+ Sergeant Raphael completed +

c.jpg

+ Of the Third Hour; ascended under the auspices of Veguaniel. Fourth of the name Furiel in the Eighth Cycle. +

Phew, first one off the blocks:

d.jpg

I hope he's recognisable as an update of the Sergeant from the first squad of the original army. There are obvious differences in detail – the tilt plate is an obvious one – and working out how to paint the intricate details of the modern plastic against the softer, cleaner lead model was quite fun.

I toyed with yellow bolter casings, but decided in the end to stay as close as possible to the original inspiration with this squad. One little detail I really like on the new Primaris models is the little box for automatically blessing bolt shells – that, in a nutshell, is 40k for me.

The freehand Chapter symbol was fun (certainly more fun than the damn Iron Warriors' symbol!) to do, too. This shot also shows the basing – I've tried to create a slightly varied desert waste using various sandy browns. The intention is practical: being generic enough to serve as Baal or Armageddon, while fitting in nicely with my Lamb's World Guard, too...

The black areas, as usual, were not quite black – I've mixed in a hint of Flash Gitz Yellow and Charadon Granite to stop it being completely dead, and to give me some 'tonal room' to shade with.

e.jpg

One change I did make was to the backpacks, rendering them completely in metal – a nod to older models. Rather than deadening black, I washed them with Leviathan Purple and Seraphim Sepia. These mixed on the surface to form interesting neutrals. Because I also used these washes on the red armour, it helps to tie the piece together.

Note also the helmet on the belt. I wanted to hint at the Blood Angels' fondness for artistry, so this sergeant has been honoured with a slightly modified helm. While Raphael needed to be bare-headed (to follow the inspiration), I had to make the decision of what type to use across the army here, as squad 2 has a helmed sergeant. An elaborate haloed style would probably be too much – it would look over the top on the other sergeant, not to mention faintly ridiculous on the belt...

f.jpg

The right pad is an example of where I've gone off-piste a bit. The original simply has a white blood drop to indicate the third company. I decided that I'd add a supplementary small blood drop on either side of it, and a nameplate below, just to make this more personal to me.

In background terms, this is part of the appeal of the M35 setting: these 'non-canon' things that make these more personal to me are entirely accurate – because I'm making them up as I go :smile.:

g.jpg

So, there's Furiel 8:04. Hope you've enjoyed the ramblings – or at least the pictures!

h.jpg

'EAVYMETAL !!!

Great concept, you've done awesome work with the new Primaris sculpts!

More please !

-W

I love the detail and beautiful work you've got here, Apologist, you have turned a transhuman killing machine into a great work of art (which is really fitting for the Blood Angels)! Can't wait to see more, but I think you have set a high bar for yurself! :lol:

I like to think I do the same, so I'm interested to see how your project goes (and possibly crib a few ideas off you). I really like your adjustments to the armor, it seems to take is a step backward more to Mk7, and I think it is really interesting how the shorter weapons and standard power packs still fit and don't look out of place (at least not to me).

Awesome work, my good sir, awesome!

Edited by Bryan Blaire

+++

e.jpg

Minor painting last night - basecoated the bases and washed in the red on the four members of Squad Raphael. I'm aiming to get them completed for two weeks' time so they can take to the field alongside the brave men of Lamb's World in a game of 8th ed - the first skirmish in The Alien Wars.

+++

Fantastic work! I am really envious how you manage to achieve such a warm and vibrant feel to your miniatures, it really gives each one a sense of character! The background as usual is great, and really sets the scene for the armies theme. I look forward to seeing what you have planned next.

Thanks very much; and it's the advice and encouragement of the noospheric community that's helped me improve - just check out Brother Engel, who, roughly twenty years ago, was the first member of this army :D

IMG_4704.JPG

Beautiful.

Cheers :)

Now you've found the perfect balance between paying homage to 2nd Edition and keeping your distinct style visible. A splendid paint job. Nice work with the story, too!

I'm glad I went back to alter the highlights with creamy-white; thanks for the feedback. Glad you're enjoying the story, too. :)

I LOVE the red that you've achieved!! Your tutorial is very helpful, as well. What ratio of flow improver to ink/paint do you use for the shadows?

Very excited to see more!

I tend to work fairly organically, so I don't have a precise ratio, I'm afraid. That said, it's probably fairly low – I only use a hint of flow improver, as the ink already dilutes the paint quite a bit. Certainly the mix is fairly fluid, but not as watery as a wash. If you like, I'll record the mix I use for the next few to get a better idea.

