spraehbuer's shambles - Khârn, Orks, Terrain [02/06]

• 3 months later...

Thank you! Kyknos of Athena 

And yes after a bit of a break of posting here I have a few things to show. And one even with colour!! :eek:

I got distracted (again) by a small display/diorama I made for a couple I'm friends with. They never had heard of Warhammer before but got intrigued after seeing some of my miniatures and completely fell in love after showing them John Blanches art.

I wanted to make something for them that covers the time that I have been in the hobby, the most iconic bits connected to WH40K and that shows the mood of the universe.

So I went for a Sister of Battle and a Primaris/True scale SM, lost of skulls and something like a last stand situation. 

Since the SoB had the iconic Bolter already I thought of weapons that represent 40K the most. In my head that's Plasma weapons, Chainswords and Power fists. Since he is a big Hellboy fan I had  go for the Power fist and heavy plasma pistol combo

O463pHG.jpg

I asked them for their favourite colours which was purple for him and green for her.  So Dark Angels 4th Company and a smaller unknown Covent Sanctorum order. 

9lO7pwo.jpg w78GqNt.jpg

originally I planned them to be fixed on one base, but I thought it would be a nice opportunity to try to give them the forgeworld treatment and have them separately based but then connected on a bigger scenic base.

j0tUEmC.jpg

after adding more washes, crackling medium (which didn't work too well) and blood effects (which worked very well) here is the finished diorama:

qml2b67.jpg

5xMsAwJ.jpg

C6KspQs.jpg

hJz4FQJ.jpg

I am always a bit scared of doing faces but I am very happy how his turned out. Also very pleased with their eyes and the gold effects. And even the writing is not too bad. If I would still have it here on the table I would probably add some grime, dirt effects and a little bit weathering.

I just love the nostalgia of this thread. You're doing a fantastic job and that board is ace.

Thank you very much.

Also your Death Guard/Nurgle thread might have given me inspiration to start another small project... :blush.:

oRIzd5r.jpg

Okay, this got a bit more picture heavy than I thought. And it doesn't help that I forgot to scale them down. I think I will put the rest up in a later post

You're back! Awesome work, I can't wait to see your Death Guard.

I am indeed :smile.: Thanks again. Can't wait to get into them properly either but I'll try to wait till Killteam comes out to not get carried away

There is some progress at the SoV project:

Dreadnought Revered Venerari is almost ready to be undercoated. Just not sure how to make the base yet

Zx63hFW.jpg

6qXapu0.jpg

Apothecary Nestor, Standard Bearer, Techmarine Hephaestus also ready for an undercoat

fglLfTP.jpg

And here is Deathwing Squad WIP. still trying to work out how to do the shoulder pads. 

DEXyuuM.jpg

zRoGc5U.jpg

and one for scale

u1SzwrR.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

SoV

I was just about to undercoat the Dreadnought Venerari when I decided to make him look a bit more 2nd edition and changed his power fist flamer into a good old belt fed stormbolter.

WIP

I9j0sWA.jpg

zdYGfIM.jpg

And a little bit of an update for my scenery. I finally started working on the last door for The Dark Cathedral. For months I could not find anything that would fit in with the other doors and the rest of the scenery.

So here are some pictures of door details and the last one still wip.

XzZHnKZ.jpg

UJjXKUi.jpg

il3pMLi.jpg

5fhoKGY.jpg

since the weather is really nice these days I actually managed to undercoat some models. So be prepared for some color in this thread in the not too distant future... :eek:

• 4 weeks later...

I usually refrain from liking a picture unless it's of a completed work, but DAMN is the green stuff sculpture on that cathedral door impressive.

I'm afraid can't take credit for sculpting these. After removing the door details I just used some press molds and plasticard bits and glued them on :happy.:

hushrong Thank you. I'll try to update a bit more regularly. 

SoV

This Bad Moon Boss is ready for priming. I tried to stay close to an old boss model from the Rouge Trader days

TA6yTY6.jpg

Almost ready Goff Warboss. Still haven't found the right back pole/pack though

vPAFZas.jpg

Some progress on the beast himself: Ghazghkull (and Makari)

aFjdhM4.jpg

And here a WIP Nazdreg. Still in an early stage so he might change a bit. I had a completely different model before, but this one is quite promising...

xhTUxt9.jpg

Dam your skill with gs is crazy. Amazing stuff all round and the gs work on each model really makes them stand out. Your painting is superb too, components the workmanship greatly.

The orks are looking beastly. Eager to see how they come along!

• 5 weeks later...

Sagentus Thank you. I really try to make every model an individual in some way. But like I wrote before, most of the green stuff work is really just doing press molds of something I like and then make it fit somehow.

DuskRaider Thanks man. Hopefully I can soon show some with some colour on them :blush.:

I actually managed to do a lot more hobby work then usual, but most of the time went into some D&D figures :happy.:

But I got a few small updates for SoV.

Here is the last door after few small changes now ready to be painted.

kiF5f6r.jpg

And because I am me and I can't leave even almost finished things alone, I did have another go at the columns halfway through painting them. The speakers and lights on one side really bugged me so I decided to get rid of them and replace them. Now I can paint them to be entirely made of stone...:ermm:

M3rKHYU.jpg

tiny progress on Nazdreg. I added the belly and knee glyphs from the original model. I just changed them around because of course the moon is the most important and needs to be in the middle. Next thing to work on is his power fist. Not sure yet how to make it since I can't decide between a two or four finger claw/fist (Codex drawing vs model).

