, meant to hold us over for the actual codex. But keeping this Deathwatch related, check out the already mentioned threads going on the index, and potential codex ideas. For now check out the Primaris threads for leveraging them in your Deathwatch force, but no... I don't think Deathwatch can leverage the Codex Astartes for point costing on shared items. :)

My interpretation per GW is anything shared between DW and SM in the Index can be shared per the SM Codex until a chapter receives its own. The most obvious point being Stormshields cost DW more, and the Index is explicit in that regard. However, all other weapon profiles and costs are specifically referenced to using the SM portion of the Appendix. Edited by N00BST4R