Tactics for Units: the Battle Sister Squad

The thing is, most other armies' troops are either "really good" on their own (Scions, Ork Boyz because of Mob Up) or only require one buff unit to become annoying as hell (Conscripts with a Commisar, Gaunts within Synapse). Can we really say that about Battle Sister squads? :sad.:

BSS can take advantage of AoF. Double movement? 12 inches is excellent. Double shooting? That is a lot of bolter fire. Double fighting?...Well, hey, plenty of others are meh as well! Getting a model back? Good. And we don't even require any other support to use that AoF if we're talking about a direct comparison. You can take Sisters without support easier than you could many other Troops.

Edited by CaptainMarsh

• 1 month later...

I have been using a BSS in my =][= Warband and having fun. One BSS 5 strong with a Melta gun and Heavy flamer + a Plasma pistol on the Sister Sup. They ride in a Immolater with Multi Melta and HK missile. My Canoness rides with them packing a Power maul and Combi flamer. They are always at the heart of the battle and have been great in some games. The reason for their load out is lost in the pages of old, out dated Codex's. They have been on the shelf for many of years, ever the Brides maids. Now I feel like I can't play with out them. They really add that special sauce to my mix. Most people have never run into them so they are a great way to wrong foot my opponent.

I think your list of ways to use them is at least one short. Add SSU, single small unit. They make great allies. They help unlock the bregaid with style. I often run this group out on a island without support. I think this small force makes the best use of their 1 free AoF a turn. No diminishing returns.

My only complaint is my Sister's superior is armed with a eviserator and I can't seem to have it as is anymore. Meh

I have recently stoped using my Hospitaller and Imagifier. I tried hard to make them work alongside my other small force but they have not made my recent cuts. It was to cumbersome to have them running alongside my fully loaded Immolater. They also seemed to underwlem me with their ability to multiply my small force. They seem better fit in one of the other force type's, MSU, blob.

For taking up an entire elites slot, the Hospitaller feels rather underwhelming to me as well. Imagifiers are only really useful for squads that aren't going to move faster than 6", and they can't help out vehicles period it seems.

I haven't played 8th yet. Rebuilding stuff back up after a 1 year hiatus.

I think I'll be using the old setup - 5 BSS + Immolator x4.

I think I'll go double Storm Bolter for weapons, and Twin Heavy Bolter on the Immo's. Park midfield and do what Troops should do - support.

Personally, I've always loved Troops. BSS have always been hated on, but really, if you look around, everyone complains about their Troops.

BSS have always been, and always will be the focal point of my armies. They are always the first units included and loaded out in my lists.

BSS have always been hated on, but really, if you look around, everyone complains about their Troops.

BSS were the backbone of the WH-era armies. Actually the old WH stormtroopers and chapter-approved zealots were good too, solid scoring units all around.

The WD codex made them a millstone around the neck of the army but since they were cut to 5 models in the ebook they've been the capable but inferior little sisters to the dominions.

I feel like people preferred the Stormtroopers in WH. I guess it depends on how "faithful" you were trying to make your list.

The min 10 on BSS in the WD was lame, so I sorta got that. Still brought like 4 units of them every game.

The digital update made them perfect, in my opinion. Only question was bad AOF rules and a couple points too expensive. Index addressed both of those problems very, very well.

BSS are bae.

I feel like people preferred the Stormtroopers in WH. I guess it depends on how "faithful" you were trying to make your list.

Stormtroopers were the go-to for parking lot lists (70pts, 2 plasmaguns, all day), but pairs of mechanised battle sister flamer units would reliably remove almost any infantry unit with divine guidance. Plague marines, entrenched rangers, necron blobs - all had to be wary.

Of course once the rhino was gone they lost their mobility, and a few casualties took their faith too, but that's why they were always the second wave behind the melta-celestians and their immolators.

In 8th ed the battle sisters don't really rise above the other sisters infantry aside from bringing command points and obsec. Hopefully the codex will bring back the big 20-strong units and strengthen their moral so that they can be and efficient faith-using, aura-absorbing blob rather than just a big target.

Honestly, I find myself wanting to use more basic battle sister squads for more CP, even when I'm running 100% sisters. I imagine that once sisters get their own strategems, the BSS will be worth it's weight in gold.