MJRWAUDs Deathwatch so far...

mjrwaud

As our anticipation, excitement, and optimism grows before the (eventual?) release of our 8E codex, I thought it'd be motivational (for me) to record my Deathwatch forces so far... at least what's painted.

Comments and suggestions are definitely welcome and appreciated!

Edited by mjrwaud

Thats alot of SS/Combi weapons. How do they work out on the battlefield? if I knew how to upload, I could show you some on mine.

P.S. I actually find making bases alot more fun than paint the actually figure :biggrin.:

To be completely honest, I haven't given them a try since 8E happened... they were all built for 7E (along with the rest of my assembled but unpainted 3k+ Deathwatch army).

They're definitely too expensive to give to every marine, but I do feel that a couple in each kill-team can make a difference... or a Thunder hammer / Storm shield terminator.

Decent stuff, I particularly like the little alterations to the Watchmaster and the painted dread. On the former I think the head is a much better fit, not a fan of the old bearded man look for a space marine still expected to engage in active combat. The blade effect is cool, too. As is the palette on your dread, it's very nice.

I'm really taken with the SS/Combi-Weapon look. Functionally, I envisage them as being put into utterly unavoidably intense zones of operation. It's a great look!

The rest are pretty lovely too, if course, but they really caught my eye! The Salamanders sergeant is damn pretty too!

Thanks! I'm a big fan of the stormshield look, having  few in each squad to stay up front and take the shots... too bad they're so costly!

I never really liked the Salamander chapter before, but they're really growing on me.

Decent stuff, I particularly like the little alterations to the Watchmaster and the painted dread. On the former I think the head is a much better fit, not a fan of the old bearded man look for a space marine still expected to engage in active combat. The blade effect is cool, too. As is the palette on your dread, it's very nice.

Thanks, they're the first miniatures I've painted since a long hiatus from the hobby... almost 20 yrs (damn I'm getting old). Skills and eyesight have gotten a bit rusty since I worked at a GW in the mid 90's (London, Ont.) but each marine has been a small improvement. I went for a quick and dirty armour method so far to get some finished, but should switch to a slower edge highlighting method in the future... and eyes / gems are definitely a weak point for me at the moment. Totally agree, I like that head better for the Watchmaster (I'll do another conversion with a helmet after I get a bit better) and I wanted to give a little more of a xenos look to the guardian spear, but my blending needs work... especially the lighting effects I tried on the Razorback. Any advice?

I hope the next dreadnought is even better than the first! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Late to the party, but those are some awesome minis!  I like the lighting effect on the RB (I've never been brave enough to try it).  Is the "red Power Fist marine" a Blackshield?  :huh.:

Thanks! I'm getting better with each squad... got some shotgunners on the go right now, trying to find a balance between quick and quality.

I know what you mean about psyching yourself up to try a lighting effect (especially without an airbrush). It's not as smooth as it could be, but looks okay from a distance... all I did was really thin down some yellow (Yriel) with lahmian medium and start with a wide cone shape and build up layers getting narrower each time.

Yeah, a blackshield with a red fist for my combi-melta squad... silver might have looked better, but he's easier to spot on the table this way. :D

Neat combat blade attachments!  What made you decide to go for the shoulderpad shields?

Thanks!  

I figured that shotgun vets would need to get a little more "up close and personal" in combat so the blades and a little more armour would be useful, and the shoulder shields seemed to fit well... I guess from a "realism" standpoint they'd be more useful on the other shoulder... ;)

I try to have everything wysiwyg (and no real desire to magnetize) so tried carving the hand off the front grip of the shotgun to mix up the weapon combinations and found that time consuming (old man powerfist is the only one I finished) but wanted to be able to say these guys might have power swords/axes or sgt. with xenophase blade so added the blades (might repaint 'em) and strapped storm shields to a few of their backs.