I love the detail and beautiful work you've got here, Apologist, you have turned a transhuman killing machine into a great work of art (which is really fitting for the Blood Angels)! Can't wait to see more, but I think you have set a high bar for yurself! :laugh.:

I like to think I do the same, so I'm interested to see how your project goes (and possibly crib a few ideas off you). I really like your adjustments to the armor, it rally seems to take is a step backward more to Mk7, and I think it is really interesting how the shorter weapons and standard power packs still fit and don't look out of place (at least not to mean).

Awesome work, my good sir, awesome!

Please feel free – that's the nice thing about ideas; we each give each other an idea and we end up with two each :)

I think the Mark X armour has enough of the classic silhouette that you can get good results with kitbashing, but the conversion work is quick and simple if you do want to take it a bit further.

Regarding what's coming up, I realise I've been a bit dim in not realising that it's fairly unlikely readers will have access to a magazines from more than twenty-five years ago, so here's a piccy of what I'm building:

k.jpg

(Copyright of course remains with Games Workshop; no challenge is intended)

To list out what's coming:

• Squads: 
    • Squad one: ten-man MK VII Tactical Squad with missile launcher and flamer; Rhino.
    • Squad two: ten-man MK VII Tactical Squad with missile launcher and flamer.
    • Squad three: ten-man MK VI Devastator Squad with two missile launchers and two (shoulder-mounted, you'll be pleased to hear, Malika) heavy bolters; graciously gathered from the bits box of PCRC member grahamgilchrist.
    • Squad four: five-man Terminator squad with assault cannon (because rotary machine guns were critically important in the 80s)
  • Personalities:
    • Captain Tycho - based partly on the model in the image, but also on the classic artwork of the Blood Angels fighting genestealers.
    • Chaplain
    • Apothecary
    • Ancient – as noted earlier, I'm splitting the banner off from the Apothecary. The original is a cool conversion, but I really love banner bearers as individuals, so couldn't resist.
    • Epistolary
    • Lieutenant

Regarding the personalities, I can't decide whether to emulate the style and posing of the models used above and essentially update them; or to simply use them as loose inspiration and just make models I think are cool – that is, reimagine them. I'd appreciate your thoughts on this.

I tend to work fairly organically, so I don't have a precise ratio, I'm afraid. That said, it's probably fairly low – I only use a hint of flow improver, as the ink already dilutes the paint quite a bit. Certainly the mix is fairly fluid, but not as watery as a wash. If you like, I'll record the mix I use for the next few to get a better idea.

That would be much appreciated, thank you!  I've tried to use ink in a similar way to enhance the shadows, but it still gives me a noticeable contrast line between where the ink was applied and where it wasn't.  So seeing how you do it would be very helpful.

The new Primaris kits seem to work well in making a properly proportioned mk7 marine. No more endless greenstuff sessions! :D
Being inspired by and trying to bringing back something from a lost era is a great starting point for an army. Looking forward to more.

The Captain starts to take shape... 

My initial plan for the leader of the army was to build an updated version of the Blood Angels Captain model that led the original army from WD (see the WD army shot on the previous page).

However, that model has already been updated – it's the explicit inspiration for the current Captain Tycho model. I could do my own interpretation of that, but I got thinking about the core conceit of the Alien Wars project, which is to draw inspiration more freely and creatively.

Secondly, in background terms, I wanted to make it clear (if possible) that my Captain is not the M41 Captain Erasmus Tycho, but a previous incumbent circa M35. There's obviously a common thread of inspiration, but I want my take on the Blood Angels to lead me somewhere else. 

For these reasons, my mind hopped back to a fairly famous GW image from the early 90s. Dave Gallagher's artwork of Blood Angels was used for a cover of White Dwarf, the White Dwarf compilation, and sundry other bits and bobs. For good reason – it's awesome!

m.jpg

The gold-armoured Captain stands amidst his men, his artificer-made facemask impassive, as the Blood Angels lay into the genestaler menace. This has long been a favourite piece of mine – it's such a striking image.

I'm not certain which came first – the model or the artwork – but either way it's in a great dynamic pose. The image below shows the basic building blocks of the conversion. I need to build up the waist at the back – it's currently a spare carved-down chunk of plastic shoulder(!) that happened to be roughly the right shape – but I'm pleased with the general feel. This is pre-greenstuff and with a placeholder head, though hopefully the homage to the original is clear:

e.jpg

Love to hear what you think.

