spraehbuer's shambles - Khârn, Orks, Terrain [02/06]

ColdWinter thank you very much :smile.:

At the moment I'm busy painting all the stonework. columns, walls etc. but halfway through I got a little distracted...

It took me a few days to get all the pieces together but here is the first WIP picture of

Belial, Master of the 3rd Company

tJu8NXt.jpg

well, since I don't know how to get rid off my double post

have a very early WIP picture of

Blood Angels Brother-Captain Tycho, Commander of the 3rd Company...

lCzHkdR.jpg

Any updates on these two? Quoted to bring these awesome figures to the current page.

Also, what did you use for Belial's breastplate? A cut down banner top?  It fits wonderfully, whatever it is.

Love your terrain and I really love the throwback theme.  Looking forward to more.

Everything is magnificent!

thank you!

So happy to see you posting again. That Genestealer Cult looks great, it definitely reminds me of the old 2nd Edition artwork. Especially with the Patriarch sitting on his throne. 

Really digging the mods you made to the Rogue Trader models. To be honest, I never liked the Rogue Trader herself, I think it was something with her head and the odd angle of her reaching for her pistol... just looks way too unnatural and awkward. The head swap does a ton for that model.

I like the idea of different Kill Teams for the different God-Specific Legions and I'm loving the World Eaters so far. Who cares if they don't have great rules at this point in KT, I think the game itself gives you the opportunity to crank out some unique and characterful models and you've done exactly that. 

Thank you very much! As usual, your comments are much appreciated. I really need to post more regularly... and maybe comment a bit more as well:blush.: ...

Yeah I don't know how they could mess up the rogue trader. She should be the one standing out amongst all the others with her presence ...and they covered her face!?:dry.:

And that were exactly my thoughts with Kill Team. We will make some house rules for the Berzerkers and any other unit people want to use. KT is ideal for that kind of things

What a massive update, great work all around.

I see you've been bitten by the beaky bug as well. :biggrin.:

Love the patriarch on the throne.

Thank you and yes, the beakies where in my head for a while now but I didn't want to start another big project so I took the opportunity for a small kill team :happy.:

What an inspiring thread!

Thank you,  my skills are not the best/worst but i think I got pretty good ideas. A lot of them coming from this forum. And if by sharing them get others to become creative again that's exactly what I want to achieve :smile.:

Very nice work all around, hard to point out anything as my favourite because it is all really good. :thumbsup:

This is your fault!! You made me do this!!! ...well, you were definitely one of those who contributed to this mess :biggrin.: Your Gothic Pattern Marines got me into true scaling. I still have some cut up chaos warriors somewhere...  and since I thought I would never be able to do a full Company of these guys, I decided to only make the ones for the Storm of Vengeance campaign. Which led to the whole 2nd edition idea etc... so thanks I guess :wink:

Any updates on these two? Quoted to bring these awesome figures to the current page.

Also, what did you use for Belial's breastplate? A cut down banner top?  It fits wonderfully, whatever it is.

Love your terrain and I really love the throwback theme.  Looking forward to more.

Thanks, unfortunately no updates really on these guys and tbh it might take a while till I get back to them since Kill Team just took over :unsure.:

I wasn't surewhere I got Belials breastplate from, but I found it after a quick search: It's one of the Landspeeder Vengeance torsos 
Edited by spraehbuer

Very nice work all around, hard to point out anything as my favourite because it is all really good. :thumbsup:

This is your fault!! You made me do this!!! ...well, you were definitely one of those who contributed to this mess :biggrin.: Your Gothic Pattern Marines got me into true scaling. I still have some cut up chaos warriors somewhere...  and since I thought I would never be able to do a full Company of these guys, I decided to only make the ones for the Storm of Vengeance campaign. Which led to the whole 2nd edition idea etc... so thanks I guess :wink:

Well I'm glad I did inspire you to try your hand at truescaling because you have done a fantastic job. I think you have done a fantastic job at sticking to a theme and your green stuff work is really nice, I especially like the scouts, it's not very often that you see something like that. Top notch stuff mate and I will definitely be watching this thread. :tu:

• 3 weeks later...

