Mentions

Joe

I'm not overly certain if this is possible with the current forum software, but it's something that's proven handy on other forums.

Basically, the mention system allows for one user to tag another user in order to notify them or a direct response to a post (and/or being 'mentioned'). Functionally, it appears as @Isinfier, @WarriorFish, @sfPanzer, @Brother 'shopping at' Argos, whilst also hotlinking to that users profile. To the target of the 'mention', it appears as a notification informing them that they've been tagged.

It's a nifty, helpful little system that can make threads a little easier to work with.

As best I can tell, it's not possible with the current version of the board software, but I think it's "built in" in the next version. Once we complete our repairs and upgrades, I imagine we'll get mentions then.

The IP.Board site isn't particularly helpful with regards to features so a quick check found nothing, however the more updated version does have an integrated plugin system so it could be possible to find or create a plugin to do this. I agree it'd certainly be useful to alert people to something they might find interesting for example.

It'd make it easier to draw a particular Frater's attention to something. Hopefully this won't lead to people making posts purely to nametag someone, though... :ermm: