1st Company club - including Calgar Wings

Captain Idaho

Hmm, I think I may give my 1st company a try this weekend.  Originally it was a pride of the legion army for the horus heresy, however since my group has completely switched over to 8th (and will be converting over heresy stuff to 8th ed rules for our campaigns).

Currently I have:

A praetor in tartaros armor (used as a terminator captain)

5 cataphractii with a heavy flamer

5 lightning claw cataphractii

5 tartaros with an autocannon and a volkite

10 tartaros with double autocannon and a volkite

a contemptor with a multimelta

a kheres contemptor mortis

and as for non heresy models,

5 sternguard with bolters and a heavy flamer

and a land raider redeemer

I would like to add another 5 sternguard to the squad as well as some assault terminators.  I am also thinking about converting up Saul Invictus using one of the spare plasma blasters I have lying around.

Since I will be playing some fate of Konor games this weekend I'll let you all know how it goes!

Brothers, I did promise a picture of the 1st Company Veterans I own so here it is led by Guilliman and Calgar.

This is the 1st Company that I have fully painted minus Pods and Rhinos/Razorbacks for the Sternguard.

gallery_93433_12432_807.jpg

I'd be interested to see everyone else's 1st Company Vets if you guys have pictures of your own.

Courage and Honour.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking of a 2000pts 1st Company list along the lines of...:

Vanguard Detatchment

Cataphractii Captain - Relic Blade and Combi-plasma

8 Cataphractii Terminators - Sergeant and 1 man get Chainfist, 3x power fists and 3x Lightning Claws

Venerable Dreadnought - Twin Lascannon and Missile Launcher

Contemptor - Kheres Assault Cannon

Vanguard Detatchment

HQ - still up in the air. Maybe a Terminator Librarian, maybe Calgar but then the Cataphractii Captain is surplus to requirements.

10 Sternguard - Sergeant with Lightning Claw and Combi-plasma, 2x plasma guns and the rest special issue bolters.

Drop Pod

10 Sternguard - Sergeant with Lightning Claw and Special issue bolter, 2x Heavy Flamers and the rest with Special Issue Bolters.

Rhino

Now the list is 1625pts but I actually consider it fairly powerful. What additional models would people consider adding to bring it to 2000pts,baring in mind I haven't settled on an HQ yet. Maybe just a Lieutenant or Chaplain to join a Rhino borne Vanguard?

I'm thinking of a 2000pts 1st Company list along the lines of...:

Vanguard Detatchment

Cataphractii Captain - Relic Blade and Combi-plasma

8 Cataphractii Terminators - Sergeant and 1 man get Chainfist, 3x power fists and 3x Lightning Claws

Vanguard Detatchment

HQ - still up in the air. Maybe a Terminator Librarian, maybe Calgar but then the Cataphractii Captain is surplus to requirements.

10 Sternguard - Sergeant with Lightning Claw and Combi-plasma, 2x plasma guns and the rest special issue bolters.

Drop Pod

10 Sternguard - Sergeant with Lightning Claw and Special issue bolter, 2x Heavy Flamers and the rest with Special Issue Bolters.

Rhino

Now the list is 1625pts but I actually consider it fairly powerful. What additional models would people consider adding to bring it to 2000pts,baring in mind I haven't settled on an HQ yet. Maybe just a Lieutenant or Chaplain to join a Rhino borne Vanguard?

Perhaps a venerable dreadnought with twin lascannon and missile launcher, as it brings a good anti air element to your army without a degrading profile.

Calgar is still a good choice due to his CP boost, if he is warlord, and it may be a vital boost to have 7 instead of 5.

Maybe a heavy bolter in the sternguard to make use of the mortal wound strategem? Not sure how effective it would be but it certainly opens up an interesting possibility.

Yes the Hellfire Strategum is amazing and I thought that myself.

Also, the above is supposed to include a Venerable Dreadnought with that exact load out sorry.

Great minds and all that!

I'm thinking Calgar is the obvious choice here eh. Which means I might remove the Cataphractii Captain.

*** post edited to reflect Venerable Dreadnought

Great minds think alike, but fools rarely differ. Hopefully we are the former.

Calgar would definately be the obvious choice, but as always it doesnt mean you have too, as the Cataphractii armour does look amazing. Aesthetics over utility can sometimes be a good choice if your just aiming for fun.

Perhaps a Land Raider Crusader instead of the rhino, as the extra anti infantry power may help when running quite a small elite army.

I have also found chaplains to be a great addition, especially as Ultra CT makes him had out Ld 10 like its going out of style. Definately a good choice if you were to consider adding a vanguard unit, maybe without jump packs, as a counter charge unit to defend your sternguard.

I have always wanted a Crusader actually ;)

I love my Cataphractii Captain so it's a tough one to drop him lol!