Well I'm glad I did inspire you to try your hand at truescaling because you have done a fantastic job. I think you have done a fantastic job at sticking to a theme and your green stuff work is really nice, I especially like the scouts, it's not very often that you see something like that. Top notch stuff mate and I will definitely be watching this thread. :thumbsup:

Thank you very much!:blush.:

The death guard kill team is almost ready to be primed. Just need to add a few more details to the bases. I tried to make them more distinct from each other than the Berzerkers (DuskRaider, I hope you will be pleased :wink: ) and tied them together as one unit by giving them all the belly moth as their unit symbol.

Plague Champion
3D4Ar7S.jpg

Plague Marine Gunner and Fighters 
CofAkV1.jpg

Plague Marines
mmGdLJ6.jpg

The escape pods and command chairs are now done to a point they feel gothic/40k enough to me. ...and I added some more details to the consoles.
Sblv0XZ.jpg jCsQQY5.jpg
abfMo96.jpg E35KsGq.jpg
PXNqHd8.jpg 6rtfcjb.jpg

and another quick head swap I forgot to post before...
Hn3ZjQH.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A while ago I took some pictures of my gaming board tiles. My Idea was to put them all together and send it out to DeepCut Studio to be made into a gaming mat.
After several emails to them back and forth asking for advice and sending them sample pictures, I ordered a dice tray as reference for colours and contrast.
pN1LJm9.jpg

Besides very few minor things I was quite pleased with it.

So I made a few small adjustments and ordered the 3'x2' mat...

LFwyU5k.jpg QE8xYfC.jpg vJcFsKb.jpg

my crappy phone pictures don't do it justice. so here a comparison picture in really bad light :rolleyes:
left side the mat on the right the board ...and yes the mat looks better
HJ8lDNz.jpg

I am very pleased with the print. It looks absolutely fantastic. 

MOTHER OF GOD...

Brother, those Plague Marines are fantastic! I love how you used Blight Lords to make them, I bet they're monstrous compared to human sized models. I can't wait to see some paint on these behemoths!

Great work on the terrain as well. It looks much more fitting now, as does the head swap on the Death Cult model.

• 1 month later...

MOTHER OF GOD...

Brother, those Plague Marines are fantastic! I love how you used Blight Lords to make them, I bet they're monstrous compared to human sized models. I can't wait to see some paint on these behemoths!

Great work on the terrain as well. It looks much more fitting now, as does the head swap on the Death Cult model.

Hahaha! Thank you! They are chunky fellas. Not ideal for Kill Team but who cares if they look good:happy.:

I started a strict painting regime of at least 15 min per day to get through my miniatures backlog and it does work really well so far. I actually managed to put some paint on the DG over the last few weeks.

So here are the finished Plague Marines 

zBc8QM6.jpg

ykBjog0.jpg

USjBaSu.jpg

Overall I am quite happy with how they came out. Maybe the helmet lenses  and slime I could have done better. And for some of the smaller details I could have made more effort. I am very pleased with the rust effects and the subtle blood spray effects. I didn't want the blood to be overwhelming since there are already rust and slime going on... and they are DG not Khorne Berzerkers

eJuvdyq.jpg

and here some scale shots for DuskRaider :biggrin.:

ZyT3jM8.jpg

LuG18rn.jpg

and on to the Poxwalkers...

• 1 month later...

Impressive work.

Thank you. I am glad you like it :happy.:

finished the Poxwalkers a while ago. I wanted them to stand out a bit more for Kill Team and listening to Dark Imperium inspired me to make them into soldiers. The crackle paint didn't work that well for some reason so I went for the slimy skin in the end instead of cracked and dry 

TqLAChd.jpg

For the Khorne Berzerkers I tried a more 2nd edition colour scheme. The red armour parts are made of two different red tones stippled on a third red base colour. Not sure it was worth the effort since it's not very visible. The blood is really difficult to photograph since it is reflecting  and blends in very well with the armour. which is kind of what I wanted but unfortunately not easy to show :blush.:

drALRsV.jpg

d1jEZnT.jpg

Pmy5P4t.jpg

HZiLWDf.jpg

and on to the Khorne cultists...

• 3 weeks later...

Your efforts honor the Blood God.

