Tell me about Bloodthirsters

Emicus

I've got a hankering for a Supreme Command Detachment with 3x Bloodthirsters backed up by some Bloodcrushers, Flesh Hounds and Heralds of Khorne for 2k points.

​But is it going to be remotely viable? Which Bloodthirster variants do you like?

Skarbrand looks like a great upgrade for 40 points.

I don't use them, but I have fought them quite a bit. I think they are priced reasonably and pack a solid punch with good speed. I think you are right to include a 2-3 of them, so you can force your opponents to make hard choices. The one with the big ax really hurts other vehicles and monsters, but I have a bit of trouble differentiating. They all look like balrog rip-offs to me :tongue.:

One thing I would be concerned with is when you have that many points tied up in very smashy assault monsters, you might be lacking the firepower necessary to support them. Smart opponents will wrap their squishy firebases in disposable conscrips, kroot, gaunts, scarabs, ect. You do NOT want your bloodthirsters fighting these guys. Even if you wreak havoc on them, you have about 350-400 points wasted on killing a unit worth 100 or less. If anything survives they will almost certainly fall back and shoot your bloodthirster like crazy. 

Skarbrand can be a bit of a double-edged sword. Extra attacks for your 'thirsters is cool, but he buffs enemies too, which can make some things really not fun to fight. Big hordes of orks boys or tyranids don't need more attacks, and neither do daemon hunters. Skarbrand also makes everyone around him fearless, which is cool but again, means even the crappiest guardsman is going to be a thorn in your side until you put him down.

Edited by Azekai

For one thing, there are a lot of them. 134, 217, 728 to be precise. Yes, that's 134 million 217 thousand 728. From the now defunct Daemonkin book, first of all there is Aangrath, Lord of all Bloodthirsters (the FW model), then 8 'thirsters of the 1st rank who each lead 8 'thirsters of the 2nd rank, who each lead 8 'thirsters etc etc...up to the 8th rank. Crunch the numbers and you get the above figure. Each of these Bloodthirsters lead their own legion of 8 x 8 units of lesser daemons. That's a lot of daemons...

So what you are saying is a 2k list of Khorne daemons should be 2x Supreme Command Detachments with 3 BTs each - cutting out the middlemen? ;)

Tactically speaking I'm relying on 3x5 Fleshhounds to block problem units and a big block of Bloodcrushers to devour chaff units. 30-40 sword attacks and 30 horn attacks can make a large dent in my head-scenarios.

• 3 weeks later...

Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster is the best one. Its really strange that all three 'regular' Bloodthirsters are the same price. 

The Wrath of Khorne one is the only Bloodthirster who can still put out 7 Attacks at 2+ to Hit and Strength 11 while he has one Wound remaining. He also has a heavy flamer and a nasty flail. 

Skarbrand could work well with some big units of Flesh Hounds to make them immune to morale and +1 Attack. But I prefer small units so I can Deny the Witch more often, which is awesome for Khorne. 

• 2 weeks later...
I finally got to bring an'ggrath to the table and he did not disappoint. He doesn't have the damage output of skarbrand,but he was able to soak up so much damage my berzerkers and blood slaughterers made it up the table without so much as a scratch on them.

I finally got to bring an'ggrath to the table and he did not disappoint. He doesn't have the damage output of skarbrand,but he was able to soak up so much damage my berzerkers and blood slaughterers made it up the table without so much as a scratch on them.

vastly different to my game with the big angry then - he died in one turn to magnus :(