+++

I am particularly looking forward to see what you'll do with the blue beakies. Got a soft spot for that gloriously 80's colour scheme.

Also... dunno how the rules work, but I was under the impression that primaris can't ride in a Rhino?

As Chaplain Dosjetka notes, these are just regular ol' marines. The modelling and painting is more of the focus here than the gaming, though I do hope to take them out for a spin at some point. That might take a few little houserules.

The new Primaris kits seem to work well in making a properly proportioned mk7 marine. No more endless greenstuff sessions! :biggrin.:
Being inspired by and trying to bringing back something from a lost era is a great starting point for an army. Looking forward to more.

Yes, it's surprising what can be done with a little kitbashing and cutting. Cheers for the encouragement :smile.:

Edited by Apologist

+ Declaration of the Alien Wars +

Puglius bears a warning. "The Shint. The Confederacy of Muspa. The bone-eating Brachiacy. The Q'orl. The denizens of Angelis." The Chaplain-sabatine looks out across the vast table at the scanty gathering, which represents the voice of the Chapter. Many seats are empty.

"All recorded extinct since the time of Master Concio." Puglius goes on, his gaze level. "All have appeared in scryomantic reports from the Tower of Buto since the Kolonio last changed."

The Exortio leans forward awkwardly in the Siege Recorda, the throne reserved for the representative of the Librarius at Chapter Meetings. "It is no mark of disfavour that such beings return;  my lord – rather it is more likely a mis-classifi-"

He is cut off by a curt bark from the lone librarian still present in the Monastery, a lowly – and clearly resentful – Lexicanium who looms to one side and slightly behind the oversized throne.

"That remains to be seen."

The Exortio, a serf representing the Librarius at this Chapter meeting in the absence of the Chief Librarian and his Epistolary lieutenants, is uncomfortable, and poor at masking his turmoil. He squirms in the throne, attempting to address the librarian politely without turning his back on the gathered representatives, his face a mass of tics – and his voice an awkward, blurting mix of indignation, frustration, and no little wariness.

"With respect, Lord -"

"Then grant me that respect; serf, and be silent." The librarian intones. It is clear from his tone that this is a well-worn argument, however new the topic. The Exortio turned back, his face pale and drawn, as the Lexicanium steps forward and addresses Puglius directly. "Xenos are gathering, Chaplain-sabatine, and this is a mark of the Emperor's disfavour-"

"Be silent!" yells Formosus, crashing his fist down on the ancient durwood table. In the hush that follows, Formosus rises to this feet. "This is not a matter of spirituality! This scholastic debate ends here! Now!" His breathing is heavy, his eyes ablaze. "For too long, the Chapter has mired itself in sophism and semantics, shying away from decision and duty."

Tycho of the Third and Abelard, the brevet-Captain of the Fifth, bristle. The Episcopate military-ordinaries who stand in for the eight absent Captains, remain impassive.

Accompanied by a dismissive gesture at the Siege Recorda, whose incumbent shrinks within his robe, Formosus' voice drops to a growl. "On one hand, I am served by withinlookmen, polemicists and navel-gazers." Here, he waves to the librarian, who removes his hands from the table as though it has suddenly become red-hot. "On the other, by intellectual fanatics and firebrands, who would have me turn on the Imperium itself."

The Lexicanium straightens, appears about to speak, but is silenced with a glare as the Chapter Master continues.

"How would you have the Children of Sanguinius serve? That is the question here. That is the only point of relevance. I am not ignorant of the risks and challenges of the twin Imperium; nor am I convinced by either side of the argument. No." His eyes narrow. "We do not shy from risk. We do not avoid challenges. We are the Blood Angels; with a proud history that dates back to the very formation of the Emperor's realms. We stand above these petty arguments; as symbols of something better."

He leans over the table.

"I have reached my decision."

The others, brethren and servants alike, are silent.

"We go to war."

The expressions on the gathered faces are varied; concern, anger, hope.

"I grow not hot with love for the denizens of Terra, nor still Nova Terra – we will not move against them. Nor still do we involve ourselves with the debates of the Ophelian and Terran Churches, however strongly some of you will it one way or the other. No. The place of the Blood Angels is not to determine the path of mankind – neither in spirit nor in body. Our task is to serve. I will not suffer humanity to huddle in its bastions and fastnesses, preparing war against each other; not while the Emperor's realm is cut and torn and raided from outside. Such decisions are not ours to make. Let righteousness lead mankind; and strength gird whichever side is in the right."

Formosus appears poised.

