I`ve got a game next Monday with a friend of mine... me thinks I`m gonna have to give this a go :wink: 

*Edit* And there's the brilliant moment when you google true-scaling and in the suggestion box is Apologist's name :wink:

Edited by Soulhunter1995

w.jpg

Today, we've got the first Alien Wars battle report: The Battle for Geo-Station Erpes

Based on the classic Rogue Trader scenario The Battle for the Farm, and named after a throwaway caption in the same publication, this is an 8th edition game between Luggub's Drop Legion and Bob Hunk's awesome Crimson Fists.

t.jpg 

o.jpg

The battlefield is again based on the original scenario:

c.JPG

Hope you enjoy – would love to hear what you think.

w.jpg

+Link to the battle report+

If you fancy giving it a go yourself, here's a link to the mission

Cracking battle report! love it, reminds me of my youth spent reading the old style awesome bat reps in white dwarfs of old.

Also helped you had a nice table and stunning models! Looking foward to the next bat rep!

Cracking battle report! love it, reminds me of my youth spent reading the old style awesome bat reps in white dwarfs of old.

Also helped you had a nice table and stunning models! Looking foward to the next bat rep!

Brilliant – glad to have stoked some nostalgia.

Great stuff, the narrative feel to your forces and games is brilliant and transforms them from just a game with toy soldiers to something with much more feeling.

Absolutely; if this project shows anything, it's the importance of connecting with the story behind your army, and working out how you can work with other people to contribute to a shared setting, inspiring each other while having fun. 

Great battle report. Looks like a fun mission to boot.

Cheers – why not give it a try?

I loved reading the battle report and I'm hard at work on my Alien Wars contribution! 

Looking forward to seeing it; I know you've got something special on the brew :)

Absolutely loving this.

Almost has a War of the Roses in space feel to it.

Yeah, the more subtle political side of 40k has so much potential. The struggle between Rome and Constantinople was my initial inspiration, but at heart, most civil wars fit the broad scheme.

The Adeptus Mechanicus have proven a popular source of models, so their 'Origin of an Empire' article has been bumped to the top of the queue. This gives an overview of the Mechanicus of the time. Like late Constantinople, the Mechanicus are becoming increasingly religious and inward-looking. I hope this article gives any aspiring tech-magi an Alien Wars palette to work your individual magic upon.Hope it's both useful and fun:

[+ Origin of An Empire: The Divided Mechanicus +]

Alien%2BWars%2Bgalaxy%2Bmap%2B%28Adeptus

Foremost amongst the principal factions were:

• Adeptus Mechanicus – sometimes referred to as the 'Adeptus Mechanicus Maior'; this was the largest, most influential and most conservative faction, continuing to serve the greater Imperium under Ancient Terra, and to have a seat on the High Lords. 
  • Neomechanicus – Also known as the Adeptus Mechanicus Minor, the preferred title was 'United Neomechanicus forces of Segmentum Pacificus', but it quickly became known simple as the Neomechanicus. This group was supposedly formed as a self-policing independent group of Forge Worlds within the seceding Segmentum Pacificus, in order to ensure compliance with Martian edicts during the crisis. In essence, it was a puppet state, though the Neomechanicus was forced to make a number of difficult compromises and harbour certain individuals that meant a gradual drift away from Martian rule began almost immediately. Outwardly staunchly loyal to Mars, the Neomechanicus' main distinguishing feature from their parent was their strict application of the wording of the Treaty of Olympus Mons, which means that the Archmagi of their Forge Worlds – with varying degrees of eagerness and reluctance – continued to supply the worlds of the Nova Terran Imperium. 
  • Praximal Adherents – A small group of Forge Worlds, principally in the Segmentum Solar, rallied around the Forge World Praximal to defend its right to recognise itself as truly independent. In essence, the Praximal Adherents promoted secession not just from the Imperium, but from the broader Imperium itself. That such rebellion was tolerated for so long was a mark both of how stretched Imperial resources were at this time, and the unwillingness of the High Lords to officially recognise – and thus legitimise – a second powerful group of Secessionists. 
  • Martian Suprematists – Inspired by the charismatic Prophetech Hos Chu of Vacuna, a number of Forge Worlds openly declared their support for the Ur-council, on the condition that Cult Mechanicus philosophies and laws would be recognised as official across the Nova Terran Imperium. While this was not fully successful, the Suprematists did manage to have Temples to the Machine God erected across many Imperial worlds, much to the disgust of the Adeptus Ministorum. 
  • Moirae Schismatics – The most famous group of the period, the Schismatics are fully deserving of an account of their own, which can be found later in this volume. [+noosphericinloadlink inactive+] 
  • Ancient Mechanicum of Triplex – Later to be stereotyped as independently-minded, the magi of the frontiers Forge World of Triplex-Phall were amongst the most devout and religiously-minded of all members of the Mechanicus at this point, their society all but indistinguishable from a shrineworld. Many influential Magi from Forge Worlds including Druent, Xibalba and Suzo No Otoko, expressed political sympathy for this divisive regime.

