IF Chapter Master

thepager

Hello everyone, 

Just a quick thought/question. Anyone know why GW has consistently ignored the fact that the Fists have a chapter master. He is nowhere to be heard from or seen in the new codex and even in sentinels of terra from last edition, there was little mention. 

I would love to have a chapter master option similar to basically all of the other main codex chapters without using the +3CP tax. 

What do you all think? 

I would love to have a chapter master option similar to basically all of the other main codex chapters

Well let's not get ahead of ourselves, it's 50/50 on who has their Chapter Master in the book. Ultras, Templars, Crimson Fists, Raven Guard all have theirs (and to be honest, Raven Guard are only included in that because Shrike got a lore-promotion since the last book). Everybody else is left out; spare a thought for the Iron Hands who still don't have a named character at all. 

I don't think every character named in the background actually needs rules of their own, although it would be nice to be able to represent them. I would have preferred the option to actually buy a generic Chapter Master outright and equip them via the normal ways, rather than it being tied to Command Points.

I would love to have a chapter master option similar to basically all of the other main codex chapters

Well let's not get ahead of ourselves, it's 50/50 on who has their Chapter Master in the book. Ultras, Templars, Crimson Fists, Raven Guard all have theirs (and to be honest, Raven Guard are only included in that because Shrike got a lore-promotion since the last book). Everybody else is left out; spare a thought for the Iron Hands who still don't have a named character at all. 

I don't think every character named in the background actually needs rules of their own, although it would be nice to be able to represent them. I would have preferred the option to actually buy a generic Chapter Master outright and equip them via the normal ways, rather than it being tied to Command Points.

Good point, I should have did the math on the others haha. It's so crazy that Crimson Fists and Black Templars have theirs as a Second Founding of the imperial Fists and the First Founding doesn't. It would have been nice even as a mention!! It should be an option to buy with points though for sure. 

Can we use Pedro and still have access to the imperial fist only entry's?

No. If you use named characters from Chapter X, your tactics/stratagems/relics are also from Chapter X. 

This is probably my least favourite change in all of 8th; the effective removal of counts-as. If you're going to insist models be painted the "right" way in order to use their rules then at least give those of us running successor chapters (or as the OP points out, even First Founding chapter's without their main characters represented) the means to effectively create our own characters.

No. If you use named characters from Chapter X, your tactics/stratagems/relics are also from Chapter X. 

This is probably my least favourite change in all of 8th; the effective removal of counts-as. If you're going to insist models be painted the "right" way in order to use their rules then at least give those of us running successor chapters (or as the OP points out, even First Founding chapter's without their main characters represented) the means to effectively create our own characters.

I'm not sure I understand the issue. You can paint Pedro and his ilk however you want, but for rules purposes he and his ilk will be CF. I don't think it matters how you want to represent that, right? You don't need to follow that colour scheme is what I'm saying, as long as you're following the rules. 

Unless you mean you wish you could take Pedro's rules and apply it to an IF character? If we had the ability to just grab heroes from another chapter and make them count-as heroes in our own, nobody would use any hero other than Rowboat Girlyman. Though I do like the idea mentioned earlier of spending points to create a custom chapter master rather than having to spend command points to do it. 

"Counts-as" hasn't been removed though. I mean, you can paint the army pink with sparkly rainbows, and use them as any of the Chapters you like.

You can use your Imperial Fists as Raven Guard, you just can't use Lysander if you do.

"Counts as" is alive and well.

"Counts-as" hasn't been removed though. I mean, you can paint the army pink with sparkly rainbows, and use them as any of the Chapters you like.

You can use your Imperial Fists as Raven Guard, you just can't use Lysander if you do.

My comment was based on the blurb in the Blood Angels section of the Index, where it specifically states that Dante can only be the Chapter Master of the Blood Angels and you can't take his rules in a successor chapter. I didn't realise that the Codex Marines don't actually have that restriction :rolleyes:

I'm not sure I understand the issue. You can paint Pedro and his ilk however you want, but for rules purposes he and his ilk will be CF. I don't think it matters how you want to represent that, right? You don't need to follow that colour scheme is what I'm saying, as long as you're following the rules. 

While I'm aware you could play your pink and white Candy Lords BA successors as "Blood Angels" led by "Commander Dante" and most players wouldn't bat an eyelid, the wording in the index seems designed to forbid that. For me it kind of defeats the point of letting you use your Chapter's name as a keyword, if it then prohibits you from using certain units on an arbitrary basis.

Anyway, seems the basis of my complaint is tied to Blood Angels (and Dark Angels) rather than the Codex, and certainly doesn't seem to affect the Imperial Fists, so let's pretend I never brought it up! :wink:

Edited by Halandaar

My comment was based on the blurb in the Blood Angels section of the Index, where it specifically states that Dante can only be the Chapter Master of the Blood Angels and you can't take his rules in a successor chapter. I didn't realise that the Codex Marines don't actually have that restriction :rolleyes:.

While I'm aware you could play your pink and white Candy Lords BA successors as "Blood Angels" led by "Commander Dante" and most players wouldn't bat an eyelid, the wording in the index seems designed to forbid that. For me it kind of defeats the point of letting you use your Chapter's name as a keyword, if it then prohibits you from using certain units on an arbitrary basis.

Anyway, seems the basis of my complaint is tied to Blood Angels (and Dark Angels) rather than the Codex, and certainly doesn't seem to affect the Imperial Fists, so let's pretend I never brought it up! :wink:

No it doesn't. For all rules purposes, the key word is the only thing that determines a faction. If I played a blue army and did a "counts as blood Angels" the rules allow it 100 percent because, based on keywords, they are blood Angels.

The only thing that the rules prevent is me taking Seth along with them, because Seth can never count as a Blood Angel, as his faction key word is a hard Flesh Tearer. That means as long as I am counting my army as Blood Angels (which they are, based on the key word), then he cannot be part of it.

Rules are based off words, not colors.

I created a full company of hell fist, I use CM Paco Cantu (Pedro cantar), my chapter tactics relics etc are crimson fist. My squads each have a different shoulder pad, in a fist chapter colors and icons, like black templars, imperial fist, celestial lions, crimson fist, knights of dorm etc etc.

• 1 month later...