New scar player! Need some advice/help!

Kimbo

Hi! As im soon done with my primaris force...ive looked at the awesome scars and think i want to start a force with them aswell! I got some questions i would love to get some answers to!

- how do the white scars fair in 8th? Good / bad?

- What units fit best with the chapter tactic and buffs for them? The "must have" units that is to good to ignore! I dont care for fluffy reasons not to use stuff...im open to everything!

- is an bike list still.a good way to play or do you play better mixed with other units?

If you would like...Id really appriciate a Nice starting list for 1000p and 1500p that would be good for a learning player

Thank you in advance!

Kimbo

Well, judging by the amount of replies, not a whole lot of people are playing Scars :/

They took a bit of a hit with the less of Skilled Rider and Jink and the price hike of wargear and the base model. Having said that, they also gained quite a bit. They have an extra wound and they are wounded only on 3+ when shot by S7-9. They also gained firepower with every model having 2-4 Bolter Shots in addition to their Special or Combi Weapons.

Scouts are always useful as Troops. Razorbacks are approaching the silly level. Scout Bikes have become some of favourite units. For 80pts you get 3 models, each having a Twin Bolter and a Shotgun for free, which they can fire both after moving 16", and one has a Grenade Launcher with Assault version of Grenades. And they can retreat with a Stratagem and deal D3 Mortal Wounds.

Speeders are overpriced, but the flyers seem decent. Also stick in some Reivers.

They seem solid, although this is all theory and I have neither played nor played against Bikes this edition... from any faction. I guess they all got tired from bikes and jetbikes of the past editions :D

Yeah, the Scars Subforum is not the part of the Board where the Topics and Replies are rushing along like a White Scars Biker on the Hunt … but, as I really love the chapter and also think of getting into it, I would also love to share thoughts here.

At first I would focus on the Chapter Tactic, because the other Aspects (Stratagem, Warlord, etc.) have smaller impact. "Lightning Assault" supports Movement, Charging and Fighting. So you best look around which units are good in these three things: Bikes, Assault Marines, Vanguard Veterans and Inceptors of course. They move fast (and even faster with the Chapter Tactic) and like Close Combat.

I would also argue that it adds heavily to mobilized Infantry, esp. Rhinos as they are advancing quite often.

Furthermore I would be looking for Units, which typically have Assault type Weapons, because they might want to use their advntage of advancing and shooting more often. Intercessors with Auto Bolt Rifles and Reivers with Bolt Carabines come into mind here.

Also the Aggressors seem to profit quite a lot, as they can even ignore the penalty on advancing and using their assault weapons.

And I can imagine, that Lightning Assault adds to Assault Terminators: Once in Close Combat, they can Fall Back at the Start of their own Turn and then Charge again and gain the Bonuses from that.

P.S.: I removed Rhinos, as they don't benefit from the Chapter Tactic.

Edited by Filius

I think the scars are great in 8th.  They got a bonus to advancing with all units and its bigger with bikes.  Also they got a bump in close combat. Khan gives +1str in cc with in the bubble. Chaplains give a re roll to cc that also helps. Their stratagem is awesome as well. I play scars my self.  While dark angel bikes get jink as long as they advance, but white scars do not. However dark angels do not get company vets on bikes. White scars get company vets on bikes so you can load up on storm shields. I run khan chappy, 10 scouts and 2 five man tac, 2 razors, 3 four man company vet bikes, storm hawk, rifle dread. I sometimes change it up some I have all the parts to a gladius and lots of other options to swap around.  

I think the scars are great in 8th.  They got a bonus to advancing with all units and its bigger with bikes.  Also they got a bump in close combat. Khan gives +1str in cc with in the bubble. Chaplains give a re roll to cc that also helps. Their stratagem is awesome as well. I play scars my self.  While dark angel bikes get jink as long as they advance, but white scars do not. However dark angels do not get company vets on bikes. White scars get company vets on bikes so you can load up on storm shields. I run khan chappy, 10 scouts and 2 five man tac, 2 razors, 3 four man company vet bikes, storm hawk, rifle dread. I sometimes change it up some I have all the parts to a gladius and lots of other options to swap around.

That's great to hear! Interesting List. Thanks for the Motivation!