+++

This was also a great excuse to dig out some old pict-captures of a ten-year old army, my Braun II Skitarii: 

Mechanicus%2Bh.jpg

Mechanicus%2Bc.jpg

I'm very pleased to share this imaginative and brilliantly-executed conversion of a Shrine-servitor from j.[url=https://www.instagram.com/j.vandamnit/]vandamnit on Instagram, too:

j.vandamnit%27%2BShrine-servitor%2Ba.jpg

Edited by Apologist

Some nice fluff in there. I like the idea of the Martian Suprematists raising their own temples. I haven't read much of the AM fluff and only know the bare bones about them but it's a neat setting to imagine a Machine Temple on imperial worlds.

As for the burned barn mission it is a possibility. Talking to my by buddy about doing an escalation-esque campaign with our armies to finally get them built and painted after all these years. So a mission like that would be fun for the narrative aspect.

Long-delayed, but back to Blood Angels. Here's the second half of Squad 1:

d.jpg

Sinistro e Dexter:  Brother Simnal (Saditel 2:02); Brother Ornaghi (Utchael 3:04); Brother Schirru (Ixael 6:05); Brother Zoma (Caraniel 9:1); Brother Pappacordo (Zether 1:09)

Based upon these from WD139:

e.jpg

My original intention for the project was to emulate the originals as closely as possible, but after building and painting ten models, I've realised just how limiting the three original poses were. It's testament to the 'Eavy Metal team (Tim Prow for these, I think) and photographer that they managed to get them looking as varied as they do.

As a result, I've emulated the figures, rather than directly copied the poses. This has allowed me to loosen up a few poses, and add some dynamics from such simple changes as turning the heads a bit.
Edited by Apologist

Hey Apologist, is there any chance that when you copy paste across from your blog to here you could colour correct the text? I wanna read the cool stuff, but don't want to have to faff around highlighting it!

Dragonlover

Hey Apologist, is there any chance that when you copy paste across from your blog to here you could colour correct the text? I wanna read the cool stuff, but don't want to have to faff around highlighting it!

Oh, sorry about that! I use the B&C skin with black text on white background, so I've not been aware of it. I'll have a check through the blog now. Thanks for letting me know.

+ EDIT +

Should all be fixed now; but please let me know if anything's still unreadeable.

Edited by Apologist

+ Beyond the inspiration +

k.jpg

In the short term, I want to build the models from the army in the picture above – helped no little bit by the PCRC's kind gift of a Rhino, Librarian, Medic and Thudd Gun (thanks again!) – but for anyone who knows my preferred style of army, you'll know I love the basic infantry.

I'll mostly be running the army using the modern 8th edition rules, and one of the things that most interested me about the new list was the increased options for small arms within troops. Subtle additions here – three new types of boltgun – give huge opportunity and got my mind turning over.

The original army is based around two Tactical Squads and one Devastator Squad. I'm committed to building the Tacticals with Bolt Rifles, but I've been toying with the idea of building the Devastators with Stalker Bolt Rifles – a better complement to the heavy weapons, more fitting of the battlefield support role, and a bit of welcome variation. In addition, if I ever need to stick to the strict letter of the rules, I can field them as a Primaris squad; using the missile launchers to proxy as grenade launchers, while the rest of the squad remains a valid choice.

So, with two varieties of new boltgun accounted for, I got thinking about the third: Auto Bolt Rifles. I'm not a fan of the Reiver models, but their Bolt Carbines look awesome; I couldn't resist buying some bits and playing about:

c.JPG
The standard Auto Bolt Rifle, is, rather disappointingly, simply a minor variation of the standard rifle; but the Reiver's guns have a more distinctive silhouette – snub-nosed, with forward handles, they remind me of 80s action movies.

I thought I might build a squad of these, but I'm in two minds. Game-wise, they'll be a Primaris squad with Auto Bolt Rifles, but in terms of painting and background, do you think they'd be better as one of the four remaining Tactical Squads, or as a ground-based Assault Squad? The main differences are going to be whether the helms are yellow or red, and the squad markings. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I'd say go yellow for some variation and different markings. Assault squads are fun and give you a unit that story wise can be your spearhead attacking squad, first through every breach, forlorn hope style. Also balances nicely with some tacticals, supported at range by the blue tops, and following the assualt party of the yellow tops.

I've actually been thinking about these as well. I want to convert some to work with the Istvaan V veteran/destroyer squad I've been working on for a little while. I see them fulfilling more of a close ranged role so I vote to throw them on an assault squad. With some aggressive posing I think they could look pretty cool. 

Man this is an incredible project, I loved this whole era of WD etc I started myself in the mid 90’s and used to pore over these issues coming up with plans on how I might change things up.