I have been thinking that Vanguard, whilst cheaper, are an inferior choice to Sternguard. Sternguard still have 2 attacks each and can shoot better on the way into combat. They're pretty powerful.

Of course if I arm up the Vanguard they're superior but then they're more expensive.

I will say being able to use my Crusader this edition without it being turned to molten sludge instantly has been nice, and when it gets into rapid fire range (i think my best friend still has nightmares) it can clear light infantry like a dyson over crumbs.

With vanguard they are definately outclassed in shooting by sternguard but a sgt with lightning claws or TH, a couple of power weapons and plasma pistols you should come out with a nice little unit to punch a hole in something especially if they are backed up by a chaplain. Variety is the spice of life or so i hear anyway.

Other than that perhaps some flier support but it doesnt fit really well fluffwise, because if your sending 1st company in en masse you probably need to take outa high priority target that is well guarded from air strikes.

If you're taking a Crusader I can thoroughly recommend Sergeant Chronus. The wording of his 'Tank Commander' skill means that even as the tank degrades you still use his 2+ to hit. Restoring a wound a turn is pretty handy too.

• 2 weeks later...

The first company is annoyingly good compared to the rest of the Chapter. Having played a game with my Calgar plus Librarian plus two venerable dreadnoughts plus twenty five terminators 2000 point list, terminators now are what they were supposed to be. Durable, with a lot of anti-infantry firepower and some anti-tank (I take mainly cyclones) and still being decent beaters in melee.

The Vanguard detachment allows a great selection. Vanguard for jump pack infantry. Command Squads for bikes. Sternguard for ranged infantry. Terminators for durable shooting and melee. Dreadnoughts, especially Venerable Dreadnoughts (love my Venerable Dreadnoughts) for more ranged and melee ability. I just don't find much else in the codex worth taking.

I've always wanted to do a termie army, so here's what I'm thinking of:

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [70 PL, 1255pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

**Chapter Selection**: Ultramarines

+ HQ +

Marneus Calgar [10 PL, 200pts]: Terminator Armour

+ Elites +

Terminator Squad [12 PL, 211pts]: Teleport Homer

. Terminator: Power fist, Storm bolter

. Terminator Sergeant: Power sword, Storm bolter

. Terminator w/Heavy Weapon: Assault cannon, Power fist

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [36 PL, 736pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

**Chapter Selection**: Ultramarines

+ HQ +

Techmarine [4 PL, 76pts]: Combi-plasma, Power maul, Servo-arm, The Armour Indomitus

+ Elites +

Venerable Dreadnought [8 PL, 165pts]: Missile launcher, Twin lascannon

++ Total: [106 PL, 1991pts] ++

I have a couple of specific questions: should I make some ten-man terminator squads? as it is I can't DS them all. Also, would a lieutenant be better for the backfield than the techmarine?

I think a cheeky Lieutenant can be good to boost the anti tank/monster ability of the Venerables. The reroll is golden.

Having said that, healing models is annoying for opponents and that can work wonders. I'm thinking of putting a Techmarine in my own lists too.

Overall I like the list. Have you play tested it?

I think a cheeky Lieutenant can be good to boost the anti tank/monster ability of the Venerables. The reroll is golden.

Having said that, healing models is annoying for opponents and that can work wonders. I'm thinking of putting a Techmarine in my own lists too.

Overall I like the list. Have you play tested it?

Purely at the planning stage, at the moment; still deciding whether to go for an Ultramarines or one of their successors - all depends on the colour scheme :).

I fear GW won't expand our existing Space Marines models any more but yes I'll totally add a Plasma Blaster to any character I can get my hands on.

It's a shame Tartarus Terminators are hogging the Plasma Blasters really. I'd love my Cataphractii Terminators to sport a couple as their heavy weapon choices.

Yeah no one will want a heavy weapon when they can get an assault weapon.

Maybe if we make enough conversions and kit bashes of Plasma Blasters and send them in as a collage of our fandom, GW might upgrade us.

In fact, GW should release a weapon sprue so Terminators and the like can have new wargear to represent Guilliman's return opening the vaults and the forge worlds ramping up production. *nudge nudge wandering GW scribes*

So if anyone would know this it's you guys in here. I'm not going to try to replicate it exactly, but is there an "Official" break down of the U 1st company that incorporates any of the newer available models? The best I found was a (not sure if official) pic showing them being 20 sternguard, 20 jump pack vanguard, 40 Indomitus termies and 20 Indomitus assault termies. Is it safe to assume they're really just 100 vets (plus officers) who use whatever is available and needed? So far I've gathered a mix of Indomitus, Tartaros, and Cataphractii, though the latter 2 seem missing from official pics of the 1st.

(And yes, I think I'm mostly being paranoid that eventually someone will call my 1st company out as "inauthentic" more than the painting already does. )

Archived