9h7s3Ks.jpg

Finally the Goff Warboss is ready for some colour! 

e4UWFQ5.jpg

HwAQz09.jpg

also here is the Mark Gibbons drawing he is based on

KeEMH10.jpg

besides that I am just painting a lot of wall sections and columns (again) in two different grey tones. And yes it is as tedious as it sounds...:sad.:

The gift you made was fantastic, very thematic and true to the spirit of 40k. I hope they appreciate it. :)
The board is coming along great, and it's exciting to see what new stuff you come up with.

Oh my days! This is fantastic.

Also started back in 2nd edition so this is lovely nostalgia for me. On top of that I have very recently been pining over 2nd edition pictures of Ork warbands. All the different clans would come together and the whole army would be very colourful. Looking at these old pics I realised all the Ork boys would belong to a different clan and would be very distinguishable. We lost all that when they released the Ork boys kit (as good as it is). Usual clan differences these days are different coloured shoulder pads. I have been considering making clear clan orks. It's so great to see that you have done it. I love it. The different heads are great, the themes and clan for the different units really comes across.

The dreads are great. Swapping the close combat weapon and guns around really makes a different to the look. Are they made from killa kans? the body seems really tall. How did you do these?

Loving the old style Ghaz and Naz.

Your doing great stuff here. Looking forward to more.

Oh man, the terrain is looking sweet! I still love the additional GS work you have added plus the modeled stonework of the terrain look perfectly grim dark. It seriously makes me think of the good ol' black and white artwork from only a few years back.

The orks are also fantastic! I love the use of that big AoS ork fro Nazdreg. I've only flirted with orks in the Blood Bowl game but I have always wanted to see that guy as a proper 40k boss. Speaking of bosses the Goff Warboss is old school cool! I am excited to see him get some paint. Any chance of him getting a banner/pole? It'd make a nice piece to complete the homage.

Thank you so much for the nice comments guys!!

As I wrote before, the two main colours I'm painting right now are grey :wacko.: so I needed a bit of a moral boost :happy.:

The dreads are great. Swapping the close combat weapon and guns around really makes a different to the look. Are they made from killa kans? the body seems really tall. How did you do these?

The Goff dread is a normal Deff Dread with some extra plasicard and everything toned down a bit (spikes and shoulder pads cut off etc.) to make it more roundish like the old can. The Bad Moon one is indeed made out of two Killa Kans. I used one normal torso with the top arm sockets (and removed the ones for the legs) and the bottom half of another one with the second arm and the leg sockets. A bit of greenstuff and some glyphs to seal any gaps. 

Speaking of bosses the Goff Warboss is old school cool! I am excited to see him get some paint. Any chance of him getting a banner/pole? It'd make a nice piece to complete the homage.

Yeah I thought about it but did't have any good ideas for it and then looked for excuses not to make one instead...:blush.:

But with your comment I realised that I actually want to give him one. So now I decided I will just leave some space for a magnet so I can start painting and give him one later. 

Going through the SoV project I noticed that I have everything build and ready to be painted for Scenario 2 Dark Cathedral.

Ork Forces

WDyDarh.jpg

Space Marine Forces

A9zkzUS.jpg

Battlefield

vqXScvX.jpg

Since we have a guest over this week I won't have space to build anything. But that also means I have no excuse not to paint something instead if I find the time :sweat:

• 4 months later...
So... well... erm yeah... obviously I haven't updated in quite a while :blush.:
Not too much news on my two big main projects since I was quite busy with non 40K stuff (D&D) for a while and then I got distracted by Kill Team.

I liked the idea to make a team for each Chaos God. So I cobbled together some prototypes
BMfeIRa.jpg

and here is what I got done so far
Khorne
Cultists
rOKmNi4.jpg
73ymcKi.jpg
wbAh0uO.jpg

I know Khorne Berserkers are not a thing in Kill Team but who cares...
shzL0oE.jpg
oyA5h5s.jpg

lead by The Butcher
EkqGudn.jpg

Nurgle
Poxwalkers
hJZAlhK.jpg

the rest of Nurgle, Slaanesh and Tzeentch are still very much WIP

And then Rogue Trader came along :whistling:
I really like the Rogue Trader models but since I can't leave anything alone I had to make a few changes. I tried to keep it simple and close to the originals.
gDfMOXC.jpg
Y4N9G4S.jpg
WwcgroY.jpg
S9TmOcy.jpg
0qOagev.jpg
IwOmbU5.jpg

RffJtAY.jpg

The doors were in need of details and a few changes on the consoles. Eventually I will add details to the escape pods, but that will take a bit more work.
rmnENfg.jpg
7GVqzFJ.jpg
o5dRaS4.jpg

And talking about Rogue Trader, here is another Kill Team I started working on:sweat:
Highly inspired by the battle of the farm and the Rogue Trader/2nd edition rulebook cover...

fIJKQdS.jpg

Aaand properly started a GSC:sleep:  Since they are very true to the second edition look already most changes are very subtle. 
But here are some of the bigger changes.
I thought of the Aberrants as some kind of Preatorian/Bodyguard for the Patriarch.

gxofKHf.jpg

they are lead by a Lieutenant

ClmybV6.jpg

And here the big chief himslef. I'm making very slow progress with him since I'm not really sure which direction to go with him. I'm thinking about making him bigger, more like the original.

h8duEKh.jpg

So happy to see you posting again. That Genestealer Cult looks great, it definitely reminds me of the old 2nd Edition artwork. Especially with the Patriarch sitting on his throne. 

Really digging the mods you made to the Rogue Trader models. To be honest, I never liked the Rogue Trader herself, I think it was something with her head and the odd angle of her reaching for her pistol... just looks way too unnatural and awkward. The head swap does a ton for that model.

I like the idea of different Kill Teams for the different God-Specific Legions and I'm loving the World Eaters so far. Who cares if they don't have great rules at this point in KT, I think the game itself gives you the opportunity to crank out some unique and characterful models and you've done exactly that.