Your really catching the old school feel with the Orks and Blood Angels. I’ve often thought about trying to recreate the old Renegade Marines that all had their own cheesy names such as

Brother Skull

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n235/Stovie_2006/8A80DCC8-5FBD-4EAB-806A-F9F5FBD45C12.png

and Brother Nightshade

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n235/Stovie_2006/B4DCF3EB-F2DF-49ED-839B-EBF06F7FAE55.png

etc in the old Citadel Combat Card game :) some of those models would look really cool nowadays. Come to think of it, I have a box of easy build Primaris intercessors.....dammit

Edited by Biohazard

Ha ha, brilliant! At the risk of poking you in a particular direction, if you've got Imperial marine models, you might consider painting up one of the Chapters that later turn traitor (the Anatomy of an Empire: Nova Terra Imperium article has quite a few little Easter eggs of such Chapters :))? You could use the M41 colour scheme for a traitor Chapter, but show them as they were in M35.

Either way, hope to see what you can do with the #alienwars, Biohazard :)

'Dabnett Unwerth', well really.:teehee:

I'd go for the yellow helms of an assault squad. The... realism* of your work on the BA and particularly the orks is brilliant. Having an assault squad wielding conventional-ish rifles - or a close-up variant - rather than a sword and pistol seems to fit it well. Less '40k heroes charging in' and more 'breacher squad Lorenzo clearing a bunker room by room', which is actually a pretty startling and unexpected thing to see for the Blood Angels. It casts them in a very different  and unique light.

* Norm-core stylings? Military historical approach? Scifi over science-fantasy? Is there a term you use to capture all this RT-inspired approach?

... realism* of your work on the BA and particularly the orks is brilliant. [...]Less '40k heroes charging in' and more 'breacher squad Lorenzo clearing a bunker room by room', which is actually a pretty startling and unexpected thing to see for the Blood Angels. It casts them in a very different  and unique light.

* Norm-core stylings? Military historical approach? Scifi over science-fantasy? Is there a term you use to capture all this RT-inspired approach?

Cheers, Sandlemad. I don't think I've ever given the approach a name. I suppose I'd call it the low heroic mode? It's not exactly realistic, but equally it's not exaggerated to mythic proportions. The sort of question I ask myself is, 'Is centuries of experience necessary, or would decades do just as well, and raise less problems?' and 'Does this character really need to fight thirty enemies, or would three be sufficiently impressive?'

The appeal for all my armies is always the individual. Whether a guardsman, ork or Space Marine, I think each member of the army deserves the same amount of thought, time and care. After all, the models will hang around forever; it's a shame to rush them, when each one could be a hero. :)

On a related note, I've always preferred the slightly more conservative characterisation of the Blood Angels (and indeed, almost all Codex-divergent Chapters) – as Space Marines first, and 'archetype' second. Things have understandably become a little 'flanderised' over the years in order to provide more differentiation between the models and armies, but I liked Blood Angels when their hidden flaw was simply hinted at, rather than seen as the core of their appeal. 

Happily, the retro-RT/2nd ed. approach of the Alien Wars means that the characterisation is not just fitting, but actually informs the modern M41 approach. Much more tragic if the flaw has definitely come closer to the surface for the Blood Angels after another five or six millennia. :)

+++

c.JPG

I've done a quick summary of the Blood Angels and plans on the blog if you fancy a read, though if you've been following this blog, you'll be pretty much up to date anyway. I thought I'd cut to the meat here, and show you the new models:

Devastator IX – First combat squad

q.jpg

These are fairly simple conversions, little more than kitbashes. The only complex parts are the Mk VI-style lower legs, which required a bit of trimming and filing to reshape into the single plate greaves. Aside from that, it's all cut and paste. Note that I've mixed up the armour marks, as per my earlier post.

The inspiration

c.JPG

Here's a close-up of the missile launcher. I decided not to do the reinforced greaves of the later 2nd ed. Devastator models, but I did nod to them with the targeter. 

r.jpg

Another great update dude!

Liking where this is going, and very very informative in terms of how to tackle/plan through a project like this.

On the blog you mention the 5 tech priests and how you want to tackle this. Do you mean in the background or as models? If you wanted to have more in the army model wise, why not have a tech marine drive poking out of the rhino, and the same for the landspeeder. That gives you 3 straight away when you include the one with hte thudd/thunderfire gun, more if you then had the gunner in the speeder. Not sure where the fith goes yet (maybe as a spare 'crew guy on the artillery piece?, or as a single roaming tech priest). If you mean't story wise, why not jsut say that they are from the assault company (for the speeder, reserves for the rhino driver), who are in training and as such haven't reached full techpriest status, but earmarked for being sent to mars in the future to complete their training. Just some thoughts (although I have likely misunderstood the problem so you can safely ignore this)

Thanks, Spafe; and you've hit the nail on the head. Essentially, the original army list required five techmarines. However, that doesn't really reflect the modern background on Techmarines, the original picture, or even the real-world way people played (at least, in my experience) back then. I'm looking for some ideas to spark off to decide how to square the circle – both in story and building terms. 

I very much like your idea of the techmarines as drivers and crew you've suggested – it makes explicit something that has been implicit for a long time, and would give me the chance to build them or leave them hidden as necessary. 

The other idea I had was to build a few Chapter serfs – a sort of M35 equivalent to servitors. Now, I'm sure servitors would still exist in M35; but since I've got the chance to write something a little new, perhaps this period of religious upheaval saw the Blood Angels utilisting tech-serfs in their place for some reason? It'd let me nod to the period artwork.