"Our duty is to war against the Alien, as He-on-Earth willed it. We will make a new war; and re-carve the borders of the segmentum. Too long have we fought guardedly, hindered by uncertainty and riven by internal debate. Now we shall fight gloriously."

He glares around the table.

"Such is the will of the Master of the Chapter of the Angels of the Blood; and through him the will of the Old Masters, and the First Angel; and through him alone, the Emperor. If you want an answer to the question of humanity's soul, you will obey me, as we lead by example. We will cast back and darkness and see which Imperium – old or new – and which priests, whether of Terra or Ophelia, follows us in our Emperor-appointed task."

"Thus I declare, the Alien Wars begun."

+++

Thus begins the Alien Wars, an M35 Crusade led by the Blood Angels; which I hope will lead to lots of games in which we explore the time of the Twin Imperium, the history of the Blood Angels, and, of course – see a lot of tabletop warfare! I've got a game lined up for next Thursday, which will – all being well – see the first squad of Astartes accompanying my Imperial Guard army.

Many aliens are aware that Imperial forces are being siphoned off and redirected from frontier space as Terra and Nova Terra requisition, redirect and redeploy forces in a cold war that threatens to erupt at any moment. The game will look at just one such opportunistic ork warlord, who will be met by a thin Imperial line shored up by the Scions of the Ninth Legion. 

Edited by Apologist

+ Triple post shame +

This clean style malarky takes bloomin' ages:

After an hour:

e.jpg

After another half an hour:

g.jpg

...and so I am getting there – slowly but surely – with this combat squad:
f.jpg

That's all of the initial highlighting on the red done; next up is the shading. I'll see if I can get some pictures to show the consistency I use for this; but suffice to say that it's the flow that's the critical bit – you don't want to end up with obvious lines, tidemarks or 'cauliflowers'.

Edited by Apologist

Hm. I'm skeptical about the light green lenses. They "pop" too much in my opinion.

The Captain looks good though, it's great to see him leap forth from that piece of art into model form. :tu:

Hm. I'm skeptical about the light green lenses. They "pop" too much in my opinion.

The Captain looks good though, it's great to see him leap forth from that piece of art into model form. :thumbsup:

Ta – and yes, the lenses are very bright at the moment; rest assured they'll be shaded down alongside the rest of the armour.

Speaking of green... where would we be without aliens to fight?

Bullneck's Bovva Boyz

Familiar to anyone who's on speaking terms with the Arch-arsonist, Thrugg Bullneck is a character with a long pedigree. The once and future git is an older conversion of mine that I'm very happy to be able to share here now:

IMG_3160.JPG

Like the rest of this project, he's based on an older model; one of the first 40k models of all:

Raider_Warboss.jpg

IMG_2915.JPG

Edited by Apologist

Fantastic upgrade of an old model! The red on the BA are looking amazing as well! Definitely looking forward to seeing how this project progresses.

Ta! Added the shading to the squad last night, then got carried away and finished them.

Aarik; here's the mix info and pic for the shading:

c.jpg

This rather unassuming blob is made up of two drops of Winsor & Newton Sepia ink, two brushloads (size 1 round) of Liche Purple, two drops of clean water and one brushload of flow enhancer. I've run a brush through to show the consistency – the gap opened here closed almost immediately; the consistency is a little like beer spilt onto wood; slightly sticky, but no body like milk. This amount was sufficient to paint all four of the models in quick succession, given a cool evening (and refreshed occasionally with one or two more drops of water).

+++

+ Squad 1: Raphael – or, the Wards of Furiel +

s.jpg

+ Deployed in support of Lamb's World LVth Rifles, Arcturus Campaign; Plains of Tethys theatre +

+++

b.jpg

These chaps represent half of 'squad 1' in the original army, shown above left.

q.jpg

There are a few little additional honour marks etc., but stuck to the fairly stripped-back and clean look as far as I could. The honour markings themselves are drawn from the Rogue Trader-era notes mentioned earlier , which I thought was a fun little Easter egg. 

I have been careful to include at least one purity seal on every marine. The period in which the army is set (M35) immediately follows the official deification of the Emperor, and I want to evoke that post-rational aspect of the era, as the secular Imperial Truth gives way. Doubtless there are a few older Blood Angels who remember a time beforehand – and there are likely philospohical and theological arguments still raging within the brotherhood and in the Chapter cult as the old and new doctrines interact – but in general, most of the Blood Angels in the army will have been born and raised treating the Emperor as a god, rather than a human figure. 