Haha! :devil: Thanks 

I added some shell casings to the bases to make them a little more interesting and tie them to the board a bit more. And I added some Blood for the Blood god in addition to my normal Tamiya blood mix, for some fresh blood.

UD60FYv.jpg

And here are the finished cultists:

fEye6iO.jpg

oiPTWm6.jpg

iKrCXdd.jpg

That's both 'Kill Teams' done!!

a7YeeuT.jpg

SoV

Now I can go back to my big projects...

If you follow this thread for the terrain you might remember me going over the pillars again and adding green stuff after I already started putting paint on them...

well, I got a bit annoyed with the cathedral walls when I started painting them and it was always a pain to take them apart... so I added the miracle of magnetism

Qf66zw2.jpg

I always thought of these walls and board of being the choir/retrochoir of a cathedral. Since I started to like the idea of fighting through the whole building, I'm now working on the Entrance hall with Nave/Aisle, and the Apse/Ambulatory. Not sure how far I'll go with it yet but the idea is to use different terrain kits since each is kind of their own little area. This should give it some variety. Let's see how it goes...

Man I love looking through this log! The berzerkers and the cultists look fantsdtic! I also love the magnetized wall. I need to do something like that with the current stuff GW is pumping out for when I stack multiple levels

• 1 month later...

Man I love looking through this log! The berzerkers and the cultists look fantsdtic! I also love the magnetized wall. I need to do something like that with the current stuff GW is pumping out for when I stack multiple levels

Thank you very much. And yes the magnetizing those was a bit of work but definitely payed off. Will do it with the rest of cathedral too 

This thread’s a dang ol’ treasure! Really loving the Orks.

Thank you! Glad you enjoy it. I love working on the Orks just painting them takes me ages for some reason :unsure.:

Well done. I appreciate the effort you put in adding bloody footprints on the Chaos worshipers' bases.

Thanks :smile.:  I think it's the little details which always stand out and elevate even a basic model/paint job 

I like the stark contrast of glistening bright red and black on the Berzerkers, good stuff.

Your kill teams are giving me the hots to make a kill team of my own.

Yeah I saw that old paint scheme a long time ago and always wanted to use it. I love the classic red and gold but this was too good of an opportunity to pass. I'm looking forward to your kill teams!!

So as usual it has been a while... I will probably never update this regularly :whistling:

CHAOS

First things first, I completely forgot to post this guy. While I was working on the Khorne Berzerkers I also worked on him:

1HQp84R.jpg

CbupS3u.jpg

Like all the other characters it will probably take a while till I finish him completely. But I decided that after one of my projects is done I will start a small chaos army:happy.:

ORKS

I finally added the magnetized banner pole hushrong was asking for, to the Goff Warboss. Still painting the second batch of Goff Orks at the moment but after that it will be his turn.

5Bvj6x3.jpg

Started working on the 40 Gretchins :blink.:... 

CiYwYu4.jpg

I used bits from more than 5 different kits and still have a lot of green stuff work ahead of me :wallbash:

so I got frustrated, needed distraction and then this happened:

dRgDtez.jpg

yes, I know. We finally got new models after so many years and I try to make them look like the old ones.

The Ork dreadnought got his banner and a couple of cables and has now finally moved to the painting shelf

ocmZGbi.jpg

Ghazghkull is making veeeery sloooow progress. I'm a bit scared to mess him up to be honest. At the moment I'm just adding little bits that I'm 100% sure about.

opmnVOh.jpg

TERRAIN

With the Apse I'm waiting for a few pieces and then I have to figure out how to magnetize it.

xTxjSix.jpg

Here is a picture what was in my mind as blue print for the cathedral

BoHcR3U.jpg

...and I did a bit of a mock up to see how everything is falling into place and to give you guys an idea where I am going with this :happy.:

qniCwlJ.jpg

D1G1j9F.jpg

The street tiles are place holders. For those I got something else on my mind...

...and back to those Gretchins I guess

simply jaw dropping update! That board just keeps looking better and better! Looking forward to seeing some carnage take place on it in the near future.

I'm loving the Ork updates. Can't wait to see the Warboss and the Goffs painted up. And all those gretchins are going to be one sight! Ghazghkull, the trukks, and the kan are also coming along nicely.

And lastly. Khârn. Oh my Blood God he looks great!