Howling (Gryffindors) Griffons- WiP plog-New Primaris army

MithrilForge

heya all,

i'm mainly over in Ad-Mech and Astra Mil forums but went on holidays recently and got some Primaris Marines (push togethers), now at the time we went and visited Movie World and my young son found much joy in buying merchandise of Harry potter and house Gryffindor.... suffice to say when i was sitting down at home upon our return and was pouring over codex armies pictures etc...ultra's,DA's,BA's,wolves .... on and on,whilst doing this my son came up and sat with me looking too and to his suprise he saw the colours of red and Yellow Quartered and immediately said "Gryffindor!! :woot: ... paint yours like those one's daddy :wub: . when i mentioned to him they were "Howling Griffons" he said no they're "Howling Gryffindors"... and that was the start of this Plog...

(now i'm terribly slow and indecisive as a painter and i have 2 no wait... 3, other armies slowly taking shape so this is here to motivate me to work in with my other stuff and slowly get a small Primaris force done for now,of which my son will most likely use(borrow) when he eventually starts to play as well.)

Some questions on Howling Griffons! - i looked up the info etc etc - codex chapter that is pretty much the same as ultra's but the only difference i found was they don't display company markings right?... probably a good thing as i think 4th Co rims would look a bit meh with all that red n yellow :huh.: anyways... so in theory, playing them in games would be same as Ultra's correct? do we used the same named characters too? ...

also what helmet markings do we use for say captains LT's Sarge's etc...same as ultra's?

are there decals out there for em? or should i splurge on some of those pop goes the monkey -shapeways emblems that fit right onto the pad!?...

if anyone else has some info/enlightenment on howling griffons..Primaris Marines or just simply playing Ultra's it would be appreciated.

i will be painting up the Intercessors and Reivers that i got when we went away...lets get those done before i talk more and then go from there :sweat:

below is the first test min i did to show my son basically what his (our :whistling: ) army will look like when it's done. it's had highlights done and will be based this weekend so hopefully Monday i'll show our first finished HG Primaris Marine...

med_gallery_9146_583_1189304.jpg

Cheers, Mithril

Edited by mithrilforge

I know back in the day, WD showed off one of GW employees (I want to say Fred Reed?) HG army. Think he used blue as a Sgt helm colour, and on trims and stuff too?

First mini looks great, solid colours, nice neat quartering, thumbs up!

For the Emperor and the Founding Father! :D

Good to see more Griffons, I've just started painting some myself. As for their markings, I believe that they'd follow the Codex the majority of the time, so red Sergeant helmets, for example.

Gameplay wise, I'm intending to run them as Ultramarines Counts-As, seeing as how I've already converted up my own Sergeant Chronus! But yeah, essentially we use Ultramarines Chapter Tactics, though it's somewhat unclear on the Stratagems/Relics if you're playing strict RAW (as those parts of the Codex don't have any wording about Successor Chapters using their Founding Chapter's rules), but in casual games it shouldn't be a problem.

Decals: I ordered the Pop the Monkey curved shoulder insignia (https://www.shapeways.com/product/86C7QK6CA/60x-howlinggriffon-shoulder-insignia-pack?optionId=62876464) and I do not regret it for a moment! They're excellent! Not sure about the other shoulder pads, but they're supposed to be pretty good.

Greetings, fellow son of Mancora!

Yup, the Griffons follow codex markings, except for the company colour trim. As an addition, I'd advise replacing the red for Sergeants with another colour, like blue or black (I chose black), as it reads more clearly than red. (The old Fred Reed Griffons had blue helmeted sergeants.) Just follow the same marking scheme as laid out in the Codex, but substitute every occurrence of red with the colour of your choice.

Rules-wise, well, they're Ultramarine successors, soo... ;) Not sure what the 8th edition protocol on "adopting" named characters is, though?

And I second the Pop Goes the Monkey curved insignia, good stuff!

Greetings, fellow son of Mancora! Yup, the Griffons follow codex markings, except for the company colour trim. As an addition, I'd advise replacing the red for Sergeants with another colour, like blue or black (I chose black), as it reads more clearly than red. (The old Fred Reed Griffons had blue helmeted sergeants.) Just follow the same marking scheme as laid out in the Codex, but substitute every occurrence of red with the colour of your choice. Rules-wise, well, they're Ultramarine successors, soo... :wink: Not sure what the 8th edition protocol on "adopting" named characters is, though? And I second the Pop Goes the Monkey curved insignia, good stuff!

@ The Silent - 

Thank you for the response, i'm seriously thinking about swapping Black helms for Red ones :thumbsup: i noticed when i did the test Sgt that the helm was swallowed up by his right leg!! 

i also checked out your blog,that was a long read but a good one,consider me another hobbyist stalking your life... er ...well... your Hobby life :laugh.:

i was so excited to see what you had painted Howling Griffon wise only to find that annoyingly insulting photo Bucket symbol teasing me from the screen :wallbash:(not your fault, i know) but i hope to see them one day!.  

Oh and thanks massively for your posting of the Vid   -  https://youtu.be/SVw5e6EYFUg  

that made a light bulb turn on in me noggin :rolleyes:  i, i'm sure like many others, get wound up by worrying about how to paint and what to paint so much so that the process gets stalled or even not even started....you may have inadvertently helped me on to the road to 'DONE" :wub: 

cheers, Mithril   

update,

finally decided on what bases i'm going to use for this Li'l Army (it was actually TrexPushups new Novamarines base that sold it for me)

going with the New "Sector Mechanicus" bases cause they are really well made and will be fast to paint up :sweat:

i went with thunderhawk blue as i saw it used on sector terrain in one of the white dwarfs and thought it a nice contrast for the red/yellow...

C&C welcome....

med_gallery_9146_583_1853.jpg

will be adding some rhinox chipping here and there but otherwise done...

Cheers, Mithril

That's beautiful. Great job. I look forward to that point where you refine your proc s and can show us squads of that magnitude!

Thats the idea Prot :biggrin.:   i found in painting my other stuff that i'd hit a wall with my process cause i started to make it too convoluted and not "basic but nice" which the guy above is.

May i be strong enough to stick to my painting guns and follow through :sweat: and start posting more pic's than words... 

thanks for the comment, means a lot coming from someone of your painting calibre :blush.:.

Cheers, Mithril