This is mainly because I've explored the Great Crusade era a lot, and fncy delving into the gradual decline of the Imperium into the baroque dystopia of the later millennia – a beautiful decline and fall, which nicely parallels the fate of Rome and Constantinople, a topic that was part of the inspiration for this army.

Great work, all the little details really bring them to life. Although the paint job on the new marines seems to lack some depth here and there compared to the sergeant. They look ever so slightly different. The story element is top-notch however, and I'm eager to see where this is going considering your historical inspiration.

Cheers all. A bit of build-up for the game on Thursday:

+ The Alien Wars: The Arcturus Theatre and the first Lamb's World 117th +

Lamb's World. Of the planet itself, little need be said beyond that it represents just one amongst the hundreds of thousands of the worlds that make up the Imperium. A backwater rainworld, loosly civilised, it sends its sons and daughters out to fight the Emperor's wars, and has done so for many millennia.

q.jpg

Typical Lamb's World guardsmen - pugnacious, grimy and resolute.

Numerous regiments from the planet have served in the Imperium's armies; most more dutifully than remarkably. The 27th 'Copper Hornets' fought in the Damocles Gulf campaign; the 55th saw service in the Dolor Debacle; and a later raising of the 117th – the so-called 'Black Hands' – were deployed to Shale.

The 117th regiment seems to have a cursed history. Owing to the peculiar recruitment habits of Lamb's World, there have been at least three 117th regiments, all of which have met dismal ends. The infamous Shale campaign (ca.M41), left but one survivor [cross ref. Terentius Dresden] or the resurrected 'Black Hands' regiment, while another was all but wiped out during the Fourth Scallop Star purges.

The first recorded iteration of the 117th served during the Alien Wars, far from the sector of their birth under the inspired leadership of Caef Burton-Gogh. Deployed to shore up the ongoing war on Arcturus in 191.M35, the regiment quickly found itself embattled against tough, resourceful ork invaders, who had established numerous beachheads and looked set to overrun the world in short order.

r.jpg
Few Lamb's World regiments are specialised; the culture of the planet favours adaptable generalists. The 117th shows a preference for relatively low-tech and reliable equipment. The gunners complain about the 'back-breakers', but heavy bolter operators enjoy a certain cache in the mess.

The equatorial regions of Lamb's World has, since time immemorial, been plagued by an infestation of orks; which require the Imperial Commander to operate eternal vigilance – and his forces to perform regular sweep-and-clear missions. As a result, nearly every soldier who leaves Lamb's World will have fought against the greenskin, and become accustomed to their typical tactics. This proved not only useful, but life-saving, on the world of Arcturus.

+++

+ The Arcturan War and Imperial Politics +

Many Arcturans muttered privately that the lack of support in their war with the invading orks was a sign that the Imperium itself was withholding its armies as a sign of disfavour. This was, after all, a dark period in the Imperium's history, with the Imperium itself sundered in two. Most planets beyond the immediate influence of the competing galactic capitals had studiedly remained neutral at the secession of the distant Segmentum Pacficus, but privately, most favoured the claim either of Terra's status quo, or Nova Terra's claims of greater adherence to the Emperor's vision.

Of particular note during this period in history is the general inaction of the Astartes. If the worlds of the Imperium were become increasingly withdrawn in the political and religious forment of the time, the Chapters Astartes were doubly so. The Ecclesiarchical Bull of the Emperor's Deificiation – issued within living memory for those with access to juvenat treatments – officially stated the Emperor to be a god. In its wake, the increasingly influential Ecclesiarchy was clamping down on 'heretic' faiths – which included most Chapter cults.

While few in the Church were unwise enough to declare against a local Chapter, they privately petitioned against the Imperium's armed forces requesting any aid from the Astartes – citing numerous reasons; from the importance of humanity defending itself, to the Emperor's Angels literally ascending to dwell with the God-Emperor in some other realm. Thus the Church and its Angels sat in an uneasy and unspoken truce; one refusing to request their help, the other warily dwelling in their fastnesses.

During this period, few Chapters looked beyond their immediate fiefs, in order to avoid appearing to favour one side or the other in the temporal or spiritual debates of the time. Of those that remained actively campaigning, most deployed to wilderness space, where they could continue their duties without inadvertently sparking an intersectorial war.

The result of this was that, to many, the fabled Space Marines became just that – fairy tales.

