Sanctic Psychic Powers Discussion Area

Valerian

I think hammerhand is best for things like strikes and interceptors.

Shooty powers are best for characters

And everything else can be sprinkled around.

Maybe things like vortex will be good for interceptors as they can manoeuvre around better.

Anyone have any thoughts about what's best for what unit? As a general

I'm going to take vortex and gate on librarian in SR, hammerhand on strikes in SR and on interceptors, astral aim on doomglaive dread and strike in twin las RB, sanctuary on palladins and gate on GMNDK.

Edited by hairojin

So brotherhood champion with Unlyeilding Anvil (+1 to wound), Hammerhand (+1 to wound) and the Perfect Warrior (+1 to wound) would be hitting everything on 1's, wounding anything at t2-7 on 2's and t8+ on 3's, with a -3 AP

Is that right, and if so, and with 4 attacks at D3 damage each, that actually sounds pretty good? Maybe give him the cuirass for Survival or the Deimos just for additional damage?

It's true! With that combination he could maybe put a scratch or two on a titan, then do it twice more after it steps on him.

I think he makes a great assassin or character hunter, but I have found their Invuln saves are usually too good to do any real damage, and (idk if its just me) inevitably 1 of the 4 attacks or wound rolls ends up a 1. So you end up doing only a couple of damage.

Also that's your warlord trait all used up. Might not be worth it

It's true! With that combination he could maybe put a scratch or two on a titan, then do it twice more after it steps on him.

I think he makes a great assassin or character hunter, but I have found their Invuln saves are usually too good to do any real damage, and (idk if its just me) inevitably 1 of the 4 attacks or wound rolls ends up a 1. So you end up doing only a couple of damage.

Warlord traits aren't one use only, so unless he dies in that combat he'll still have it next turn.

Warlord traits aren't one use only, so unless he dies in that combat he'll still have it next turn.

Not what he meant I think. I think he means there are more useful Warlord Traits than Unyielding Anvil. Most would argue First to the Fray is the go-to for GK.

Not what he meant I think. I think he means there are more useful Warlord Traits than Unyielding Anvil. Most would argue First to the Fray is the go-to for GK.

Right, agree about FttF as being the goto WT. Was just a bit confused about "used up"

He's talking about opportunity cost, because you can only have one Warlord. 

My current unit plans are basically:

- Grandmaster DK's: Sanctuary and Gate

- Librarian: Gate and Vortex

- Brother-Captain: Gate

- Strikes: Hammerhand

- Ancient: Gate

- Purgators: Astral Aim

- Interceptors: Vortex (they get a free Gate once per game, and it could finish off a character or blow holes in an infantry unit). 

I may vary it up depending on opponent, but that's probably my default. Gate is good on characters because you can chuck it on a nearby squad, or use it to reposition the character for a charge/apply their impact to a different part of the battlefield. That's one of the things that is noticeable, once your alpha strike is over the army is quite slow. Strikes can throw Hammerhand on themselves or on a character if they need it more. Purgators are probably the only squad that want Astral Aim, so they get it, and you can use someone else's Gate to reposition them if need be.

I still don't rate Purge Soul. Stuff that relies on enemy stats is generally a bad plan, especially a stat like Leadership which is invariable high on your priority targets. I'd rather use my psychic slots on something more impactful. I'm pretty sure Vortex steals Purge's lunch, especially with the Brotherhood bonus. 

If I ran Paladins I'd take Gate on them, if they need Sanctuary just chuck it from a nearby Grandmaster. Positioning > durability in 40k. 

Actually, Purge soul averages more wounds than vortex does against same leadership targets. It's really good against vehicles, which can give us trouble, as they usually have low leadership and can't use any bonuses. Imperial guard and dark eldar vehicles have leadership 7, orks have 6 or 7 and most space marine vehicles have 8. A lot of tyranid monsters have LD 5-6 (I've killed a carnifex with a single cast). Also it has no targeting restriction, you can always pick the best target, even characters. So you should always have someone with Purge soul in your army. Really the only power you can consider not taking is astral aim.

In my list, I distribute the powers the following way.

GMNDKs : Sanctuary

Voldus: Vortex, Purge, Astral aim

Paladins: Hammehand

Strikes: Gate

Apothecary: wild card, usually Sanctuary.

Having different powers spread on the same kind of units is awkward and inconsistent. This is why Voldus helps so much, as he allows redundancy on your more reliable powers. Being a character, he's very survivable so you can give him the powers you don't want in your other units. Of course he's also a beast in combat, etc, etc.

https://17890-presscdn-0-51-pagely.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/40K_8th_ed_Update_Grey_Knights_ver_1.0.pdf

FAQ is up. Sanctuary now only grants an invul save up to 3++ I guess this was an issue regarding draigo. Seems you can still use the +1 invul save stratagem on him though

Plus anyone with an Iron Halo formerly would be able to stack the Stratagem and Sanctuary for a 2++ and now it would be one or the other!

Nothing stopping you using sanctuary in psychic phase for 3++, then using Heed for a 2++.

I expect that will be nerfed next faq.

Doesn't Heed say you have to use it at the start of your turn, meaning the GMNDK would already have a 3++ by the time the psychic phase rolled around?

It is at the start of your turn. You are correct. Looks like they don't want us to get a 2++ at all now anymore

Nothing stopping you using sanctuary in psychic phase for 3++, then using Heed for a 2++.

I expect that will be nerfed next faq.

Doesn't Heed say you have to use it at the start of your turn, meaning the GMNDK would already have a 3++ by the time the psychic phase rolled around?

It is at the start of your turn. You are correct. Looks like they don't want us to get a 2++ at all now anymore

• 1 month later...

On a side note, getting the Brotherhood bonus is huge. I've had so many cast and deny rolls tip on that +1 bonus, the fact that it works on Smite as well is fantastic.

After having a few more games, I'm happy with my power allotments. 'Astral Aim' has come in handy a lot more than I predicted, shooting through walls is fantastic and catches people off guard (especially when you cast it outside Deny range). 'Gate' I wish I could cast multiple times, its so useful for repositoning and mostly replaces the need for transports (I was initially planning on having a few Razorbacks, but its proven unnecessary). 'Sanctuary' on my Warlord is fine, I pair him with my other DK GM packing 'Gate' so I can have both available. 'Hammerhand' is handy, I'm not often casting it though.

I think I will be taking Interceptors soon to test 'Vortex'. Still not interested in 'Purge Soul', I've always found Mind War effects to be variable and I typically fight high Leadership armies anyway.  

I gotta say: Astral Aim cast on a Land Raider is bloody good stuff.

My local meta has as adopted the house rules of Ground Floor = LOS Blocking terrain and it's just made the game so much better. There's a much greater need for tactics and manoeuvring. In the midst of this, the thing most opponents least expect is a set of Twin Lascannons shooting them through the security of their walls. This is especially useful against AM who use manticores and basilisk, and even mortar teams. 

I'm thinking about asking the local players if they're interested in adopting the 'ground floor blocks LOS' rule. I think it neatly addresses the issue of terrain being built under previous editions LOS rules and so being riddled with open doorways and windows where, had it been built under 8th edition rules, the same terrain would likley feature solid walls to block LOS.