Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

1500 points (warning, contains conscripts!)

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Wulfgar76

Wulfgar76

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,194 posts

I have an ITC tournament coming up in a couple of weeks and I'm looking at bringing the following list.  It is shamelessly patterned off of Brandon Grant's BAO list so it may look familiar to those who follow the tournament scene. 

Infantry Battalion

Company Commander, boltgun, chainsword

Company Commander, shotgun, chainsword

Commissar, plasma pistol

Commissar, plasma pistol

30 Conscripts

30 Conscripts

30 Conscripts

30 Conscripts

Storm Trooper Battalion

Tempestor Prime, command rod

5 Scions, plasma pistol, 2 plasma guns

5 Scions, plasma pistol, 2 plasma guns​

Taurox Prime, gatling cannon, 2 hotshot volley guns, storm bolter

Artillery Spearhead

Primaris Psyker, force stave

Astropath, laspistol

Basilisk, heavy bolter

Basilisk, heavy bolter

Basilisk, heavy bolter

Wyvern, heavy bolter

Heavy Weapons Squad, 3 mortars

1500 points, 10 CP

The plan is to flood the board with cheap bodies while conducting precision strikes with the scions.  Against assault armies 1-2 conscript blobs deploy forward to take the initial punch and then counter attack with massed shooting. Otherwise, the blobs move forward to engage the enemy battle line and contest objectives while the artillery pounds things.  Fairly simple. I am on the fence with the wyvern.  I would rather include more mortar teams but I don't have them currently.  Maybe drop a basilisk and the wyvern for a manticore? 

ETL_2016_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei02.jpgETL_2015_Banner_02_Custos_Fidei_03.jpg sml_gallery_79710_12195_12198.jpg sml_gallery_79710_12195_16024.jpg

Azarians

Azarians

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 182 posts
I think that a manticore is a good choice, you Can kill 1 tank with the manticore and an another one with the 2 basilisks.

IMO, you don't need a wyvern, you have enough anti infantry with conscripts and mortars, is a solid list for me 😉
  • Halfpint100 likes this

duz_

duz_

++ REPREHENSOR FECTUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,473 posts
I can imagine that being a pain to deal with.

How do you plan to deal with the progressive objectives? The 2 taroux I imagine wont be along too long

Wulfgar76

Wulfgar76

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,194 posts
Progessive missions will take some thought. My initial plan is to be smart with objective placement, use the large foot print of conscripts to hold multiple objectives, and use move, move, move when necessary. Conscripts can cover a surprising amount of ground when doing so. As a last resort, i can always use the scions to drop on an objective if need be.

Exchanging a basilisk and the wyvern for a manticore frees up 87 points. Initial thoughts are to include a lascannon HWS but the terrible BS concerns me. I'm tapped out on scions and infantry models so my choices are limited.

Edited by Wulfgar76, 06 August 2017 - 10:11 PM.

ETL_2016_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei02.jpgETL_2015_Banner_02_Custos_Fidei_03.jpg sml_gallery_79710_12195_12198.jpg sml_gallery_79710_12195_16024.jpg

our_baz

our_baz

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 874 posts
  • Chapter Name: 55th Company Salamanders
The Lascannon HW Squad could be a good distraction. In my last game my opponent spent too much energy on it, leaving my Bassy unmolested and free to wreck havoc.

Edited by our_baz, 07 August 2017 - 06:51 AM.

Halfpint100

Halfpint100

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 446 posts
  • Chapter Name: 32nd Firedrakes

Progessive missions will take some thought. My initial plan is to be smart with objective placement, use the large foot print of conscripts to hold multiple objectives, and use move, move, move when necessary. Conscripts can cover a surprising amount of ground when doing so. As a last resort, i can always use the scions to drop on an objective if need be.

Exchanging a basilisk and the wyvern for a manticore frees up 87 points. Initial thoughts are to include a lascannon HWS but the terrible BS concerns me. I'm tapped out on scions and infantry models so my choices are limited.

Some antitank would be a good shout. You have a lot of anti infantry there already. Lascannon HWT could work. or maybe a master of the ordnance to buff those 4 arty tanks? then maybe buff you commies to lord commies? 

Wulfgar76

Wulfgar76

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,194 posts
The MoO seems rather lackluster since the target needs to be at 36" or greater to use his buff. I don't have any real experience with him to accurately evaluate him. I have also considered using a priest with a power maul to buff the attacking wedge of the conscripts. Hmmm...decisions.

duz_

duz_

++ REPREHENSOR FECTUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,473 posts
If its between a priest and MoO personally I see more value in the Priest.

The 36" restriction on the MoO is odd. Its kinda like they felt the need to keep the minimum indirect fire distance of the Basilisk in some form so slapped it on the MoO.

