1st Company club - including Calgar Wings

Captain Idaho

My head canon has mine as late-heresy/scouring, and started as an outlet for all my armor marks that were late/post heresy, so I'm not too worried. They all have red helmets instead of traditional white anyway, so in my mind they're something like XIII Legion 32nd Chapter 1st Heavy Armored Company, who will eventually be spun off into some second founding chapter. But still, it never hurts to see if there were any unwritten rules or trends that are work working with.

Terminator armour is an honour so I imagine they would freely exchange their Terminator users with more ancient suits depending on the mission and who has earnt it. (Subjective then)

They talk of the Vanguard and Sternguard being 2 halves of the Company so it's logical to assume there are 50 of each. We don't know about how this translates into what Terminator armour they wear so it gives you interpretation.

Personally I'd say that even Vanguard might wear standard Terminator armour armed with Storm Bolters rtf as they are still assault units. Most likely these squads are just more aggressively deployed.

Similar to the composition question, I'm building a squad of 10 (mixed) MkIII vanguard. The 2 questions I'd like opinions on:

1. Jump packs are probably the way to go, vs. footslogging or riding in a Raider?

2. I'm building 4 with Hammers and Shields, and 2 with twin Claws. Any opinions or good experience with Loadout? I figure the hammers mitigate the need for fists. Is it worth sprinkling in some axes or swords, or does it make more sense to keep the remaining 4 simple with chainswords? Plasma Pistol: worth giving them a couple for when they drop (if jump packs), or just plan on melee?

Thanks again for any feedback y'all have.

I don't think they're durable enough to survive footslogging. I'd go with jump packs myself, but then I'm in the "terminator, jump pack, dreadnought, or bike" camp. Don't drop nine inches from the enemy and hope for the charge, drop out of sight then use their improved mobility to bully weaker units.

Weapons are tricky because with only one wound they really want to thin out their opponents before they get hit back. In theory I kind of like the twin-plasma pistol combination, for dual shooting both at range and in melee. If you have a Captain nearby you can even overcharge for the equivalent of two power fist attacks that hit on a 3+. Of course they're not getting any benefits during the actual melee phase.

A power sword and a plasma pistol gives a melee bonus (the -3 AP) and the pistol shooting, so that's quite good. It is cheaper than two plasma pistols, IIRC. A power axe gives a strength boost, the -2AP, and it still leaves a hand free for the plasma pistol. Lightning claws I'd only take in pairs.

Thunder hammers are obviously the best "-1 to hit" option if you can get them. The only question is whether they are safe on a 1 wound model. I'd be more inclined to run them on bike command squads where they have two wounds apiece. Unless you're going full storm shield it might be an idea to split up the storm shields and the thunder hammers. Since you now decide who takes the hit, you can choose to take the saves on the storm shield guys without worrying that you're going to lose the thunder hammer on a bad roll. Storm shield plus chainsword gives you 3 attacks in melee, and thunder hammer plus plasma pistol gives you quite a lot of death dealing ability.

I too have reservations on expensive Thunder Hammers on models designed to take the hits. The Storm shield dudes are there to protect the squad so a Storm Shield and Chainsword is ideal.

In a unit of 10, I'd go 3 Storm Shields, 3 Bolt Pistol and Chainswords (to take small arms to protect the Storm Shields and add attacks) and then have the last 4 models armed with the exotic weapons.

I'm all about power axes. They hit just as hard as mauls VS the majority of opponents yet hurt armour more.

And now I have two Cataphractii squads.

I think I might be addicted to terminators.

It's not an addiction until you have more than 104. 100 veterans, Librarian, chaplain, company captain, and chapter master. Allowances will be made on a case by case basis for apothecary, ancient, techmarine, and company champions despite non-adherance to the codex. In the event you have passed the acceptable number, please report to the chaplaincy or apothecarion for proper treatment.

And now I have two Cataphractii squads.

I think I might be addicted to terminators.

I suppose one advantage of terminators is small armies don't burn through command points as fast as larger armies do.