+++

Arcturus, located deep in wilderness space in Segmentum Ultima, was far from the hub of Imperial politics, but Lord Governor Finchley-Gossamer, the otherwise shrewd Imperial Commander of Arcturus, had publicly spoken out and campaigned in favour of supporting Nova Terra against what he saw as an increasingly oppressive bureaucracy.

The Historia Imperium, a common scholam primer across the subsector today, makes it clear that it was vanishingly unlikely that the orks were in any way influenced by Imperial politics, but as the alien armada approached, many muttered darkly that the greenskins had been paid – though by Terran or Nova Terran agents was never clear.

With the benefit of historical hindsight, it is more likely that the orks simply took advantage of thinning extra-solar defences as the players of Imperial politics gathered their forces closer to them, rather than contribute to cooperative efforts – but the dark cloud this suspicion cast over the defenders of Arcturus had a real effect on the war; retarding recruitment, slowing the building of defences, and leading to intermittent fighting and resentment between competing factions even as the orks reached the system pickets.

+++

Great work, all the little details really bring them to life. Although the paint job on the new marines seems to lack some depth here and there compared to the sergeant. They look ever so slightly different. The story element is top-notch however, and I'm eager to see where this is going considering your historical inspiration.

I think it might be the yellow-tinged highlights on the sergeant, compared with the pinker ones on the rest of the marines, that's causing that effect, but you may well be right. I'll have a look at perhaps building up the depth on these, though there's a balance between time and effect to be struck. Thanks for the critique (and complements on the story) it's much appreciated :)

I really like the look of the lieutenant. Where does the circular shield on his left shoulder come from?

Thanks. I believe it's from the Blood Angels Terminator Assault Squad box, though I bought this as part of a bits pack from eBay.

Brilliant looking squad! Looking forward to seeing the next squad!

Ta very much. As Isengrin points out, they might be a bit inconsistent with the sergeant, but consistency is one of the challenges of painting red.

I wonder now if you'll be scratch building a 2nd edition styled Land Speeder as well...

At some point I am going to have to tackle the Land Speeder, though it'll likely be a reimagining of the original Rogue Trader-era one, to go with the source imagery. It'll be fun to make an optional Lieutenant to sit on it, as per the army list!

What I love the most about this is the setting you have brought to life with these paragraphs - it is this intrigue and entire 10,000 year age which GW has willingly neglected which offers endless possibilities.

The Imperium hasn't been the same throughout this epoch - in many ways it will be different in culture, organisation, territory and military force throughout its immense history.

Yes, it's a great space to explore!

+ A Company of Heroes +

Forgive the wet bases, wonky freehand on the gun-eagles, and that [sCRAPSHUNTERRORABORT] mouldline visible in these individual shots – these have since been tidied up. 

Brother Barbarigo (Durbael 4:11).

d.jpg

Note the Bleeding of Arcturus campaign badge on the shin – a detail drawn from an old White Dwarf illustration, which also inspired the colour text in my earlier post.

f.jpg

I picked out a few details in Boltgun Metal to suggest connecting ports and so forth on these marines.

+++

Brother Donato (Duhael 4:12)

g.jpg

h.jpg

Purity seals are a dull purple, to fit in with the scheme; the Chapter symbol is also muted – I wanted to get a fresco feel, rather than imply it has been painted on top.

+++

Brother Farnese (Shemhamphorae 1:20)

k.jpg

m.jpg

Farnese's backpack contains a mobile shrine – a spiritual equivalent to a vox-unit.

+++

Brother Engel (Narieal 4:10)

n.jpg

The white kneepad is from the old White Dwarf illustration – simply labelled as an 'Honour Marking'. I thought this was fitting for an update of the oldest model in the army.

o.jpg

The Blood Angels' logo is painted with a neutral mix of black, yellow and purple.

+++

+ Recon in strength +

u.jpg

+++

Onnagh flicked the lho stick up in a long, long arc through the dreadful, endless rain that had set in since the invaders had touched orbit. It was like the planet had got a stick in its eye and was trying to wash it out. The corporal and I watched the tumbling stick trace a graceful path to its zenith, then descend to land unceremoniously in a murky puddle a few yards away.

We looked back.

"Do that again, and I'll stick you myself." I said, warningly. "Do you want the green bastards to find us?"

She leaned back against the wet concrete and grinned broadly, eyes glittering. Stimms? Possibly. Then again, Onnagh was always the sort of lunatic that relished an argument. The invasion was probably the best thing that had ever happened to the stinking old criminal.

"You're late, anyway."

I grunted in reply. Late for what? As far as we knew, we were the last damned humans on Arcturus