Halfpint100

Halfpint100

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 446 posts

The priest would be much more effective i think

Stylian_StHugh

Stylian_StHugh

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 53 posts
It's a mean list that will take a lot to shift. Personally Manticores are more efficient than Basilisks. I'd swap them out, drop the Wyvern and Mortar HWTs and then maybe get an Earthshaker battery. Also weigh up GW Manticore tank (great anti MEQ) vs FW Manticore Battery (decent alpha strike AT)

You'll struggle to react to fast moving lists though, more Primes might be an idea

Wulfgar76

Wulfgar76

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,194 posts
I have a couple of earthshaker batteries in the mail but they won't get here in time for the tournament. Also, getting a manticore is like winning the lottery so I only have the one at the moment. Most of what I have left over are chimeras, Russes, missile launchers,lascannons, and special weapons troopers. I'm really not buying anything else until the codex drops.

duz_

duz_

++ REPREHENSOR FECTUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,473 posts
So heads up this may be valid for your event but the FLG guys yesterday strongly hinted at an adjustment to conscript points somewhere on the horizon.

Wulfgar76

Wulfgar76

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,194 posts
Acknowledged. I heard that podcast. It will be interesting to see what they do with conscripts. If they allowed infantry squads to blob up again, conscript spam may not be so prevalent. Right now it's just the most efficient way to put bodies on the board. Messing with that too much will impact how the Guard plays from a fluff perspective. Massed bodies and mass casualties are foundations of the Guard style of war.
  • duz_ likes this

Wulfgar76

Wulfgar76

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,194 posts
I might take a look at putting Celestine in this list. She provides a decent counter assault capability, she's fairly mobile, and if she resurrects I can place her on an objective or in my opponent's backfield for line breaker. If I drop the mortars, plasma pistols, and astropath, I think I can squeeze her in.

Thoughts?

Halfpint100

Halfpint100

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 446 posts
She is a beast for 150. Would you include some germinae superias as well?

Also I doubt they will increase points. Because then the guardsman will need a point increase and they are fine as they are. I think people need to learn how to anti-horde. Or maybe limit the number of conscripts units

Stylian_StHugh

Stylian_StHugh

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 53 posts

She is a beast for 150. Would you include some germinae superias as well?
Also I doubt they will increase points. Because then the guardsman will need a point increase and they are fine as they are. I think people need to learn how to anti-horde. Or maybe limit the number of conscripts units

Main issue is elite armies are struggling with mass firepower. Most of the old blast weapons are really lackluster now
  • Halfpint100 likes this

Halfpint100

Halfpint100

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 446 posts

Heavy bolter devastators are great and cheap though! i dont see why people dont take them. or twin assault razorbacks (seems to be marine armies that i have faced that struggle with the horde). 

Wulfgar76

Wulfgar76

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,194 posts
Version 2
Infantry Battalion

Company Commander, boltgun
Company Commander, boltgun

Commissar, boltgun
Commissar, boltgun

30 conscripts
30 conscripts
30 conscripts
23 conscripts

Storm TroopEr Battalion

Taurox Prime, gatling cannon, 2 hotshot volley guns

Artillery Spearhead

Celestine

Basilisk
Basilisk
Manticore

1500, 10 CP

The smaller conscript blob now has the sole role of bubble wrap/home objective camping or maybe flank protection to keep them in range of the commissar. I'm not sure how I feel about this list yet.

duz_

duz_

++ REPREHENSOR FECTUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,473 posts

Certainly packs a punch! And now all your troops get obsec! ;)

You should have enough on the board (hopefully) to not be shot off the board turn 5 with some smart placement and use of cover / LOS blocking

• Wulfgar76 likes this

Wulfgar76

Wulfgar76

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,194 posts
The obsec ability is huge for conscript spam. I can almost taste the salt my opponents are going to be pouring on me. Lol.

Stylian_StHugh

Stylian_StHugh

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 53 posts

New list is mean and has similarities to the top BAO list currently. 

Wulfgar76

Wulfgar76

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,194 posts

New list is mean and has similarities to the top BAO list currently.

Yes, I patterned my army heavily after his within the smaller points requirements.

I won't be able to do it for this tournament but moving forward I may take a look at including some sabre searchlights. I think they could really enhance my infantry shooting. 30 conscripts with FRFSRF hitting on 4+ seems pretty powerful. I just have to figure out how to model them.

Wulfgar76

Wulfgar76

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,194 posts
So after a couple of games with this list I have found that I really need a source of rerolls for the artillery. Being the long range killing power I think they need someone like Yarrick or Harker to babysit them. Also my basilisk guns may need to be lowered since enemy units can shoot it if any part of the model can be seen. I lost both basilisks on turn one in a game because lascannons could see the very tip of the gun tube.

The scions hit hard so no real complaints there. The conscripts do well at clogging up movement lanes and holding objectives although razorback heavy lists do put a significant dent in them.

Stylian_StHugh

Stylian_StHugh

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 53 posts

This is why Batteries are better: lower set. Also, Manticores have even lower profile  

Back the Conscripts with Tarantulas? Adds much needed higher strength shooting to said firelanes

Wulfgar76

Wulfgar76

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,194 posts
I received a couple of 1/35 scale WW2 artillery pieces that will serve as my earthshaker batteries. They're a pain to assemble but are close to the FW model in size.

I do not own any tarantulas and they're a little pricy from FW. I might look into a scratch build option. I'll consider this more seriously as I expand the list to 2k.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users