Cataphractii from Betrayal at Calth being so cheap when it first released was such an enticement, I ended up buying way more than I would ever use for my Pride of the Legion force.  With HH failing to really take off locally, I'm probably going to use them in 40k, in friendly games most likely where I can just have them stand in for normal terminators (of which I also have a ton).

Yeah no-one I know wanted to play HH with me but I am enjoying having a whole Space Marines army from 2 Betrayal at Calth boxed sets.

Cataphractii look amazing. To me, the best Terminator style going. I just wish GW invested in the existing Marines line to upgrade things like them instead of Primaris but hey ho. I just want plasma blasters so when they teleport they are more dangerous. They are very slow!

On that note, anyone have any conversions of Librarians using Cataphractii?

That and most of my power armour infantry will be Mk IV armour, with these Mk IV jump packs I found on eBay. I have some Chaos/Imperium Fallen made with Mk III armour, originally made for Shadow War: Armageddon, who'll be led by Cypher. Since they're Imperium I could use Inquisitor Greyfax or Coteaz and some Adeptus Custodes in the same detachment, maybe some Sisters of Silence (psychic powers? we don't need no stinking psychic powers).

So I took inventory of what I have, and I learnt I have a plastic addiction. I wanted to see how much of a 1st company I could build with spending little to no money. I ended up needing only 12 terminators, and had enough kits and bitz lying around to build the rest of the 1st. So $75us later on some very discounted, untouched termies and I'm shortly in possession of:

Marneus Calgar (Conversion)

Cataphractii Captain

Indomitus Librarian

Indomitus Chaplain

20 Assorted Sternguard

20 Assorted Vanguard with Jump Packs

10 Cataphractii (First Squad and Captain's retinue)

10 Tartaros fire support squad

10 Tartaros melee squad

2x5 Indomitus with Assault Cannon

2x5 Indomitus Assault Squads

2x5 Indomitus fire support squad with Cyclones

2 to 4 Land Raiders

Assorted RH1N0 or Drop Pods for the Sternguard.

The infantry come to little over 5000pts by themselves. Advice or opinion on what I should add to break up the monotony of painting Infantry? I have an unknown number of Predators or old metal Predator pieces, as well as a ton of unclaimed bikes and some Land Speeders. It's unlikely half these models will ever see tabletop play, so it's pretty much a time filler and for bragging rights, so I want things that'll look awesome more than things that are super tactically sound.

I usually do some rank and file, then a character, then some more rank and file, then a vehicle, the rank and file...

Occasionally it's okay to add a completely different model to the mix to stop yourself going mad.

I find that I need a break here and there and take a week off a project. Getting back into it this week myself with some power armoured dudes.

It's Army Painter Ultramarines Blue, then their Blue wash, then a touchup with the basecoat, and some edge highlighting with a 50/50 mix of UB and Wolf Grey. It's a straightforward scheme that'll be easy to keep up across an army.

My first thousand points will be Captain Marcus (above) two five man squads of Cataphractii, and two Venerable Dreadnoughts with las/missile. Dreadnoughts are quite good for filling up points when you can't fit in a squad of terminators.

Yeah I found that. Dreadnoughts are back this edition though only the Venerable and Contemptor types in my opinion.

For the most part. Sweeping comments aside, Dreadnoughts aren't too shabby but for only a few points more the Contemptor and Venerable are so much better.

Besides, the 1st Company Club, or 1CC, likes it's veteran Dreads ;)

I was just comparing bike squads with company veterans on bikes, and a three man veteran squad, combi-grav, two grav, all chainswords, is 155, and three bikes, combi-grav, two grav, is 128. While they're equivalent in shooting and durability, the Veterans do have 10 attacks in combat compared to 4 from the bike squad. The Veterans shoot like bikes, but fight like assault marines, and for a mere 27 points difference, I think it's worth it.

I'd never thought of the bike idea. I actually like it to add some on-table mobility, as well as give me another unit that doesn't need or want to deep strike in.

I really didn't need even more minis to paint though, but I've got plenty of bikes lying around. Hmmmm...

Archived